Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. this problem has been happening more often now a days. I dont know what it is. When am riding and i come to a stop sometimes. white smoke stars to come from under the bike. somewhere from the header and it smells like burnt oil. now i have notice that it happens more when the EXUP valve gets stock (code 18) and i think that it might be exhaust gasses are trapped and are trying to come out tru some other place. but i dont know. any input will be very appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
White smoke is usually steam. Might have a coolant leak somewhere that is dripping on the pipes, and you would only notice it when you come to a stop, unless it was very severe and you could see it behind you when riding. How are your operating temps? Check your fluid.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
temps are good 190ish if not less when riding and when stopped it can reach 218 i will check the coolant tomorrow but that makes sense. any other input

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
How much white smoke are you talking about? If the white smoke is constant and coming directly out the exhaust, you possibly have water mixed in with your oil. You need to check the dipstick and see if the oil looks like chacolate mike. If so you there can be a few reasons why that can occur. It can anything from a broken head gasket seal, to a warped head. If your bike is running hotter than usual you need to definately have that checked out. But it sounds like the smoke is coming form underneath your bike. There is a drain line coming out your radiator plastic over flow tank that runs along side your bike. You might just have a bit of overflow running out of the tank.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^

you guys are right there is a drain line and it is coolant dripping on the pipes. my coolant level its just a little bit above the low line and i also notice that this happens more when i brake hard or stippie. i will refill the tank and see whats up. thanks.

·
SHIFT!!
100 Posts
check the seal behind the drive sprocket, sometimes those leak oil which drips on the exhaust pipe and quickly burns off. Clean the area of all grease/grime so you can see the metal. You will not be able to see the leak from the seal if there is any dirt because when the oil heats up it leaks as a thin film not a drop. It is even hard to detect on bare metal, I usually check with a paper towel to see if it will turn clear.

If you are correct and the smoke is exhaust gases leaking out then the problem should occur right when you start the bike. If it is something dripping onto your headers/exhaust pipe then the problem/smoking will occur only after the bike has been started long enough for the exhaust to reach a high temperature, high enough to burn of oil or coolant.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^^

after all this feed back i am sure its not an exhaust leak. I am now considering what you said about the drive sprocket but i dont think thats the problem given that my coolant tank is almost empty but i will check that anyway. better safe than sorry no?

thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts