Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has just started bogging down when i give it alot of gas. I have seen a major loss of power when i try to accelerate very quick. I dont know if its the plugs, carbs or maybe a valve ajustment. Anyone had this? I would like to get it fixed so i can really ride again. I dont want to hurt the bike if there is a problem! The bike has 24,000 miles, fresh oil, i dont know when the plugs were replaced or anything like that. I just put a can of Sea Foam into her and ran if for a few, not much difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
im having the same problem when i get on it on the highway it bogs down and dies. im pretty positive its not spark plug cause the day before it started doin this i changed them out. now im leanin towards cleaning carbs or jets. let me kno if you figure anything out.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
If you put seafoam in it and it still doesn't help then tune and maybe clean the carbs, plugs and wires. It could potentially be expensive... wires for my 04 were gonna be 75 apiece.
________

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bike is a 2000, how tuff is it to clean/get to the carbs i have rebuilt plenty of carbs and totally understand them but not to sure on this one, i should get a shop manual for spec and torque settings. The guy at the shop told me he could hook it up to the computer and go from there but it sounds like it needs a valve adjustment. Expensive??? How much do plugs and wires run and a carb rebuild kit???? It doesnt die, it stops once i let off the throttle a little and just slowly bring it up. I just want my old bike back when i hit the thottle she want to fly out from under me!!!

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
This doesn't have to be expensive, most anything wrong with it can be diagnosed and fixed on your own.

Since you don't know when your plugs were changed, I'd have a look at them, they wouldn't cause this issue, but they should be changed and it'll give you a chance to check your coils while you're down there.

First culprit would be the filters IMO. Check your air filter - make sure it's clean or relatively so. Lift it and check the butterfly thingies inside of the stack - sometimes a dirty filter will allow dirt through causing one or more to stick, it often results in hesitation.

Check your fuel filter - if you haven't replaced it in a while and if it's too chocolaty inside, replace it. Fuel pump on the way out will also cause high-rev/speed stutter and hesitation. Pull the hose that goes from the pump to the carbs at the end closer to the carbs. Get a container and put the hose in the container, turn on the pump for about 10 seconds. You should get a healthy flow, from it, maybe 15-20ml.

Last but not least - if you've cleared everything regarding air, fuel and spark before the carbs - time to get into the carbs. You'll need to clean them at least. check main and pilot jets - check the float level (may be too low based on your description of the problem).

Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey mine is a 04 and it has that problem I really need to get it fixed I just did a oil change new oil filter new spark plugs and fuel injector cleaner and it still doing it
What's the milage? Might be time to lash the valves and sync the throttle bodies. Hell, couldn't hurt...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts