Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt know where to post this so I put it in General, if it belongs somewhere else go ahead and move it mods.

Ok, now will modifying my bike (ie. aftermarket exhaust) void my warranty and/or my extended warranty? And how about things like the tailight integration kits or flushmounts. I have the extended warranty but If I can do anything to my bike I may see if I can get rid of it. What is your oppinion on the extended warranty?

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've read the rules and the rules state,

anything done to the bike not by a certified yamaha tech. will null and void your warrenty.

extended warrenty and crap blah dont buy that stuff, its just another way for the dealerships to make more money off you. and the warrenty is basically through the dealership you purchased it at, unless there was authorization that you could take it and yahama shop

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, yeah I have been thinking about calling up and seeing if I can dump the extended warranty because of the limits it puts on making modifications, for now I will keep the stock parts for my 1 year warranty and put it back to stock if anything major happens and it needs to go back to the dealer.

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
267 Posts
BE4TNUT,
do you really think Yamaha would void your warranty if you have an aftermarket can or turnsignal integrator kit??? the warranty is only for mechanical failures of the bike. how would the exhaust cause a mechanical failure of like the triple tree or fork??? would a turn signal integrator kit cause an engine mount to fracture?? naw, man. the warranty is basically to cover you if the manufacturing of some important functional part of the bike, that you haven't replaced, unexpectedly fails. now if you drill holes in your swingarm to mount LEDs and then the swingarm cracks in half as you go over a pot hole then you're screwed b/c you adjusted the structural integrity of the swingarm. same with the engine. bore out the heads and void the warranty. add a dry NOS kit and void the warranty. put a sticker on your bike and you're okay, buddy. paint the windscreen black and you're still good. i have 3 years of YES that just started in May and i've done some decent mods to my bike. i'm currently thinking of doing the 520 chain conversion and that one may void the warranty but i'm not sure. remember, warranties are written by lawyers to be interpretted by lawyers. customize your bike and have faith in the Japanese engineering that made these awesome machines the beauties that they are.
:flame
now that i think of it, this discussion of warranties reminds me of the scene in Tommy Boy where Chris Farley explains guarranties to the old man :cheers

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See I am getting all sorts of mixed reviews here, I am going to go to the dealer that I bought my bike at and have them lay out the do's and don't on the warranty I guess, I know they will try and pursuade me to get the work done there but we will see. I know the warranty protects the bike but they also do whatever they can so you void it without realizing it so that they can sell you a service that you cannot use.

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
267 Posts
blueloulou said:
add a PCIII void your warrenty.

even changing your own oil could void your warrenty.
yeah, i agree with blue on this one. "Your my boy, BLUE!!!!" :jacked

My bike's in the shop right now waiting for four new ignition coils and its 8k service checkup b/c i need the shop to sign my YES card that they did the service.

fook da man and his warranties :cuss

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
blueloulou said:
:stupic

Im a 23 year old female thankyou very much....

:cheers
Holy shit I'm a 23 year old male.................
Well hey then you wanna go out sometime???? :hammer

·
Registered
963 Posts
I know Yamaha's warranty program has gotten stricter lately, and they're more reluctant to replace shit without asking a lot of questions first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts