Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was pulling into my driveway last night my CEL came on and gave me the fault code 18. So I adjusted the cables seeing they were a little loose and ran the diagnostic. At first, the valve was stuck closed, but after the diagnostic it opened and now it's stuck open. I can hear the motor whirring like it's trying to open/close the valve, but it doesn't move.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should try before I cave and take it to the dealer? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW its an 07 R6 w/ a little over 5K, I'm the 2nd owner so I'm not sure if the warranty transfers.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
try lubing the cables as they will stick. Also make sure that your battery is charged as when my battery gets run down the exup starts having problems.

If you don't want to pay the dealer you can always put a slipon exhaust on it and just get rid of the exup.

·
Registered
458 Posts
or just disconnect the cables and take em off or let them hang

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same thing just happened to me. I removed the black cover over the can and the cables were tight, but the valve itself was stuck. Wiggled it by hand and turned the key on and it did it's little self check. Code went away. It sounds dry, so I'm going to lube it for now. I'm going to get the Jardine pipe to get rid of the whole thing until I save enough for a full Akrapovic system.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try lubing the cables as they will stick. Also make sure that your battery is charged as when my battery gets run down the exup starts having problems.

If you don't want to pay the dealer you can always put a slipon exhaust on it and just get rid of the exup.
I checked the battery and it's fine. Sorry for the newb question, but how exactly would you go about lubing those cables? Would I lube the valve as well? The only exposed part is prety much what's around the pulley and the rest is covered. (This is my first bike so I've got a lot of learning to do)

I thought about getting a slip-on, but I can't decide on which one. And, call me crazy, but I kinda like the stock can for some reason:dunce:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same thing just happened to me. I removed the black cover over the can and the cables were tight, but the valve itself was stuck. Wiggled it by hand and turned the key on and it did it's little self check. Code went away. It sounds dry, so I'm going to lube it for now. I'm going to get the Jardine pipe to get rid of the whole thing until I save enough for a full Akrapovic system.
you just wiggled it by hand? I wish mine was that easy. I've tried wiggling all of it and nothing seems to want to break loose. It's weird how mine just froze up like that. It did open when I ran the diagnostic, but now it's stuck again. I hear the motor whirring so I hope that isn't the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts