Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had this problem? I was riding to work the other day and noticed my fairing was rattling. I was like :wtf

I stopped at a light, and started looking for the problem. I thought it was just something coming loose, but it turns out my fairing bracket is broken right whre it bolts to the frame. (in front of the steering head)

No crashes, nothing like that. I have no idea how it broke.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Mine was broke in the same place after my "run in" with the old lady...

I used JB Weld and a washer to put it back, all is fine. Or you can buy a new one for like $150! :hammer

Know anyone with a TIG welder?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had mine welded at work twice by a professional and both times it broke again due to landing a little to hard from a wheelie.I bought a used one on e-bay for $120 and it is still intact. I would'nt waste time repairing it if you like to wheelie cause in my experience it doesn't hold up to abuse.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it might be from wheelies, but I usually set them down pretty gracefully.

Rather than buying a new one, only to break it again, I guess I'll try the JBWeld route first.

If that doesn't work, we'll Tig it I guess.

If that doesn't work, I'll duct tape it and say **** it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
there are a couple of really affective aftermarket ones available.
i know graves racing makes one, you can find them on ebay for under a hundred bucks.
mine was broke when i got the bike, so i had my magician dad whip me up a new one, its wicked. that guy can fab anything

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Flatblack said:
i know graves racing makes one, you can find them on ebay for under a hundred bucks.
mine was broke when i got the bike, so i had my magician dad whip me up a new one, its wicked. that guy can fab anything
the problem is no aftermarket bracket will hold the headlight assembly. unless your dad wants to make a few bucks. I would possibly be interested in one or two of his.

texasR6 dont be a cheap skate. :poke you can get a new one from Mr.cycles for $130

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
blue03r6 said:
Flatblack said:
the problem is no aftermarket bracket will hold the headlight assembly. unless your dad wants to make a few bucks. I would possibly be interested in one or two of his.

texasR6 dont be a cheap skate. :poke you can get a new one from Mr.cycles for $130
I'm not a cheap skate, I just take pride in doing my own work when possible.
If I can't fix it, I'll buy (or have my brother fab) a new one.
I was kidding about the duct tape. I only do that on race bikes.

By the way, it's fixed. While it was apart, I put a new background on my tach face. I'll try to get a pic today if I can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i talked to my dad the other day, and he's willling to see how they go.
he's going to make a few for me to try out and see which design i like best.
the WILL accomidate both the headlights, the stock body work, and the mirrors.
he's also going to whip up some rearstands, because i can't see spending over a hundred bucks on something so damn simple.

you guys are going to grow to love my pops.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i made my own out of steel when i bought the bike in pieces, it survived my high side just fine, had to bend it straight but it didnt snap like the brittle aluminum they use. only thing is when i made mine i forgot to make a recession for the display so it is in a custom place, bubble wrap between the fairing and the headlights :)

they are easy to make.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, my bike had a broken fairing stay aswell which I noticed after two weeks of owning the bike. I know for fect that it wasn't involved in any kind of accident or been dropped. I think it's a defective part but what I did was to go down the local hardware shop bought the bolt which is little bit longer to put two washer on each side of the stay, which is bigger than the hole to keep it from rattling. It's been on there for few months now w/o any problem. It costed me about $2 and 5mins of my time to fix this. I was going to buy a new stay for about $150 but decided to save that $ for some other mod :)..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.