Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i was riding around one day and all the sudden i look at the display and i notice there is no lights on no speed rpm... etc then the bike just stops running and im coasting so i let the clutch out down shift and it starts up and gets running....

so im on my way home after that and then it shuts off again .... as i pull in... so i replace the battery.... and after a couple days of good riding it does it again... and now it needs a jump to start.... but it wont stay running.... correct me if im wrong... but ive been told that it is the regulator reciprecator...? i just thought it was the alternator or like object.... please i need help fixing this so i can ride again before the summer is over !!!

Thanks in advance

-Travis

·
Registered
592 Posts
There is no charge to the battery,could be caused by alt./reg etc. Need to have the charging system diagnoised for the problem.

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
sure u just dont have a bad key cyl? otherwise maybe a relay?

the Reg Recip on these is different than an alternator, that's what our "stators" are for (unless im a complete 'tard) Spose it could be the reg shorting, but... hmm... I'd get the test light going, strip the fairings off and start wiggling wires... (or take to a dealer... electrical issues can be a biotch)

·
Will work for tires.
169 Posts
Sounds like a bad stator or rectifier man. If you replaced the battery and that one died then your bike is not charging the battery after you start it. stator is under the cover on the left side of the bike and the rectifier on an 06 is up by the left clip on and looks like a little grill. if you don't know what your doing take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When your rectifier dies, or the plug goes, you will have no charge going to the battery. Which would kill the battery. The stator rarely goes, it's always the rectifier. I just had the same issue you were talking about. You lose temperature, all your guages turn off, headlights, and eventually the bike jerks all crazy and starts backfiring and dies completely.

Your rectifier probably took a shit. Mine did the same stuff yours did. If you charge the battery and run the bike you're gonna run primarily on battery, which will make the charging system (mainly the wires coming out of the plug that goes INTO your rectifier) really hot and they will melt themselves into the plug and ruin the wires, plug and rectifier. Break out a voltmeter. The wires out of the stator should output 80v, the rectifier should output 14.3 and the battery 12.8

Rectifiers are $95 at your Yamaha Dealer. $10 for the new little plug, but I'll tell you to go get some legit connectors with a rubber tip and use di-electric grease because the actual connectors they will sell you are total shit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah thats exacly and i mean EXACLY what happend to mine.

yourll be fine my brother. juss whats stated above i oaid 109$ all together and im just waiting for my pops to help me put it on.
but thast exacly how it started to go to. in philly (i live in southern nj) it did that and i had to get random black guys to push it for me but they were even tellin me (aye man i haev a busa ad my rectifire went its aite dog its aite) just be glad its not ur altinator or sumthin important and exspensive.
OH YEAH TO ANYONE WHOS RUNNING OFF TEH BATTERY. YOU ONLY GET 17 MILES hahah trust me i know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yea, I had the same thing happen on my 02.... The wires going into the rectifier were melted and shorting out. I rewired mine and that was over a year ago. Good to go now. It gets hot where Yamaha put the rectifier. Pull the plug off of it and look at it, you may be able to get away without buying a new one.... I burnt out 3 batteries before I figured it out....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok just got the word from the dealer... willy world out her in chicago found that it is indeed the stator... however they want like $700 to fix it ... instead ill just do it my self i have a manual for it so it shouldnt be a problem... thanks for all inquirys though!!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts