Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a trackday this weekend, and had a couple instances where I went int a false neutral. I have sato rearsets with reverse shifting, and have had no issues with it before. It happened a couple times when I was downshifting, and I actually ran off the track once. I would say I'm pretty proficient in blipping the throttle (although I have to admit I haven't rode my bike since the last trackday which was about 2 months ago). Do any of you guys have any recommendations as to what might be causing this problem, besides human error? (maybe i wasn't pressing up the shifter all the way, etc.) I just want to make sure it's not a mechanical problem. Any advice or insight would be great.

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
I tend to get them here and there as well on my 05. I THINK its when I am down shifting a couple gears and i dont let off fully between each down shift but not really sure. They always tell you to shift UP when you get into a false neutral but I always seem to kick down again haha. I have had a couple sideways moments from that

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Adjust the linkage so it throws further when you make the shift. You probably got tired, fatigued and lazy about it and didn't pull up enough..
i actually wrecked last weekend because of a flase neutral shifting from 4th gear to 3rd mid turn.
im certain i just lazily pushed up on the lever (also running gp shift) and just didnt get it forced into gear properly.
Will NOT make that mistake again, could have cost me more then some bike parts and bruises..
walking around the track talking with people, it seems a LOT more r6 owners have coimplaints about it than any other bike. probably just coincidence since when they asked what bike i would say r6 and then id get "the ohhh yea i hear r6 are very common for that..."

·
=]
2,523 Posts
I had my first false neutral this year. Going into a high speed entrance/Very slow corner. Went from 4th to neutral. Luckily, I remember reading that instead of trying to down shift, upshift. Saved my ass.
Nice tip :cheers I'm sure everyone's reaction is to reattempt the shift, whether it's up or down. I'll keep that in mind to always keep it up :laugh

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
Nice tip :cheers I'm sure everyone's reaction is to reattempt the shift, whether it's up or down. I'll keep that in mind to always keep it up :laugh
Yep, my instincts told me to keep trying to go the direction I was going (downshifting). But my brain remembered reading to upshift. I actually think I read that here somewhere.

And reason for my false neutral was pussy-footing it. It was a later session and I was a little tired. I think most false neutrals are due to that instead of something mechanical on the bike.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yep, my instincts told me to keep trying to go the direction I was going (downshifting). But my brain remembered reading to upshift. I actually think I read that here somewhere.

And reason for my false neutral was pussy-footing it. It was a later session and I was a little tired. I think most false neutrals are due to that instead of something mechanical on the bike.
yea my first thought was issues with the transmission, i remember the last thing that happened was hearing a clunk when i dropped into 3rd, then i heard nothing but rev limiter, i looked down for the green light but it wasnt there,, then i was airborne.
since then ive already started the bike and ran through the gears, all is good, no issues at all.
good to know if that happens again to just upshift..

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the input! I'm sure it was a lazy shift on my part. So if this ever happens again, I should upshift to a higher gear? I just want to make sure I save my ass and my bike!

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input! I'm sure it was a lazy shift on my part. So if this ever happens again, I should upshift to a higher gear? I just want to make sure I save my ass and my bike!
Yep, upshift. :cheers

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
I got them on my 2nd gen because I had shitty oil in it... Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
a lot of times it's happening because you aren't completely letting OFF the clutch pedal, so adjusting it so it has a longer throw is counterproductive. just make sure to pay attention to dis too

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Set your slipper clutch up (find the slipper clutch mod thread), then pound on that shift lever. :D

Play around with the linkage settings and make sure the dogleg and Hime joint that connects to the shift shaft is at a 90 degree angle. Smooth clutch release is key, too. I've got woodcraft rearsets with GP shift and never have a problem. Once in a great while I'll do something stupid and have to coast through a corner before I have the balls to start letting the clutch out. lol

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Set your slipper clutch up (find the slipper clutch mod thread), then pound on that shift lever. :D

Play around with the linkage settings and make sure the dogleg and Hime joint that connects to the shift shaft is at a 90 degree angle. Smooth clutch release is key, too. I've got woodcraft rearsets with GP shift and never have a problem. Once in a great while I'll do something stupid and have to coast through a corner before I have the balls to start letting the clutch out. lol
:laugh

Isn't that just the best!? LOL. The whole time cringing hoping someone doesnt' fly into your back tire. This happens to me on occasion as well. :nono

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had a few FNs and I can accredit every single one to lazyness. It was always towards the end of a 20 min session. As soon as I make a big mistake like that I just bring it back to the pits. No need to hurt myself or wreck the bike being stubborn.

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
SOoooo I had another one yesterday 100% my fault. Actually was recording when it happened.

Laziness and a last minute decision are bad bad bad! I just ran off the track and felt like a fool. :nono
Post up that video. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts