Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have only just read this post. I am always keen to find any gains in power, whilst I have always tighten axle nuts to spec if it has power gains I’ll use it. I have access to a dyno and this Saturday I’m going to dyno my R6, three runs of axle torqued to service manual spec, then three runs at half factory spec. Lets see if the number are there?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
you should also make sure your chain is perfectly aligned and well lubed. On a stock 525 chain I dont see you gaining much on a dyno because the precision of the unit isnt that sensitive. Also if you have a sticky tire... that would result in a loss of hp shown.. A 520 chain/sprockets is about 1 lb lighter.

Easiest way to see the effect of over torquing is the experiment i posted. No load on the suspension.
How much resistance does spinning the back wheel show? This is the "free" hp and basic fundamentals I stated earlier.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Loose the rear (and while at it, front) brakes. There's some drag to be gained there too.
how much money would you like to wager on your incorrect (bordering ignorant) assumption? :thumbdown A properly serviced brake system will not be dragging. Now if you ride around with your brake fluid topped off above the "full" marking or you have gunked up piston seals or over torqued axles or failing wheel bearings... sure youre going to experience "drag". ;)

If youre landspeed or drag racing... brakes are just unnecessary weight.
Also this applies to dirt track bikes as well. They has no front brakes!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
:smile: Alright. I got an experiment. Measure front brake rotor temp before you start your bike for the day. Travel one mile in a vacuum and use your rear brake to stop. Measure front brake rotor temp. What's that? You're not willing to go through the trouble of running the bike in a vacuum!? Well, I guess you'll just have to believe me then. ;) :kiss:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay Dyno’d the bike today, bike is a 2008 R6 with 40,000km and stock everything. All I was interested in was the term “robbing power by tightening to correct torque value”

The results are as follows

Axle tightened to 110nm average dyno was 114.26hp

Axle relaxed and re torqued to 55nm average dyno was 114.82hp

Well it doesn’t rob power as stated.

·
Touchdown!
1,285 Posts
Nope. Look at the standard deviation if there's enough data to extract. 1/2 hp could be based on a wide number of factors - not solely based on the nut.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts