Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else have problems with their contacts folding in half or coming out of eyes when doing track speeds? Last weekend I was riding in a group of 13 and I was in the middle. We were flying down a straight away on an old country road and my contact folds in half and I lose about 50% of my vision (not too mention it hurts). I had to ride with one good eye for about 30 miles home.

I'm thinking it is happening to me due to my Scorpion helmet not having one of the chin skirt things to block some wind. I've had this helmet about a year and this has happened probably 4-5 times now.

A few of my riding buddies do track a lot during the summer and are asking me to go next month. I'm reluctant to go because I'd be facked if I were out on the track and a contact folded up on me, reducing my vision and peripherals substantially. I don't want to endanger myself or other track riders if this happens.

For those that wear contacts and do track days (or the Ricky Bobby guys who just like to go fast), which helmets do you use? I'm going to get a new lid and would like to know your personal experiences before I drop hundreds on a helmet that doesn't solve the problem :popcorn:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I ride with 50% of my vision all the time and that's no lie. My other eye is literally blind cause some dumb kid shot a bbq stick to my eye. but through the years I learned to work with it.

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
i have similar issues, because you have contacts covering your eyes you can't really feel if their dry so you don't blink as much, especially when under constant stress such as concentrating on riding, making the problem worse. dehydration makes this worse so drink water and blink plenty

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a Shark RSI helmet and love it. I tried contacts but my eyes dry out too fast whether I'm on the bike or just at work.

When you're on the track you really don't get much wind in your face. At least I've never had the problem. I really use the windscreen on the bike and my body is usually in a position where the wind doesn't come straight up my chest, like it does on the street.

Definitely go to the track and have fun. As far as helmets just try on every brand you can find. Get the one that best fits your head and go with that. If the helmet doesn't fit right it's not worth anything.

·
'taking n00bs to school'
95 Posts
I have a scorpion as well and haven't experienced any problems so far. A few things have jumped into my eye but nothing really bad. I would freak out if my contact flipped or something on the highway

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
I just got a KBC and its 1000% better than my HJC. As for the contacts I use a pair of sunglasses to keep the air off my eyes. Also I keep a spare pair of contacts and the small solution we I go to ride.

·
Daily Bike Commuter
104 Posts
Does it also happen when you're not riding? You might have the same problem as me which is an allergy and your eye lid grips onto your contacts when you blink dislodging them. I use an OTC called Zaditor to combat this. Seems to have worked.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had the same issue with an HJC years ago. I wear glasses now all the time anyway but if I had contacts in my Shoei now I think my problem would still exist.

·
Registered
646 Posts
last year when i did alot of highway travel i would get this. never was able to narrow down the problem but i too suspected it was something w/the airflow in the helmet. btw, i had an hjc. now have a shoei so we will see how that works out when i get out there for a nice long ride.

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info fellas. Instead of buying a new lid, I may just save myself a lot of money and buy a pair of those ugly ass harley oakley wanna be glasses with the foam lining around the eyes to block the wind. I too do a lot of freeway riding and it dries my contacts out real damn fast.

·
Ride it like you stole it
1,176 Posts
I have a Shoei and have had my contacts pop out. Its just from the air flow drying them out.

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
i have contacts, and the only time i use them is at the track. i have a suomy if it makes a difference, and a scorpion and i haven't had this issue at all. its going to be safer having your contact fold up at the track, rather than in some country road. you can throw your hand up, exit the track and fix it, rather htan having to ride home with half your vision gone.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I wear contacts and I've had no trouble whatsoever while riding.

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
i've recently started to run into the contact problem. it scares me cuz when you try riding with one eye, its not very fun.. i think the best way to remedy this and i'm gonna do it this summer, is to get lasik. then u dont have to worry about contacts or glasses. oh, and i sport a nice lime green demon looking icon helmet

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
When I used to wear contacts, they never fell out, but did dry out. But you know what the best solution is? Laser eye surgery! I got it and absolutely love it. Of course it cost me $3500, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I've never had issues w/my contacts when riding, but I do carry an extra pair w/me just in case. I usually wear an Arai or Shoei, sometimes I'll use my Suomy, but no issues w/any of the helmets.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i have no trouble at all with my scorpion. i've had to ride home with one irritated before and it absolutely sucked. Blinking more should help... that or lasik surgery. As soon as i have the extra cash, i'll be signing up for that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts