Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Curves....Yummy...
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2008 ex Graves Motorsports R6. My plan is to build it to a top tier SS bike. I am not racing anymore, so it will only see light track time, but I want to display it in my home . Therefore I want every detail to look nice. It was fully functional when I got it however it needed some TLC. Once I got it home, I started it up, rode it down the street and back, to make sure everything felt ok, and then tore it down.

I do not have any pre teardown pictures, but I will be taking pictures along the way.

Frame, subframe, swingarm, sxle sliders, triples, etc. have all been sent off for powdercoating. I am having everything done in a slight gloss black. The bike does not use the ignition, so I cut out that section from the top triple. Should look a lot cleaner once done.

Motor - I have the motor call cleaned up, new hoses installed, new case covers, etc. I am debating on whether I should send it up to EDR to be inspected and refreshed. They do amazing work. The only reason I may hold off is I will have to send up the motor alone, have it done, sent back down, put the bike back together, and then send it all back up for dyno work. That is a lot of time. Not sure what I am doing there yet.

I have gone a little crazy on the parts. Bike already had nearly all the go fast parts you would want. However I either replaced or got brand new stuff for some of it. I got a brand new Graves exhaust, Braking SK2 rotors, levers, clip-ons, chain, sprockets, etc. etc. I also went a little overboard on the Titanium and Aluminum hardware from Pro Bolt. Still waiting on much of that stuff to arrive.

Here are a few shots of the motor, first 2 are pre clean up. will update this thread as my build progresses. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is an amazing build/rebuild! Lots of love for the bike and sport to want to spend that much $$ and time to do it right. Also having the resources to do so helps. I can't wait to see it all done.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
nice!!!

·
Curves....Yummy...
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the nice comments. I will do my best to make an interesting build.

Nothing better than a virgin full Ti & carbon exhaust. Graves makes amazing product, and I cant wait until this thing turns that beautiful shades of blue. Leo Vince probably makes a slightly better quality exhaust, but IMO there is no better looking exhaust for the R6 than a Graves full Ti/CF combo.

love the details of a properly built bike. I got F&R black billet captive wheel spacers. Titanium rotor bolts to match.

Attachments

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts

·
The Reverend
1,355 Posts
Subbed....love me some graves!!!

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Love how clean the engine is. I need to do that to mine.

Thanks for the nice comments. I will do my best to make an interesting build.

Nothing better than a virgin full Ti & carbon exhaust. Graves makes amazing product, and I cant wait until this thing turns that beautiful shades of blue. Leo Vince probably makes a slightly better quality exhaust, but IMO there is no better looking exhaust for the R6 than a Graves full Ti/CF combo.

love the details of a properly built bike. I got F&R black billet captive wheel spacers. Titanium rotor bolts to match.
Where did you get the spacers from?

·
Curves....Yummy...
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spacers are from Fast Frank Racing. They look great, but more importantly they don't fall out when the wheels are out and changing tires.

Still waiting on my hardware from Pro Bolt. They are taking their sweet time shipping everything. Also waiting on the powder coater. Should have both within a week, and then the rebuild can really begin.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
Subbed for updates. that is so clean!!

·
Curves....Yummy...
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have disassembled the forks completely. They have the Ohlins 25mm cartridge kits already. However they were a little ratty on the outside. The stanchions and forks legs have a lot of small pitting.

I am planning on sending out the lowers to get TiN coating. I am going to have the uppers re-anodized.

The stanchions will be powder coated. Before I dropped them off, I took some time to file and sand off the casting lines. Not sure how much of a difference it will make visually, but I am hoping it helps to clean them up a little. Below you can see the difference.

Attachments

·
Curves....Yummy...
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got everything except the fork stanchions back from the powder coater today. I am very happy with how it cam out. I used Miller Powdercoating out of Rohnert Park. The paint is pretty thick, which I wasn't expecting, but they were real good about taping off all the crucial surfaces such as threads and seating surfaces. They also removed the factory paint first, so weight gain should be minimal.

The black is a bit more glossy than stock. I am starting to put everything back together. All new bearings seals. Pretty much every piece of hardware has been polished or replaced. OCD.

Attachments

·
Bridgestone my new friend
435 Posts
make sure you run a tap through anything with threads. Powdercoat is way stronger than any loc-tite

·
Curves....Yummy...
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forks: I got some black outer tubes to replace the gold. I have the fork lowers sent out to be TiN coated (Gold) and the stanchions will be back from the powder coaters next week.

I also anodized the lower compression adjusters. I changed the color around to be a little different. The red is not quite as bright as I wanted, but I think they will look great once bolted up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 238 Posts