Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2005 Raven R6
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding pretty much everyday since I bought my 05 Raven (3500 miles) and I'm at 33,000 miles. When riding today the engine hesitates and was sputtering under load. In neutral and revving I can still feel the hesitation. It 'feels' like one cylinder is not firing.

I did not do the 28K valve adjustment yet. What may be the problem...new wires, spark plugs needed....valve adjustment?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
well if you do absolutely NO recommended and obvious maintenance .. what do you expect?

it could be LOTS of different things but i would start by letting it get hot, spray a mist of water on the headers and see if they are all firing. Water should boil off instantly on all four.

Next i would just replace the spark plugs cause it should of been done 20 THOUSAND miles ago... and maby replace your coils.

start from there and see what happens, thats atleast cheap stuff, but yes you probably need a valve adjustment also..

+ you probably need a new air filter, i had the original in the 03 when i bought it, bike only had 13k on it, the filter disintegrated into nothing when i attempted to remove it from its casing..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have the individual stick coils checked. They are a weak spot on the R6. Eventually they begin to fail (the engine heat trashes them), and going by your mileage, that sounds about right: 30,000 miles plus or minus is about the use to expect from them. Having the high-mileage bike on this forum (92,000 miles), I've replaced all my coils at some point, some more than once.

They're expensive--over $100 each. But if you ride a lot it's a good idea to have 1 or 2 extra new coils on hand as spares--in my case they've been needed.

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
Sounds like coils...mines at 30k as well

·
2005 Raven R6
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be riding it 15 miles to the shop, should hold up for the trip this Saturday? (don't want to pay $200 for towing) I'm going to perform the valve check, oil change, replace air filter, replace spark plugs, replace coils...should I do a compression check as well?

@TonySanDiego - 92,000 miles! that is impressive sir. Are you still using the same pistons and piston rings, did you lose any compression up to this point?

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
The coils wont stop it from running (it did stop mine from idling though haha) but it'll run like shit.
I correct this by saying if they are not too far out of spec it wont lol.Since your's still running I think you'll be fine.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
Have the individual stick coils checked. They are a weak spot on the R6. Eventually they begin to fail (the engine heat trashes them), and going by your mileage, that sounds about right: 30,000 miles plus or minus is about the use to expect from them. Having the high-mileage bike on this forum (92,000 miles), I've replaced all my coils at some point, some more than once.

They're expensive--over $100 each. But if you ride a lot it's a good idea to have 1 or 2 extra new coils on hand as spares--in my case they've been needed.
Why have I never seen you before? I'd remember a guy who has 92k on an 07 R6:eek5.

Yeah those spark plugs should have been changed at 8k, and the valves adjusted at 26k

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Awesome thats a lot of stuff at once OP.

While they are in there i would go ahead and have a compression test done also see if there are any problems with seals.

With coils they are pretty damn pricy from a dealer, i would say get a used set from a new wrecked bike, will cost less then a quarter of dealer cost for new coils.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got an 04 R6 and replace oil and oil filter every 6 months. Spark plugs every 12 months.

Its supposed to be oil every 4000 miles or 6 months, and spark plugs every 8000 miles or 12 months whatever comes first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts