Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Track Whore
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my second track day.

Experience my first crash at the track.

Just a small bruise on my left palm near my thumb.

I was doing really good on my 2nd session within the 4 lap, but I came in a bit too hot on 4-5 turn and rear wheel skid a bit on the crack and tar.

They say someone crash on the 1st session in Group B with an oil spill on the track. I think they said it spilled on the 4-5 turn. Slightly off the race line. I felt my rear wheel wobble once or twice during my lean. Some of the people I've met say that also. Big Willow just got a new pavement on the track , but not all the areas are covered. You can clearly see 4-5 turn have cracks and tar.

Everyone says Big Willow isn't that excited and I do agree on them. There isn't many turns, just long curves. I'm not much of a speed person, but I would like to work a lot on my leaning and body positioning. It'll be the last time I'll be doing at Big Willow track. It's good for 1000cc bikes, but not 600cc. No wonder it's "The Fastest Track in the West."

Here's the video from today's track day.

Here's my precious. Don't mind the chucks of rock inside and outside the lower fairing.

1. Crack the rear subframe with a small bent (By the tail light). Not noticeable, but I'll probably fix that by the end of the year.
2. Windscreen is crack, so I need to order a new one.
3. Race bodywork needs minor repair.
4. Possibly a bent frame slider plastic/bar.
5. Scrap brake lever, exhaust, rear pegs, and coolant cover.
6. Lost some clips and screws.
7. No damage on the fuel tank nor crack or bent frame. Thank god!!

I'm officially making my motorcycle into a full race bike next year.

Feel free to comment or advice.

·
=]
2,523 Posts
Damn, glad you're okay! Bike isn't too bad, rollovers normally end a lot worse :fact.

Looks like were off the line a bit, better turn in point and I think you would've been okay.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Bummer dude! I thought that may have been you. I saw your bike across the pits and wanted to get over there and say hi eventually, then I came in from a session and saw the bike all packed up.

The oil spill was in turn 1. You could see the big white line of whatever they use to soak it up running from the apex to the outside of the track.

Also, don't be so quick to hate on Big Willow on a 600. When you get to know your way around and get going flat out from the exit of 5 all the way to 8 (or if you're real good, all the way to 9) it gets to be A LOT of fun. Hurling the bike over the crest at the blind apex on 6 and having it shake it's head and wiggle around coming down the hill is some fantastic adrenalin-pumping fun.

Get her fixed up and get back out on the tarmac ASAP!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Damn, glad you're okay! Bike isn't too bad, rollovers normally end a lot worse :fact.

Looks like were off the line a bit, better turn in point and I think you would've been okay.
This is sort of correct.

Just watched the video. The problem was you stayed inside all around 4. T4 is really two turns 4a, and 4b, and you need to drive to the outside in between them, and then cut it back in for the 2nd apex to get you pointed down the hill.

If you stay inside the whole way, you end up pointed towards the outside of the track and you're going to have to slow waaaaaaaaaaay down to get turned down the hill.

·
DOC_G on R1-*****
1,112 Posts
Bummer dude! I thought that may have been you. I saw your bike across the pits and wanted to get over there and say hi eventually, then I came in from a session and saw the bike all packed up.

The oil spill was in turn 1. You could see the big white line of whatever they use to soak it up running from the apex to the outside of the track.

Also, don't be so quick to hate on Big Willow on a 600. When you get to know your way around and get going flat out from the exit of 5 all the way to 8 (or if you're real good, all the way to 9) it gets to be A LOT of fun. Hurling the bike over the crest at the blind apex on 6 and having it shake it's head and wiggle around coming down the hill is some fantastic adrenalin-pumping fun.

:stupic

I love the big track because it is fast.

·
Track Whore
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks! Yeah, the damage on the bike is minimum. Just few scrapes here and there. Estimate cost is probably worth $300-400

Bike doesn't look to bad.. Honestly it seems like you were heading out.. Maybe target fixation? It seems like a weird fall
I doubt it's a target fixation. Like derffred said, I was off the line a bit and didn't turn quickly onto the second apex. Had no choice to went straight. :(

This is sort of correct.

Just watched the video. The problem was you stayed inside all around 4. T4 is really two turns 4a, and 4b, and you need to drive to the outside in between them, and then cut it back in for the 2nd apex to get you pointed down the hill.

If you stay inside the whole way, you end up pointed towards the outside of the track and you're going to have to slow waaaaaaaaaaay down to get turned down the hill.
I was searching for you because I arrived there at 5:30-5:40am, but I didn't know where you were.

Appreciate your advice Scott. I'm willingly to give Big Willow another chance. Seems like that T4/T5 is the part I struggle a bit with my line. I won't be do another track event till Winter or Spring, but I want to experience Chuckwalla soon. I'll hit you with a PM if I'm planning a track event. :)

·
click, click, vroom!
872 Posts
jmejiaa said:
Bike doesn't look to bad.. Honestly it seems like you were heading out.. Maybe target fixation? It seems like a weird fall
+1

this looks like target fixation, where you thought you were going to run wide and looked at where you figured you'd run off ... and then went there. i'm glad you're okay, and the bike came out way better than i'd have guessed after watching the vid. :YEA

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I was searching for you because I arrived there at 5:30-5:40am, but I didn't know where you were.
Yeah, the vendor area was all blocked off. There was one truck posted up in there, but I have no idea how they got in. I was setup way down towards the Turn 9 end of the pits. I'll catch ya at the next one though!

·
I named my dog Rossi.
294 Posts
+1

this looks like target fixation
The reason everyone is saying target fixation is you had the bike leaned over and then coming out of the turn you picked it up, but realized you were off-line and started to target fixate. When you realized "oh shit" you tried to lean the bike over again, but ran out of room and hit the dirt. No problem, get at it next time. Sweet Dainese btw, I wish I could afford that one.

edit - .. and you can see you panicked and grabbed your brake right at the end.

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
1) use this as a learning experience. It happens to us all at some point.

2) get some spares while you're rebuilding the bike. It'll probably happen again.

3) keep practicing! next time concentrate on mastering that particular section of the track. Pick reference points to help you with braking and turn-in.

·
Track Whore
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1

this looks like target fixation, where you thought you were going to run wide and looked at where you figured you'd run off ... and then went there. i'm glad you're okay, and the bike came out way better than i'd have guessed after watching the vid. :YEA

The reason everyone is saying target fixation is you had the bike leaned over and then coming out of the turn you picked it up, but realized you were off-line and started to target fixate. When you realized "oh shit" you tried to lean the bike over again, but ran out of room and hit the dirt. No problem, get at it next time. Sweet Dainese btw, I wish I could afford that one.

edit - .. and you can see you panicked and grabbed your brake right at the end.
Both of you are right about target fixation. I had the "oh shit" moment when I was didn't lean quick enough and ran out of room. Thanks you for your concern. :)

1) use this as a learning experience. It happens to us all at some point.

2) get some spares while you're rebuilding the bike. It'll probably happen again.

3) keep practicing! next time concentrate on mastering that particular section of the track. Pick reference points to help you with braking and turn-in.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind.

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
Glad your alright, it is easier to fix the bike than it is you. (Big high-side about 2 months ago and I'm just getting back to riding and the damage to me is pretty permanent.) Best advice I can think of is get the bike fixed as fast as you can and start riding asap. I didn't/couldn't and got a little freaked on a couple of turn at my last day about a week ago. If I would have been able to ride sooner I probably would have been ok my last last time out.

·
Hard Parked
2,154 Posts
Maybe it was just be but your throttle seemed a bit choppy and not so smooth. If you would have leaned more and counter steered you may have pulled it off.

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Watching it again, looks like your front brake also played a part. If you ever run off track, only use the rear brake. I'm sure you know that, but reflexes tend to kick in when we want to slow down in a hurry and fail to think the action out.

·
My R6 eat tires for lunch
855 Posts
sucks to go down. But on another note. it seems like you could of saved that. maybe its different when you're on the bike but who knows. good learning video anyways

·
Track Whore
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad your alright, it is easier to fix the bike than it is you. (Big high-side about 2 months ago and I'm just getting back to riding and the damage to me is pretty permanent.) Best advice I can think of is get the bike fixed as fast as you can and start riding asap. I didn't/couldn't and got a little freaked on a couple of turn at my last day about a week ago. If I would have been able to ride sooner I probably would have been ok my last last time out.
Thanks aaronk277. The bike damage is minimum, so I estimate roughly $400. The bike needs to be clean up a bit.

Maybe it was just be but your throttle seemed a bit choppy and not so smooth. If you would have leaned more and counter steered you may have pulled it off.
The turn before the crash is T4 which has an elevation and divide into two section. 4a and 4b. 4b have a sharper apex turn, but I didn't manage to lean more and counter steer like you said. It's hard for myself to maintain throttle control during the elevation, but I would like thank you for your advice. :)

Watching it again, looks like your front brake also played a part. If you ever run off track, only use the rear brake. I'm sure you know that, but reflexes tend to kick in when we want to slow down in a hurry and fail to think the action out.
Yeah, I guess my mind went to "panic mode" and cause myself to hold the front brake towards the dirt and rocks. That's the lesson I've learn from my video. Thanks for pointing that out Saltman. :)

sucks to go down. But on another note. it seems like you could of saved that. maybe its different when you're on the bike but who knows. good learning video anyways
Yeah, it was my error for not to lean further and continue through the turn. Target fixate was the problem and cause my mind to panic when I went off the track. I appreciate everybody feedback. It was a good lesson and I hope I can do better next time.

Hope all is well man, very cool vid though!
Thanks bro. My condition is good right now, I just need to fix my bike asap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As long as you're ok at the end of the day, it's all that mattered. Enjoyed the vid until the crash. I could kind of see it coming by the line. I just got done commenting on it to my friend and then off you went.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts