Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

2012 CCS race of champions expert/am combined middle weight superbike.
I'm on a pretty fast 2mm overbore motor with some port work, marchesini wheels, but used DOT Michelin CUP tires.
however, ya need a SUPER superbike motor to win this class. My buddy Mark Miller Jr. on a VERY fast r6 superbike beats out Jake Zemke on his DucShop Ducati by .002
:)

52,014 Posts
Sweet!!!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will say the "big boys" were coming.. but having the advantage of the grid by your standing from your region (there are 8 regions in CCS racing) is nice for this "winner take all national championship event. That and it is a "club" event in a way, so as friggin COOL as it is to have some real AMA pro racers on the grid here, we do love it when they don't always win one of THESE races.. Many of them enter one of the many races to get track time for the AMA pro races held here in March

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
and what is even COOLER than just doing pretty well at Daytona, is having a guy that knows a thing or 2 about an r6, Josh Hayes, come over and chat for ahwile.. and the guy is so friggin cool, he ASKS "mind if i offer a few tips to improve your bike?"..

my buddy Mike Whitten on the right, cooked up some awesome bbq on Friday night for a bunch of us.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
and what is even COOLER than just doing pretty well at Daytona, is having a guy that knows a thing or 2 about an r6, Josh Hayes, come over and chat for ahwile.. and the guy is so friggin cool, he ASKS "mind if i offer a few tips to improve your bike?"..

my buddy Mike Whitten on the right, cooked up some awesome bbq on Friday night for a bunch of us.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:eek5

Nice!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
soooo....

what did he say?

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Pretty sweet!

But I must ask, since I'll prob never have the pleasure to run Daytona... Isn't it a bit boring going around a Nascar track with very few turns on a SS bike? Seems like the opposite of what I'd like to do... Maybe it's just me.

Looks fun, don't get me wrong... I just think it'd be more fun on a 14+ turn track... Of course, I'm pretty new to the roadracing scene myself.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty sweet!

But I must ask, since I'll prob never have the pleasure to run Daytona... Isn't it a bit boring going around a Nascar track with very few turns on a SS bike? Seems like the opposite of what I'd like to do... Maybe it's just me.

Looks fun, don't get me wrong... I just think it'd be more fun on a 14+ turn track... Of course, I'm pretty new to the roadracing scene myself.
many say the same thing, till they get there and actually ride the track. you are not using normal gearing.. you need to be at LEAST +1 at the front sprocket. speeds of over 170 entering turn 1? yea.. friggin boring :) The "kink" ? little slide from both tires in 4th gear, but the sensation of speed as a bike is right next to you, the bike moving around a bit from the rear wheel spin on the banking, and i cant explain how much bar input you have to use to keep the bike from going into the wall exiting turn 4 onto the superspeedway.. the bike want's to go STRAIGHT. your head is buffeting about, you can feel the wind change on your back and ass when another bike is drafting up on you, freaky..

THen, add in the atmosphere at this facility. This IS the world center of speed. Winning races at Daytona is a big deal, even if it isn't the most "technical" track out there. But i assure you, ya don't just put a big HP motor in a bike and turn fast laps here. There are tricks and tips for getting around this track fast, thus even our supersport 600cc bikes were turning faster times than many 1000cc riders. The TOP 1000cc guys were in the 47's or better of course, and we were doing 1:54 with my best of 1:52.2 in the next race.. wish i left the camera on for that one, it was a good race between Mark and I.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
soooo....

what did he say?
ditch the stock rear foam seat, the fiberglass seat with a stick on foam pad gives more feedback. And he said he would spend lots of energy trying to not only stay forward when he wanted to be forward, but often spending energy to literally not fall off the inside of the bike..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts