Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you out there have thought about riding less or out right selling your r6 because of the increased cost of just about everything. As prices for food, gas, and just about everything goes up how are you paying for it?

I know that some of you are going to say that it saves money because your r6 is your daily driver but for many of us it’s just a hobby.

What do you think?

·
live to ride ride to live
162 Posts
never do buddy!! not unless its absolutely necessary. its my time to get away from all that stuff

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have had to stop buying things for it as much as I was before. I do think I will ride it more often as a commuter because it uses half the gas that my cage does. I travel 33 miles each way to work in moderate to heavy traffic though so I don't want to resort to riding everyday. I have found that riding it cuts back on expenses in the respect that if I use that to occupy my time the only money I spend is on gas instead of other stupid sh** that I don't need.

·
Watch out, I'm riding!
378 Posts
My bike's my daily ride, anyway. And honestly, the whole economic problem is one of the reasons I got a bike instead of a cage. It ends up being cheaper all 'round.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
I commuted as much as I could by bike even when gas was a dollar so I can't say I am riding it more. I am not riding less certainly. The economy isn't slowing down here in Iowa, but of coarse gas is still high.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm not doing anymore 100 joy rides after work...that's 15 bucks in fuel these days. But I am riding it whenever I can so that I don't have to use the cage (at 13 MPG). Then agian, it snowed here yesterday (Montana-arg)

·
Registered
81 Posts
i would never sell my bike for food or gas, i would rather be homeless w/my bike than bikeless w/a home. but im sure that will never happen.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not focusing on just consumables like gas. Im talking about the whole cost. Insurance, gear, financing (for some), lost opportunity cost from the money you would have if you sold your bike. Its more then just "gas is expensive"

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
no way...I'll stop driving before i stop riding

·
Registered
313 Posts
Im not focusing on just consumables like gas. Im talking about the whole cost. Insurance, gear, financing (for some), lost opportunity cost from the money you would have if you sold your bike. Its more then just "gas is expensive"
But gas is the #1 factor for most people. If they already owned the bike then all the $$ going out for insurance, payment, is steady and allotted for. The main difference is gas prices. They must choose to use their vehicles less or cut back somewhere else.

I'm not sure what answer you want..."I had to sell every part of my gear except my helmet, I cut back my insurance to liability, and I dropped my healthcare at work so now I only ride in 35 mph zones and then I ride at 20 mph and watch everyone like they are out to get me." :dunce:

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
Oh ive been on a budget since i get mine a lil more than a month ago. but in about 3 week ill be a college grad and get to play with real money... no more working for 9$ an hour or tips.. bling time.. ill stimulate the economy

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
considering my Ford is a deisel and that is at $4.25 a gallon, i am finding that i am forced to run more errands on the scooter cause its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper!!

Good problem to have maybe??

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually BOUGHT the R6 because of the Economic conditions (well, that's one reason). I wanted something I could have fun with, and a bike was much cheaper than a second, faster car.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah I ride way more now, because everytime I turn on the TV someone else is bitching about the economy. My TV viewing and newspaper reading has been deeply hurt by this economic slowdown though :lmao

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
yeah i ride a helluva alot more now than i used to rain shine cold hot i'm up on tw0
though i prolly spend more because i get "lost" coming home

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
In NJ its cheaper to ride a bike than your car with all the other costs. And it gets 30 mpg at 70-90 mph.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts