Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kasanova
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gotten and offical reading on the db level for their exhaust? limit is 106 and its measured at 6k RPM. I'm running MJS and a Termi. She's pretty loud just crusing, so I don't want to go to the track just to have to go back home. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am running Gen1 MJS headers with MTC short can. Bought a decent DB meter. She pushes 112db without db killer and 108db with the DB killer fitted.

I need to sort my system out before the start of the season otherwise im not going to be let near a track :(

·
Kasanova
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where did you get your Db killer??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got it from MTC mate as its the specific one for the can.

The problem is its quite a big bore can and really short! I have decided to go for a custom link pipe and a 5SL can. Doesn't look as good IMO but need to get the noise down for the track!

You might be alright with your Termi though. Have a look on eBay there are some pretty good DB meters which will give you an idea.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
There is a protocol for the way it's measured though. It should be measured at a 45 deg. angle from the exhaust exit at 4' away or something like that. It isn't simply stuff the DB meter near the exhaust and let it rip. Try measuring it at different angles and distances and you will be surprized at the different reading you get. Remember too that for every doubling of distance you loose 6 Db. of volume. So if you measured at 2' then it will be 6 Db. quieter at 4'. Which would put you at the 106 Db. mark. Also keep in mind the weighting that is used to measure. A and C are the most common. C will produce a lower level than A weighting. A weighting is used to see what volumes are actually being presented and C weighting adjusts to account for how the human ear perceives sound. Since the human ear is less than perfect, the volume is lower. Something to keep in mind. You should find out what the track protocol is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a protocol for the way it's measured though. It should be measured at a 45 deg. angle from the exhaust exit at 4' away or something like that. It isn't simply stuff the DB meter near the exhaust and let it rip. Try measuring it at different angles and distances and you will be surprized at the different reading you get. Remember too that for every doubling of distance you loose 6 Db. of volume. So if you measured at 2' then it will be 6 Db. quieter at 4'. Which would put you at the 106 Db. mark. Also keep in mind the weighting that is used to measure. A and C are the most common. C will produce a lower level than A weighting. A weighting is used to see what volumes are actually being presented and C weighting adjusts to account for how the human ear perceives sound. Since the human ear is less than perfect, the volume is lower. Something to keep in mind. You should find out what the track protocol is.
You are correct on this. The official ACU regulations are as follows;

Not sure if you were referring to the way I got my readings however I can confirm I followed the exact ACU regulations and got the following results;

Without DB killer – 112DB
With DB killer – 108DB

I have just had a custom link pipe made and I am going to run a 5SL Akrapovic can on my 07 R6 in order to get the noise down a bit.

As for the A and C weighting I was not aware of this so thanks for the info!

·
Registered
434 Posts
i did a decibel test using c- weight but only at idle not 7000rpm, average was just under 100db. looks like i got a new test to conduct. i'll post the video and results here when weather will allow.

·
Kasanova
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
I had no idea they had noise regulations at tracks. Out of all the places, I thought tracks wouldn't care how loud your exhaust is:screwy

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts
I had no idea they had noise regulations at tracks. Out of all the places, I thought tracks wouldn't care how loud your exhaust is:screwy
A very common misconception, especially on the west coast, as there are usually a great many people who live near the race tracks out here. It may be cool to hear bikes and cars once in a while, but every fcukin day gets old. The specified noise levels help keep the noise from travelling to the neighborring communities...

For example, my grandmother lives literally 21 miles from Infineon in Sonoma... During the Fram Autolite Nationals Drag Race, you can hear the top fuelers, no question about it. Ive heard it a few times.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
A very common misconception, especially on the west coast, as there are usually a great many people who live near the race tracks out here. It may be cool to hear bikes and cars once in a while, but every fcukin day gets old. The specified noise levels help keep the noise from travelling to the neighborring communities...

For example, my grandmother lives literally 21 miles from Infineon in Sonoma... During the Fram Autolite Nationals Drag Race, you can hear the top fuelers, no question about it. Ive heard it a few times.
wow thats crazy. I know I wouldn't mind living somwhat near a track and hearing all those bikes

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts
wow thats crazy. I know I wouldn't mind living somwhat near a track and hearing all those bikes
Imagine it every single day though.... It would get old, trust me. I live in the flight path 5 miles from the airport in Sacramento and even that shit gets old, especially in the summer when you have the windows open at night... FCUK THE REDEYE FLIGHTS!!!!!!!!!

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
My bet is that the test results will require that you use A weighting. This is the standard weighting used for most all test purposes. C weighting is nice when you have someone who isn't paying attention and you want to get more volume than is actually allowed. If the monitoring guy isn't paying attention to the fact you have C weighting being used you can usually get about and extra 2-3 Db's. Which doesn't seem like much but can be important if your in a small venue and the musicians are loud. In your case it may mean the difference between being DQ'ed or not.

·
Registered
434 Posts

drag racing tracks seem to have no db restriction. the one I go to is ear hurting loud, glad I live 30 miles away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts