Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to say I'm cheap would be a gross understatement. So naturally, when I wanted to get a rear seat cowl, and saw the $$$, I decided just to make my own.

Of course, I didn't think to take pictures at the time, so I can only show you the finished product. What I did was tear off the seat cover from the existing rear seat. I then used a large piece of fiberglass cloth mat as a seat cover, and installed it over the foam as such.

With the fiberglass cloth in place, I mixed up a healty batch of resin and applied it to the cloth, Being sure to push the resin into the cloth. After that dried, I built up a few layers of Fiberglass Resin Jelly. Then sanded..and sanded...and sanded. After a while I realized I didn't like the ledge that stuck forward from the existing seat shape, so I made a line across and cut the front off with an angle grinder. Using the cloth, resin, jelly procedure I had used on the rest of the "cowl", I built the front edge.

Then, you guessed it, more sanding (damn I hate sanding)

Anywhoo, sent it off with the other stuff I had getting painted and Viola! Instant $15 seat cowl. Not perfect, but not bad either.....

·
Registered
482 Posts
thats fu*king great!

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
after seeing just the 1st pic i thought u were bluffing and that was actually the aftermarket seat cowl for $$$....

great job... u r talented
so, how long did it take u from start to finish?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after seeing just the 1st pic i thought u were bluffing and that was actually the aftermarket seat cowl for $$$....

great job... u r talented
so, how long did it take u from start to finish?
Well, actual time with my hands on it, about 3-4 hours (did I mention i hate sanding?) Calender wise about a week. I was careful to let each layer dry thoroughly before applying the next one, so I spent about 20-30 min a night doing resin work, then letting it dry till the next day. Then a fun filled night of sanding.

·
Registered
324 Posts
very nice work and looks super clean!

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Great work & you beat me to the punch.Im in the process of finding me a cheap Rr cowl.I may just make my own frame & cowl/cover since id like a larger area to store junk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great work & you beat me to the punch.Im in the process of finding me a cheap(another cheapskate who wont pay $$$ for the aftermarket cowls) Rr seat.I may just make my own frame & cowl/cover since id like a larger area to store junk.
Yeah, I had thought about removing the foam after I had cut the front off, but I didn't know how it solid it was going to turn out.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have just used the seat a a mold, and released the Fiberglass cloth after the initial resin coat. Then built a frame like you say. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are all the views I have of the cowl....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, looks nice.
I also have an R6 1st gen and I'm planning on doing this seat cowl diy thing, as there are not much cowls for 1st gen out there, and the ones I found are quite expensive.

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
looks pretty good, and th eprice was right!

·
Yes this is me in the pic
137 Posts
Well, to say I'm cheap would be a gross understatement. So naturally, when I wanted to get a rear seat cowl, and saw the $$$, I decided just to make my own.

Of course, I didn't think to take pictures at the time, so I can only show you the finished product. What I did was tear off the seat cover from the existing rear seat. I then used a large piece of fiberglass cloth mat as a seat cover, and installed it over the foam as such.

With the fiberglass cloth in place, I mixed up a healty batch of resin and applied it to the cloth, Being sure to push the resin into the cloth. After that dried, I built up a few layers of Fiberglass Resin Jelly. Then sanded..and sanded...and sanded. After a while I realized I didn't like the ledge that stuck forward from the existing seat shape, so I made a line across and cut the front off with an angle grinder. Using the cloth, resin, jelly procedure I had used on the rest of the "cowl", I built the front edge.

Then, you guessed it, more sanding (damn I hate sanding)

Anywhoo, sent it off with the other stuff I had getting painted and Viola! Instant $15 seat cowl. Not perfect, but not bad either.....

Now what do you think the guys the actually make the seat cowls do! you just saved your self a shit load of money.. its not cheap. its thrifty!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts