Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Creating this thread because I can't seem to find another soul on the internet that has had the exact same problem as me so lets take it from the top.

I took my bike to the shop to get it fixed for this long trip I was taking because it was misfiring. So turned out the piston rings were worn and decided just rebuild the whole engine so I know its safe and sound because I did everything too it. It also got an entire tune up. Now here comes the part when I got it back...

They hand me the bike back (because I was tired of their stupidity) telling me that my ECU is causing my idle to go bad when the fans are on (blaming the ECU because it was flashed). I took the bike and decided I'd do it myself since they wanted me to get a new ECU. I go home and test the bike and test it and test it and basically what it came down to was what I found out today. When the fan relay is unplugged it holds at 14.0 charge, when plugged in and fans are on (195) the idle will go bad and voltage will drop to 12.3v. So I decided to bypass the fan relay thinking that maybe could have been the problem and when turned on at 106 the fans came on idle was good and voltage was a steady 13v. When getting to hotter temperatures like 150 it would drop back down to 12.3. So obviously one of the wires is getting hot or something. So basically going to start from fans and go back to see what is causing it because theres only a few things it could be fans, R/R or one of those wires going to the stator, or stator itself. If you have any feedback that could help please feel free to put your input in. In the meantime I will be out testing the bike when it cold and then warming it up and checking over stuff again.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
We had an 06 that did this quite a bit. When I tried to sync the TBs we could see a huge dip in the amount of vacuum when the fans would kick on. When they kicked off vacuum would spike and settle. Then idle would be OK.

This bike is in dire need of a valve adjustment tho. Till we do that I'm not looking into it much further. Not my bike. So unless I get paid for more troubleshooting and work I won't have much info for a resolution.

It has the tell take symptoms that indicate it needs a valve adjustment. It warms up like crap and barely runs until it is hot. It always stalls during warmup and is a nightmare to restart.

Previous owner neglected it. Crashed it a bunch of times. Tried to blow the motor up unsuccessfully. Rebuilt the forks himself and did it horribly wrong. The bike is a nightmare. A real basket case.

So I'm interested to see what you find the solution to be for sure. Maybe it will save me some time if these issues persist after the valve adjustment

:popcorn:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had an 06 that did this quite a bit. When I tried to sync the TBs we could see a huge dip in the amount of vacuum when the fans would kick on. When they kicked off vacuum would spike and settle. Then idle would be OK.

This bike is in dire need of a valve adjustment tho. Till we do that I'm not looking into it much further. Not my bike. So unless I get paid for more troubleshooting and work I won't have much info for a resolution.

It has the tell take symptoms that indicate it needs a valve adjustment. It warms up like crap and barely runs until it is hot. It always stalls during warmup and is a nightmare to restart.

Previous owner neglected it. Crashed it a bunch of times. Tried to blow the motor up unsuccessfully. Rebuilt the forks himself and did it horribly wrong. The bike is a nightmare. A real basket case.

So I'm interested to see what you find the solution to be for sure. Maybe it will save me some time if these issues persist after the valve adjustment

:popcorn:
Thanks bro I'm still working on it to see just what it is I have a master tech looking at it now if he can't figure it out I guess I'm just going to have to send it back to the same shop and tell them to fix it and I'm not paying for it because it didn't have that problem before and they messed it up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts