Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when the bike is off what should the position of that valve be? fully open fully closed or some midpoint? just started bogging down on me and I'm guessing its that cuz I haven't touched anything else..thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:popcorn:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:stupic

·
Registered
313 Posts
The off position should be midway if I remember right. I actually disconnected the cables to mine just the other day. The "resting" position when the cables are detached is full open. The bike sounds a little (very little) deeper at low RPM's other than that I have noticed no difference in the bike. I intend on leaving mine that way.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet thanks man

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
I have a midpipe, and I drilled my valve out of the exhaust, I figured it wasn't going to hurt having a bit less resistance.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I got my t tuner off of ebay for $135.
Its not that much more to have MJS redo your header for you and powdercoat it. That way its welded and coated and you don't have to do any of the work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just a side note for yall. You can remove the cables from the slip on, and also remove them from the motor itsself. You cannot remove the motor or it will set a CEL. Just leave the motor in place plugged in and it will be fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
where is the motor. Someone said something about disconnecting at the servo. i have mine tucked in under the bike right now and would like to remove permanantly. Thanks

·
LuvNemR6's
12 Posts
where is the motor. Someone said something about disconnecting at the servo. i have mine tucked in under the bike right now and would like to remove permanantly. Thanks
The motor is directly in front of the rear shock. Its wrapped with a rubber pad. If you remove the servo motor your gonna have a check engine light with flashing code.

·
Registered
92 Posts
thanks! Always wondered what that rubber boot was in front of the shock

·
Im too big for an R6 :-(
22 Posts
question about my 06 exup.

if anyones familiar with the newer r1's...everytime you turn the key on it cycles the exup to find the max open and max closed positions. it does not do this on my R6. is this correct?

im just wondering how the computer knows what the position of it is....after cables have stretched and been adjusted etc. i just want to make sure its getting fully opened when its supposed to be. i know on my r1 when the cables would be out of adjustment you could really tell a difference in power once adjusted properly.

thanks!

·
I <3 my R6
49 Posts
question about my 06 exup.

if anyones familiar with the newer r1's...everytime you turn the key on it cycles the exup to find the max open and max closed positions. it does not do this on my R6. is this correct?

im just wondering how the computer knows what the position of it is....after cables have stretched and been adjusted etc. i just want to make sure its getting fully opened when its supposed to be. i know on my r1 when the cables would be out of adjustment you could really tell a difference in power once adjusted properly.

thanks!
I don't believe the R6 does this - but you do need to "service" the EXUP on occasion. When you put the bike into "test-mode" or what ever its called (hold select & reset while turning the key on) - there is a function to test the EXUP valve. The service manual tells you what the spec's should be. I had to adjust mine right when I bought it and after about 2500 miles.

Heres my whole take on the EXUP thing from my experience with it.

I never tried removing it when the bike had stock exhaust. After 1500 miles on the bike, I bought an 05 year header and ran that into my stock can. At first I kept the EXUP hooked up. I installed a PCIII at the same time and have been using a slightly modified Graves Full SS map. The bike ran great.

At about 4000 miles - I decided to disconnect the EXUP valve but leave it in, just in the full open position. I didn't notice any difference in the power, but it was a hell of a lot louder like this. I rode for 1000 miles like this.

Then, after my last oil change, I decided to hook EXUP back up and used the service manual to set it correctly. I took it for a ride and noticed a pretty big difference. My low end pull was much strong from about 4000 - 8000. It really picks up considerably quicker.

The sound is also much tamer - and I prefer it for my setup - the highway drone was pretty bad with it unhooked.

A lot of people say that the whole thing is completely useless - but I don't agree. I think it's effect is a lot less with the stock header since it is placed after the cats/main muffler. But with the mod I've done - It seems logical to me that it would create some back pressure and this is known to help the low end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts