1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am really hoping you can help me!
I have a 2006 Yamaha YZF R6.
Problems started just over a momth ago. The bike would start bogging down, misfiring, sounded awful and would not go above 35-40mph.
If you tried to push past this speed the whole bike would start rocking back and forth quite violently.

I changed the spark plugs, took the bike out, it flew for 20 minutes and then the old problems came back.

I then did some reserach and it pointed towards an ignition coil problem. So all four coil packs were changed, again took the bike out, this time it sounded a bit off from
the start, 10 minutes down the road the engine management light came on and then the bike cut out completely. Fault codes 35 and 36 were flashing on the dash.

Bike wouldnt start so a mate had to come pick me up in his van.

Fault codes 35 and 36 are an open circuit on ignition coils #3 and #4. Swapped all the coil packs around to see if it was a coil issue and it didnt matter what way round I had
them still got the same fault codes. So coil packs are fine.

Further research then pointed to a faulty ECU. I found a secondhand one and tried it on the bike, this ECU cleared the fault codes, but the bike would only crank, not fire.
Seems to be this ECU just isnt communicating with the bike or is faulty also.
There is fuel, spark and compression, so the issue is electrical. Put the old ECU back in and it did the same thing with fault codes

All wires have been checked and are ok.

I am honestly at the end of my tether now, I believe the issue is an ECU problem, but finding a second hand ECU for this bike is seemingly impossible.

Please, if anyone can help, any ideas on what the problem is or anywhere I can get an ECU. I have checked breakers yards and ebay many times.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same exact issues for me, has been to the dealer three times to no avail. It's currently at Reno Powersports in Kansas City, first was told to replace the exhaust so I did (1400$), insisted they ride it to make sure the problem was fixed(they confirmed it was working as intended a 2nd time and that the problem was fixed) so I had it towed 50 miles to me(250$), a day later it was doing the same thing and eventually died whilst riding it, Check engine came on and received codes 34 and 36. Had it towed back TO Renos and was then told I needed to replace the coils, quoted at 150$ per for a total of 600$ plus labor, I said fine if that will fix it. Now the coils have been replaced and the tech said that did not fix the problem, and that the ECU needs replaced for 1500$!!! Unbelievable 3 grand down the drain for a problem they said would be fixed with each repair and now they are asking for 1500$ more! Could of bought a whole new bike for the money if spent on this.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Same exact issues for me, has been to the dealer three times to no avail. It's currently at Reno Powersports in Kansas City, first was told to replace the exhaust so I did (1400$), insisted they ride it to make sure the problem was fixed(they confirmed it was working as intended a 2nd time and that the problem was fixed) so I had it towed 50 miles to me(250$), a day later it was doing the same thing and eventually died whilst riding it, Check engine came on and received codes 34 and 36. Had it towed back TO Renos and was then told I needed to replace the coils, quoted at 150$ per for a total of 600$ plus labor, I said fine if that will fix it. Now the coils have been replaced and the tech said that did not fix the problem, and that the ECU needs replaced for 1500$!!! Unbelievable 3 grand down the drain for a problem they said would be fixed with each repair and now they are asking for 1500$ more! Could of bought a whole new bike for the money if spent on this.
god damn man you got hit hard. there are factory service manuals available for downloading and the bike has a built in diagnostic function that you can use to test all of the electronics on the bike.
codes 34 and 36 are open circuits to the ignition coils. 34 is coil #2 and 36 is #4. it says nothing about possible ecu causing this issue.
so you have a few bad wires somewhere to the coils.
check the wiring close to the fans. there has been several guys with cut wires from the fans.
link to the factory service manual, http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

I would go get your bike back from that place man. they are just throwing parts at it because the service tech doesn't know what he is doing. ask them to see his yamaha certification. I bet he doesn't have one.

personally for both of you if I was having this issue I'd start with buying a new wiring harness. I could fix it but it sounds like you guys don't have much experience. and finding shorts in wiring can be daunting task since it is like a pile of spaghetti.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response,

Are you referencing the harness that directly connects to the injectors?

Reno's is a certified Yamaha dealer and the manager has assured me he is one of the best in Kansas/Missouri (Which is probably not saying much). The first time I took it in I insisted on them checking the coils and spark plugs to make sure they were seated correctly. Unfortunately I do not think they followed through with that inspection and are now blaming a janky aftermarket Chinese made coil that the tech (who is apparently now on vacation) believes has fried the ECU. I think the bike sat for a year or two prior to me purchasing it and from what I have read, that points to either the primary or secondary injector(s) being faulty or clogged with fuel.

The problem is intermittent and is mainly present around 5-6k rpm.

Either way I at least wanted to make this post to encourage people to avoid sending their bikes there, the technician might be well educated but he clearly neglected the appropriate diagnositic procedures and they are only now (once he gets off vacation) doing what needed to be done the first time.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
no I'm talking about the entire wiring harness for the bike. it would be connected to everything.
you should be able to find them on ebay pretty easy. of course you could remove it to inspect the wiring. i would think you have a bad spot in the wiring for the ignition coils.

that mechanic doesn't sound too great in my opinion. the problem is intermittent. that's a tell tail sign it's a wiring issue.

no sense in replacing an expensive ecu and leave the old wiring harness in there. but that's just my opinion.

even if you had clogged injectors that would not cause the two fault codes. it's telling you exactly what's wrong with the bike. the wiring. it could be the coils too however. once they get hot they may stop working properly and the ecu thinks the circuit is open (shorted wiring). the coils are a common problem on the R6. don't buy knock offs. buy OEM yamaha. www.partshark.com is usually pretty reasonable on oem parts.

what you could try is putting the #2 and #4 coils on the #3 and #1 cylinders and see if you get a code for #1 and 3. this will tell you if the coils are bad or it's the wiring. this is one of the best ways to pinpoint a bad coil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys I am new here I have 2006 R6 it lose power and code appears 34 and 36 I changed coils spark plus everything but cyclinder 1 and 2 not working I checked injectors cyclinder 1 and 2 not spraying but 3 and 4 are can some one help me how to clear code 34 Or I need new Ecu ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you checked the charging circuit?? Faulty R/R or battery will mess with the ecu data .. it's not quite ur symptoms but you should rule them out as a cause.

To clear codes you need to enter diag 62 (check that) and flip the KS on then off.. this clears all stored error codes. Short ride on the bike after and recheck stored codes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts