Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
do you want them to operate as turn signals??

Mine are on all the time

I used the third wire from the stock turn signals for power (grounded to the same ground as the turn signals)

Just go to your local auto parts store, get two bulb outlets and two bulbs, drill a hole screw them in, hook them up, viola!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont want them to act as turnsignals, but instead just running lights. Do you think i should buy these bulbs?
http://www.greggscustoms.com/led.htm

Or do you think i should but a yellow LED bulb with different housing. What did you buy and how did you secure the bulb and its housing to the light housing? Silicon or some other form of glue.
You gotta help me out man!!...
Alos...what size hole did you drill?
Thanks
peace

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
a wise man once wrote:

jasamb said:
As far as putting those markers in...

It took like an hour tops (mine do not work as turn signals, I like them to be on all the time).

I did it the easy way!

Go to the auto parts store and buy two small light sockets and two bulbs total cost $7

Take off the front fairing/headlight (this will be the most difficut part)

Look on the back of the headlight assembly and see the spot that they will go.

Grind down the little plastic nipple that is in the way.

Once it is flat, drill out your hole (start with a small hole then make a bigger hole then a bigger one til you have the right size).

look at the socket you prchased and try to imagine what kind of hole it will fit into.

Make your new hole on the headlight look like the one you just imagined use a dremmel tool or a hot soldering iron--(if you use a sooldering iron remember, it is hot so be careful)

Put the light in the new hole.

Find the wires that your turn signals are connected to there are three (one is probably not connected to anything if you have aftermarket signals with monofiliment bulbs)

One is the ground, one is the flashy one and one is the one that stays on all the time

Connect the two wires on your new marker light to the ground and whichever one you want to (depending on whether you want it to flash or not flash)

**You may have to be creative wih how you splice th wires together to make the connection**

Put everything back together

Turn yor bike on, step back and see how cool it looks

Go for a ride

Pick up tons of chicks--because your bike is "really cool" now

Do wheelies.

**to get the stuff that falls into the headlight out, simply shake it to the front , remove the headlight bulb, flip the whole thing over, and shake the stuff out of the large hole. Dont stick your fingers in there.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
:poke

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
RatbikeR6 done this to his '03. i am going to do this later, i have everything but time. i guess i will do this when the weather and riding cant get along. i will post the link if i find it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone tried replacing the two reflectors with lights? The 04 R1 has two low and two high, like you would think our 03-04 R6 would have. I was thinking you could replace the reflectors on each side with lights, but not I think our lights are sealed so you would have to pry them open.

·
Can u c my turn signals?
128 Posts
I have just finished the "Sportguy" headlight mod this weekend. I did cheat a litttle by using a European headlight assembly to start with though. The mod worked out great and looks :boob
I would love to change the internal set up of the headlight. So if anyone knows how to dis-assemble the haedlight please let me know :cheers

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Weazel said:
I have just finished the "Sportguy" headlight mod this weekend. I did cheat a litttle by using a European headlight assembly to start with though. The mod worked out great and looks :boob
I would love to change the internal set up of the headlight. So if anyone knows how to dis-assemble the haedlight please let me know :cheers
When you say you used a Euro headlight assembly, did you had to get it from out the country? How did that mod work out for you?

Actually I still have my old damaged headlight casing. Half of it is broken off and the other still intact. I was actually studying the piece and it seems that the black plastic cover & lens of the assembly is glued/plastic melted to each other. I guess if you really want to open it up, you might have to dremel the lens off the plastic back cover (simialr to the VFX do-it-yourself DR. X kit)

·
Can u c my turn signals?
128 Posts
Hey Mike
The mod went real smooth, only had to do the wiring since I started with an European headlight assembly. I bought the headlight off of eBay from a guy in Japan.
I also have a spare headlight assembly (two actually) and thought about want you suggested, just not sure how it would work out though. When I can find the time I will have to experiment on my spare headlights to see what will work :idea:
If I learn anything I will have to let you know. :cheers

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
If you want, I can lend you my damaged one unless your spare ones are damaged to where you cannot waste to disassemble it.

I haven't torn down the undamaged side (low beam). But the other side, well it is already open and i did unscrew the actual headlight lens casing. I will take pictures if you want and post it tomorrow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mike, have you tried taking out the reflector on the high beam side and putting the high beam in its place. Since that side is alread open you could tell us if the swap is even possible. It would answer the, will holes matchup, is there enough room questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone know why my two pictures at the top of the page arn't working. They worked for like the first couple days...and now i cant see'em...
just a lil confused...
peace

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Dman said:
Mike, have you tried taking out the reflector on the high beam side and putting the high beam in its place. Since that side is alread open you could tell us if the swap is even possible. It would answer the, will holes matchup, is there enough room questions.
I might have to get back on you on this one.
I remember a few weeks back, someone was actually selling the headlight casing on Ebay and someone actually bought them!

I will take pictures soon so you guys can have your own opinion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The black stuff that they use to seal the headlight housing comes off pretty easy, if you have a heat gun that is. A hair dryer will work if you can steal it from you g/f, spouse or significant other. Be warned running the heat gun or hair dryer on high you may damage the housing and not to mention burn the $hit out of your hand when you come in contact with the housing. Been there, done that so. :) It comes apart pretty easy once you heat the stuff up, it turns into black, pliable goo pretty easy though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mike how about those pics. Still wondering if you can replace the reflector with the light. It looks like the light and reflector may be all one unit from the outside, which the lens being the only thing you can remove.

How about a good discription of the internals of the headlight.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Dman said:
Mike how about those pics. Still wondering if you can replace the reflector with the light. It looks like the light and reflector may be all one unit from the outside, which the lens being the only thing you can remove.

How about a good discription of the internals of the headlight.
Dman, sorry man, been busy doing other mods. But the internal headlight piece is one piece, reflector and main light all in one. Don't worry, I will post that damn picture tonight :cheers

So I doubt you'll be able to add or mod it for another lightbulb.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
could be that they found someone remotely linking to it (which not everyone lets people do b/c it eats up bandwidth you have to pay for) and aren't allowing it anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts