Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on here but only came up with fairing wraps, carbon fiber wrap etc. I know there are many different sizes, colors and materials for wrapping your exhaust. Has anyone ever wrap their headers or even attempted it???

·
Registered
360 Posts
i ordered a roll of the fiber wrap from jegs and wrapped the whole header, i noticed a few degree drop in cruising temp because more of the heat stayed in the exhaust

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well there was only two reasons I was gonna wrap it, actually I guess there are only two reasons to do it. 1) It looks pretty good and 2) keeps the exhaust hotter a little longer with helps it move faster thus increasing your flow. I really don't want to chance anything going wrong with it or having it rust on me even though it is pretty dry here in Cali. I'm probably gonna end up just cleaning it up a little with some high grit sand paper and hit it with some 2000 degree paint.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
There is some debate as to whether the wrap is good or bad. As mentioned certain metals don't do well with it. Also in my experience some engines like the stuff and other don't. The whole hot air moves faster and therefore will exit faster out of an exhaust is sound in principal. While it works on some engines it doesn't work on all. I think that bikes is one of those things that don't really benefit from it. The Moto Gp bikes don't do it, the WSBK's don't do it and the AMA's don't do it. That is a good sign that it isn't worth the effort. I would see it more as a way of keeping the hot exhaust from burning your leg or the fairings but not for performance gains. I would save the money and put it towards something else.

As I understand it you in essence gain one H.P for ever 7 pound you loose. If you get a light weight battery and eliminate some stuff from the bike you don't need you could add a couple H.P. If you go to the gym and loose another 14 LBS. you could gain another 2. So you could get as much as 4 H.P just by lightening things up a bit. To me that is money better spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.