Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. I'm getting a fault code #19 on startup after a ton of electrical work for race bike setup. FiTC installed, data acquisition, side stand removed, EXUP removed and all lighting. I was pretty meticulous and didn't cut anything on the factory harness.

#19 is the sidestand fault. I closed the circuit after removing the switch (tried it open for kicks, too)

Motor turns over but doesn't fire.

Thoughts? Anything common before I start digging into diagnostics?

Thx
-D

·
Keep it Rubber-Side Down
272 Posts
Fault Code: 19
Diagnostic Code: 20
Symptom: Open circuit in the input line of ECU No4 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open circuit in wiring harness (ECU coupler).
Malfunction in ECU.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Symptom: Open circuit in the input line of ECU No4 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed.
Malfunction in ECU.
ewwww... that doesn't sound cheap.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Go into the diagnostic mode, go to code 20 and see what it says.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Malfunction in ECU.
Where did you get this from, my manual says sidestand switch..

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you get this from, my manual says sidestand switch..
Yeah, mine too. Bike is a 2009.

I used one of Graves EXUP eliminator plugs, dongle ... whatever that thing is.

-D

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
can you find the resistance of the sidestand "switch" and simply add a resistor inline in that circuit and see what happens??

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did you close the circuit before or after the plug?
Not sure I follow you ...

I added a jumper to close the circuit at the wire harness plug for the sidestand switch. I've had several R6s and can't remember doing anything differently for the sidestand, unless the '09 is different than earlier bikes.

Thx again, guys,

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can you find the resistance of the sidestand "switch" and simply add a resistor inline in that circuit and see what happens??
Haven't yet, but you got me thinking to plug the switch back in and see if it's something else ... maybe the fault code has me off-track and looking in the wrong place.

Thx
-D

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Not sure I follow you ...

I added a jumper to close the circuit at the wire harness plug for the sidestand switch. I've had several R6s and can't remember doing anything differently for the sidestand, unless the '09 is different than earlier bikes.

Thx again, guys,
if u get a chance, snap a quick pic and lemme see what you did.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if u get a chance, snap a quick pic and lemme see what you did.
At the office now and the bike's back in the garage ... I had an extra sidestand switch, so I snipped the connector off the switch, soldered the two wire ends together and plugged it into the connector on the wire harness.

Also, I hooked up the switch this morning so see if there was a resistor or something similar ... bike still wouldn't start. Turns over, with flashing check-engine light and code #19. Do I need to reset or clear out the code, by chance?

Looks like I'm diving into the diagnostic. Maybe one of the harness connectors isn't solid or something. Between the Bazzaz FiTC, AFM, bar switch potentiometers and data acquisition it's getting a little messy. I tried to be as tidy as possible. Ugh.

Hrm, how about the clutch lever switch? As long as the bike is in neutral, it shouldn't matter, right?

-D

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
that's exactly what i did and it should work... sorry dude

as for the clutch switch, i don't have one. as long as the bike is in "N" it's fine. shouldn't be that either...

it's a myyyystery :laugh

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's a myyyystery :laugh
Gee thanks. :D

I wanted to eliminate the mechanic-error things first, then move on to typical loose connectors, THEN move on to the nasty electronic fault diagnostics.

It ran before I messed with it. :sing

-D

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I ran through the diagnostic mode and got this. Any idea what I'm seeing? The first code #16 isn't even listed in the manual I've got. ???

d01: 16

d02: 86
d03: 86
d05: 52
d06: 50
d07: 0
d08: .6
d09: 12.5
d13: 15
d14: 17
d15: 16
d20: off
d21: on
d30+ 00

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
So I ran through the diagnostic mode and got this. Any idea what I'm seeing? The first code #16 isn't even listed in the manual I've got. ???

d01: 16

d02: 86
d03: 86
d05: 52
d06: 50
d07: 0
d08: .6
d09: 12.5
d13: 15
d14: 17
d15: 16
d20: off
d21: on
d30+ 00
Well I know it's 52 degrees out wherever your working on your bike. :laugh Those are diagnostic numbers, not faults. Page 8-44 in my manual. so d01 for example tells you where your TPS is, fully closed is 12-21 and open is 97-106, since yours at 16 you know your TPS is reading correctly.

EDIT: d20: sidestand switch retracted should read on and extended reads off, so the bike thinks your sidestand is down.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Well I know it's 52 degrees out wherever your working on your bike. :laugh Those are diagnostic numbers, not faults. Page 8-44 in my manual. so d01 for example tells you where your TPS is, fully closed is 12-21 and open is 97-106, since yours at 16 you know your TPS is reading correctly.

EDIT: d20: sidestand switch retracted should read on and extended reads off, so the bike thinks your sidestand is down.
good catch... that seems to be your problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts