Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 08 R6 was poppin 210°F on my first real ride... I didn't get it above 20 MPH but I'm curious if that sounds like it's normal. I could hear the fan kick on as well.

Anyone have any advice, tips, comments? I'd really appreciate it. I'm a newbie :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
my 07 gets to 212F before the fan kicks on, and will get hotter than that in stop and go traffic.

·
The Patient
340 Posts
My fan kicks on at about 212 215 but that's when I'm at a stop or going slow in traffic. Once you get to speed though she'll start to cool down, you're good.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah...usually if you are in first or second gear just creeping along, your temps will be pretty high. As long as the fans turn on, you are good!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Perfectly normal. My 08 was running at 214 at the stop light. 2 minutes later going 70 on the freeway, it was at a cool 177.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
thats normal...my fan kicks on at 214 and thats in that stupid stop/go traffic and just creepin. If i'm actually out on a nice ride without lights or people i'll sit at a constant 165

·
I love hot dogs.
144 Posts
Ya my fan kicks on at 218 when in traffic but is always at 167 when goin fast

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, awesome. Thanks guys :) I was a tad worried at first. I figured as much because there was no real air flow through the engine when I'm going 20mph, LOL.

·
making ends meet daily...
99 Posts
Just a quick related question, at the end of your ride when you turn off your bike and its hot, should you leave the battery on to let the fan run until it shuts off or should you just turn the bike off completely and let mother nature cool it down?

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
When you shut the bike off the coolant doesn't flow. So needless to so it might help a bit, but not enough. Just shut her off, and let her cool. No need to push start because of a dead battery.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My fan kicks on at 214 and back off at 212, while riding in traffic I have never gone above 221. If I turn it off and let the fan run it never goes past 230. I would imagine if I shut it off and don't run the fan that it'll go hotter than 230. I don't feel like taking the chance so I run my fan until it starts going down. When I see the temp drop at all I know the temp is at least a bit more stable and not climbing hard, so I shut off the key. If you just rode it hard then the battery should have plenty to power the fan for a short bit. You can't push start a blown motor. JMO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts