Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am really ignorant to the how the bike functions mechanically but I have an 04 r6 and I was thinking about getting a gytr shorty exhaust. Problem is I do not want to lose any low end due to less backpressure. I was reading a thread on the exup and I really did not want to jump in and mess their dicussion up with this question. I have heard from a yamaha shop that my bike has exup. Exup is the motor right but it also has something to do with the exhaust backpressure I thought? They told me I had exup when I asked them the negative and positive features about adding the gytr shporty and the guy said that it would not run right if I took off the stock muffler which I did a while back when i put on a hindle slip on. I quess the question is by putting on anything other than a stock exhaust would it mess up the performance of the bike. Is the exup in the motor or in the header pipes? Once again sorry for the question but I would like to know what I am going to mess up by putting the gytr shorty on. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure yamaha started putting the EXUP system on the R6 in 2006, meaning your 2004 doesnt have it. Or maybe im thinking of the YCC-i. hmmmm. Someone will correct me if its wrong.

The myth of backpressure is just that, a MYTH. Backpressure is your enemy for the most part. Sure you do need some backpressure, but just having a header on there will provide enough backpressure. The only way I could see a problem if there wasn't a header on there at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really did not know if my bike had exup or not. That is why I asked the yamaha shop about the shorty pipe and that is when he said it would mess the exup up. Needless to say I am not going to take my bike there if they have no clue what year exup was out on the bikes. So, will I still lose low end power. It would seem like I would need to get a power commander or have the bike re-jetted or something because the air to gas ratio would be different?

·
DILLIGAF
199 Posts
by just puttin a slip on on the bike u will not notice a difference in low end power and NO u do not have exup and that dude that works at yamaha is a moron bc a slip on barely barely changes the air fuel ratio, headers and a filter is what will make it run not right without a tune or a mapped PCIII

·
Two Bro's=ORGASM *nohomo*
3,279 Posts
This is a pic from my idle bikes exhaust, is it wrong?
Yep, supposed to be almost closed at idle (and when the bike is off, see my pic). It has a spring in it so if you remove the cables it stays full open. You'll lose low end torque and HP with it open like that. I have a dyno chart somewhere of totally stock bike, and totally stock bike with the exup cables removed. The power loss before 7,000rpm was insane!!!

I do not want to lose any low end
Install a +4 rotor, SUPER easy, instant boost to your low end HP and torque, problem solved!

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodYR6s,06-09.html (this link is the right one for your bike, 03-05 R6, trust me ;))

-Jamie M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.