Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just installed a brand spankin new Yoshi pipe on my 2001 R6 and I was cruisin with my biker buddy Jesse(rides a 250) at night and he jokingly went to my right side and switched on the engine kill switch, after yelling some profanity to him, jokingly of course, I went to switch it back on and I hear a small POP, rarely heard, and he goes, WOAH man, you had flames comin out of your pipe!!! Try that again, so I did, this time around, lookin at my pipe and sure enough, when I put the kill switch back on the ON position it shot out a flame! It looked pretty cool at night. I was wondering if you guys knew what caused this, and if its bad to do and hurts the bike? I really want to be able to shoot out a flame on command but am afraid it will do some damage to my bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Its because the engine loads up w/ fuel when you switch it off with no way to ignite it and when you quickly switch it back on, it ignites the extra fuel.. Can it hurt? Id think so over time, as the extra bang will cause stress on the internals, but maybe im wrong?

·
Registered
376 Posts
The only thing i can think of is maybe it's just a really bad backfire.........and the turning it on and off hting....it's just like some old cars.....you like on the movie UNCLE BUCK when he has that really old car and every time he turns it off it has a major backfire......well bikes(exspcially ones not mapped corectly) have a tendancy to backfire.

·
Registered
372 Posts
search topics on here- from what i remember: backfire (popping) is common on the carbed bikes (pre 03). there is even a cool movie that some guys made in the uk that showed them backfiring in the streets and pointing like they were shooting guns.... it's laughs.... back on topic... the later models (post 03) with an aftermarket exhaust can backfire(pop) when revs drop then rise quickly again. i have a 04 BF dual port and i get a small pop when i drop from 9k-6k then gun it quickly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's hard on valves, and pistons. But the few times I did it, I just told myself "if it revs to 15,500rpm, then a back fire won't hurt" to make myself feel better. Don't do it regularly but it's your bike..eh..

Stock exhausts are A LOT louder then aftermarket, but aftermerket shoots a bigger flame :hammer .

Fun as hell cruising late by clubs, seeing boobies out in front and backfiring the bike, Funnie shit :cheers
And only carbed bikes do it. Just so you dont look like an ass trying it on your friends :mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.