Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was going to work this morning and I was behind this f-150 who brake pretty quick. I was going about 60 and I reacted by applying the front brake and rear and the clutch was engage (I'm pretty sure of it) I fished tail but manage to control the bike (which means that my rear locked) I pulled over to the left shoulder and noticed my bike engine has stalled.

This is a 2003 R6, I'm really new to riding this type of bikes, my last was ex500 and sv650.

What casued my rear to lockup and my engine to die like that?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You probably hit the rear brake too hard and caused it to lock up. Or you may have pressed down on the shifter during your sudden reaction without realizing it, causing you to do some heavy engine braking which can lock up the rear wheel.

But if you left the clutch engaged and you were were going 60 and stayed in gear, it caused you to drop the rpm's too low to keep the motor running, which will stall it.

It's no different in the ex or sv..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably hit the rear brake too hard and caused it to lock up. Or you may have pressed down on the shifter during your sudden reaction without realizing it, causing you to do some heavy engine braking which can lock up the rear wheel.

But if you left the clutch engaged and you were were going 60 and stayed in gear, it caused you to drop the rpm's too low to keep the motor running, which will stall it.

It's no different in the ex or sv..
Understand the first part, the second part... if I left the clutch engaged (held in) and I was in 3 gear & braked, how would that stall the engine?

Sorry just trying to figure out the mechanics of things.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
if the clutch was pulled in then that wasnt ur problem if it was a fast let off the throttle then i could imagine u power shifted down by accidentally hitting the shifter downward which lock up the rear tire. i dont think the 2003 had a slipper clutch? the egine stalling not sure did u let the clutch out when u got to the side of the road without turning it off or putting it in neutral?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Understand the first part, the second part... if I left the clutch engaged (held in) and I was in 3 gear & braked, how would that stall the engine?

Sorry just trying to figure out the mechanics of things.
I see. By you saying the clutch is engaged I don't read it as you having the clutch lever pulled in.

It's also possible you accidentally tapped the cutoff switch when you went to grab your front brake..

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
if the clutch was engaged.... your hand was not on the lever and you locked up the rear with the brake and that killed the motor

if the clutch was disengaged, you had the lever pulled in and I don't know what caused the motor to die

Just for clarification

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if the clutch was engaged.... your hand was not on the lever and you locked up the rear with the brake and that killed the motor

if the clutch was disengaged, you had the lever pulled in and I don't know what caused the motor to die

Just for clarification
Well, I'm not going to say anything since it happened so fast and my mind was on trying to keep her up right and trying not to get myself killed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts