Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 00 r6. my question is, when i press the brake my headlights and my speedo dim. when i apply a volt meter lets say my voltage is 13.50v, i press the brake and the voltage drops to approx. 12v. is that drop in voltage normal? im a newbie at this but i came to the conclusion that the drop in voltage when the brake is applied is dimming my headlights and speedo. can anyone give me some help. thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
You have high resistance in your brake light circuit. Check for loose, dirty or corroded connections. Also check that it has a good ground. If you dont find anything that looks bad, use an OHM meter and check all the wiring in the circuit for high resistance. Remember to have the circuit OFF when checking OHMs!

Sometimes an OHM meter will not show a faulty wire due to the fact that the meter is using its own power source when testing (very small amount of voltage) which doesnt require as good of a conductor as the 12 volts would. I'd check for a voltage drop across all the wires in the circuit. You must have the brake lights on when testing for a voltage drop. Any wire that has more than a .5v drop, replace the wire. Connectors and switches should have 0.

-Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts