Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a wrecked '08 r6 this last fall and have been fixing it up. Everything is back together and I'm down to a few small minor things to sort out. One thing I'm curious about is the brake light. With the side stand down when I turn the key on the brake light is on. When I lift the side stand the brake light goes out and I just have the running light. This is all with the bike NOT running. Is this normal? I've searched the service manual and cant find any info on it.

Would anyone be willing to go check on their R6 for me?

Thanks

·
arrrr 1 this
22 Posts
I picked up a wrecked '08 r6 this last fall and have been fixing it up. Everything is back together and I'm down to a few small minor things to sort out. One thing I'm curious about is the brake light. With the side stand down when I turn the key on the brake light is on. When I lift the side stand the brake light goes out and I just have the running light. This is all with the bike NOT running. Is this normal? I've searched the service manual and cant find any info on it.

Would anyone be willing to go check on their R6 for me?

Thanks
Brake switch and stand switch on different sides. Something got crossed in the harness. No not normal. How muach damage did you start with? Has the bike been exposed to the weather?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the entire harness was replaced because of a broken plug into the ECU. Most of the damage was cosmetic except for the sub frame.

The bike hasnt been exposed to weather.

My only thought was maybe it was a saftey thing yamaha came up with to have the brake light come on when the side stand is down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the entire harness was replaced because of a broken plug into the ECU. Most of the damage was cosmetic except for the sub frame.

The bike hasnt been exposed to weather.

My only thought was maybe it was a saftey thing yamaha came up with to have the brake light come on when the side stand is down.
Sounds almost like the brake connector and the neutral switch got connected together....check under the tank..there is a white connector and and brown connector that should be connected to thier respective colors not with each other. They are both 2 prong connectors(but the neutral switch only has one prong) so they might be able to connect with each other on accident. Its under the tank on the right side

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so a little update. I've been out there trying to get it fired up as well. That was the other issue I was having. Before I tore it down to replace all the broken parts I started it up. It started right up. Sounded great. No issues. A month or so ago I was messing with it and tried to start it and it just turned over but never fired. I could hear the fuel pump prime but still nothing.

So today I pulled the air box cover and sprayed some starting fluid in the intakes because I couldn't see the injectors firing. try to start it and it starts. So i swap in a different fuel pump and it seems good to go now. I didn't run it long though because the tank was pretty much dry. Tomorrow I will get some fresh fuel and let it warm up. So that problem is solved I think.

Now the brake light. Its definitely not normal. I can turn the key on with the kick stand up, brake light comes on. put the kick stand down, it goes out. Any time the brake light goes out the front brake switch works. The rear wont though.

Turn the bike off, kick stand down, turn the bike on, brake light on.

So basically it comes on in whatever position its in when I turn the key to on. So something is definitely hay wire.

Do the rear turn signals act as running lights like the front turn signals do?

byrdman - I'll go check to see if that's the case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kick stand up it's like completing the circuit to the ECU or in this case the rear brake light....it has to be it I betcha

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I got it figured out. There are two plugs that are identical. One from the rear brake. And one off the side stand. And they are both the perfect length to reach each others mating plug. They are both black connectors and both have plastic coverings over the wires. So you have so either 1. know the wiring better than I do, or 2. slide the cover back and look at the color of wires going into the plug.

Good call byrdman :cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Schweet I guess I was off on the colors of the connectors but I knew that had to be the prob. Glad u got it sorted out....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts