Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Good find Pen..... I love watching racing that is so close they can smell each others' tires... Rarely do you get that with four-wheeled vehicles now a days .... Imola... such a nice track too, if you ignore the fact Senna and Ratzenberger died there all in the span of a weekend... 1994... black times...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Great find man, thats what we all aspire to be, pity about the music which covers what would of been a excellent racing commentary.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Man wish I could do that!!! How the hell do you lean like that n bring the bike up for the opposite lean... :idea:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sausage said:
Man wish I could do that!!! How the hell do you lean like that n bring the bike up for the opposite lean... :idea:
i read an article interviewing edwards after the race. they asked him a similar question and his answer was "i post nude pics of my girlfriend" you should try :hammer

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
BRAVO said:
Great find man, thats what we all aspire to be, pity about the music which covers what would of been a excellent racing commentary.
i'm trying to get the entire race, if you're interested let me know.

·
Registered
995 Posts
defo interested mate. its WorldSuperBikes, possibly around 2001/2002,maybe earlyer, couldn't work out the track though.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BRAVO said:
defo interested mate. its WorldSuperBikes, possibly around 2001/2002,maybe earlyer, couldn't work out the track though.
holy shit! it fuckin lives! i anyone finds it, Delta will and if he doesn't then we beat the shit out of him. simple plan really.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The 2002 season of Worldsuperbike was probably one of the closest finishes ever. It was the stuff of legend and would have made a great documentary. The two main competitors for the year were Troy Bayliss on the Ducati and Colin Edwards (The Texas Tornado) on the Honda RC51. Edwards was the World Superbike champion in 2000, but Troy Bayliss was World Superbike Champion in 2001. 2002 was up for grabs but Bayliss was the favorite.

By mid-season Troy Bayliss had a huge lead over the rest of the World Superbike riders while Colin Edwards was still struggling to get the settings right on his RC51. Then one day Colin Edwards tried one of his old settings on his RC51, and everything just clicked. His lap times dropped dramatically, and Edwards kept the suspension settings exactly the same for each race after that. World Superbike runs two races a weekend on the same track. You race in both races. By the last racing weekend of the year, Colin Edwards had shrunk the gap down to 1 or 2 points, but he was still behind.

In some of the closest, paint-trading races ever, Colin Edwards won both races, becoming the WorldSuperbike Champion again in 2002.

Epilogue: Everyone knew that Bayliss and Edwards were going to move on to MotoGP. Bayliss picked up the Ducati factory MotoGP, while Honda offered Edwards a spot on a lesser satellite team with less quality tires. It was a huge insult to Edwards, who just finished one of the best seasons of the year for Honda, bringing Honda the World Superbike title. With pressure from American Honda, Honda gave the premier team slot on their factory team to Nicky Hayden instead. And while I like Nicky Hayden and the AMA, I still think Edwards should have gotten the seat. He just finished one of the most entertaining World Superbike seasons in a long time, but Honda gave him the shaft. Edwards ended up signing with Aprilia for 2003 in MotoGP. He had a lot of problems with the Aprilia Cube (pronounced Coo Bay), one of the biggest being the bike exploding in flames while he was riding it. His fellow rider Noriyuki Haga also had a shitload of problems, crashing out almost 24 times. Haga went back to World Superbike in 2004, and Edwards moved back to Honda with Fausto Gresini's Telefonica Honda team (still a satellite team with an older Honda bike).

Now Edwards will be riding the Yamaha M1 in 2005. Hopefully he'll do well.

·
Registered
995 Posts
top writeup mate.... now has anyone found that video?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
BRAVO said:
top writeup mate.... now has anyone found that video?
the guy i'm talking to says his ISP only allows him about 800 mb of upload/month so he won't be able to upload it to me. so instead, he's going to snailmail it to me if he gets a chance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts