Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got fear of riding?

Not lack of skill or anything but regarding accidents? I'm having a really hard time getting on my 6, i'm also a new rider. I just see accident videos/news everywhere and my parents,brothers and friends always worrying me and making scared to go out and ride.

All i think about is will i get into a accident or not, its really starting to bother me. How the **** do i get over this? :nono

I'm serious! please dont flame me

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
i dont think it is something you ever get over. every time i get on the bike, i realize that i may never come home. thats when i tell myself "brandon...if its your time, its your time. doesnt matter if youre on the bike or not. now quit being a bitch about it and ride!" and then that gets me on the bike. i did notice it is WAY worse when you just started, and kinda there when you havent rode in a while. seems like seat time is the only way to fix it

·
I intend to live forever.
302 Posts
Riding IS DANGEROUS. No way around it. People just worry about you because they know its dangerous too. I had worries and thoughts... my 5 year old daughter kept popping into my mind. It got even worse when I DID have my accident that put me in the hospital. I still ride.

I've realized that I love to ride and I will always ride. I understand the consequences and realize what can happen. I also realize that something could happen while driving my truck or while walking down the street or getting on that airplane or.... you get the picture.

If it is something that is taking your concentration while you ARE riding, then you need to figure out what you truly want before you get back on the bike. Your head needs to be clear while riding and not worrying about all of that stuff. Thats what put me into the side of that mountain. I lost focus, was tired, and just spaced out.

Only you can decide if you want to ride and accept what may happen. There is risks all throughout life... Its up to you which ones you want to take. ;)

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
I never have FEAR but I get strange feelings and will not ride with them. But in all my years of riding If i did not listen to my gut...I got hurt. Happened last weekend at the track, Told myself to sit of the first session to let the Temps come up, But I went out and crashed.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Gotta leave it up to fate... If it's your time deaths gonna come knocking whether you choke on a steak at a restaurant or your out hauling ass on a back road. When your times up it's up and there isn't anything you can do about it just gotta enjoy the time you've got as much as possible

·
Registered
67 Posts
dude do u really wanna look bak and say " wow i was really afraid to ride bak than.. now i wish i wasn't" dont waste ur time hoping to get on ur bike today and go out there and have fun.. no one knows how much time we all have so might as well live it up.. i'd rather live a short and exciting life than to just survive a boring long one.. and if something was to happen (god forbid) atleast it was something that you liked doing..

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
fear is good. keeps you sharp. quiet ! What was that ? See fear keeps you sharp. PANIC, on the other side is DANGEROUS. you will become irrational, hesitant, lock up, or just plain FREEZE. i say YEA for fear , BOOOOOOO for panics. sush! I heard it again. that keeps you sharp. What do i know i scuba dive with sharks. and yes until the dive is over im a lil afraid. Im the same on a FRESH (anxious) horse. By the way the horse can go or do anything it damn well pleases. the bike only what i wnat it to.. thats how i get over the fear ot the machine.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
im all with bad VIBES changing my plans. If i dont feel RIGHT. Im DONE. HORSE, BIKE, SCUBA TRIP. If i aint feelin it i will bale out. Sometimes it JUST AINT YO DAY. I got what i call my Chicken song. I sing it in my head and it calms me down. pick a song and hummm. /It works for me.

·
loves riding his 6
802 Posts
the only way of getting rid of that fear? is to go riding..

you will become more comfortable as you ride more and more. i think i had that fear too when i started riding.. but didnt stop me from it. i just got out there and payed attention and stayed focused. even to this day when i ride, im always on the look out. you have to be aware of your surroundings at ALL times. esp on the stop light, i hear people getting hit from behind at a stop light, so you have to check your 6.

you have to be a very defensive rider when riding with cars, they cant see you, or they just dont give a crap, or they dont realize how dangerous it is to ride.

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Saddle time and being a defensive rider will lessen the fear you have. With trackdays, I know my limits and how far I can push the bike. Knowing this, I will tell you that my efforts are at about 60 percent of how I ride on the track. The other 40 percent is left to looking out for the texters, cell phone talkers, or the plain idiots who do not give a shit about riders like you and me. Most people here will tell you the fear will keep you on the edge hence making you a better rider.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
lots of good responses here so far. You just can't have that type of mentality. It is dangerous and its a risk we all take to be able to enjoy this aspect of our lives. If you're constantly worried or in fear of riding then you'd probably be better off without a bike.

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Owning a bike requires a different mentality. You have to come to facts that it's not an if you get in a wreck, but when. If you ride a lot it WILL eventually happen. And you have to accept that. And if you can't know that in the back of your mind and still enjoy your bike while you're on it then maybe bikes aren't for you bro...

·
Registered
207 Posts
We are all gunna die in 2012 anyway so go balls to the wall! Just kidding but seriously riding a motorcycle is just inherently more dangerous than being in a cage but I think seat time will help you.I always understand that anything can happen but I also have confidence in myself as a rider to be able to overcome most anything that is thrown at me.I can't stop everything but most things.I'm also kkinda different because I am going to be a cop soon so I'm more focused on not getting shot by a crack head then wiping out on my bike.

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts
I guess that scary feeling is a good thing... It makes you respect yourself more and your machine... Keeps you alert... It happens to everyone...

Everytime you get on, before you ride out... Just meditate, pray, sing or start yelling(Tourette syndrome) style before riding out…:rant

You should be fine.

Safe riding!

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Not a fear anymore but there has been quite a few times that I am out riding city streets and get that "invincible feelings". Not sure how to explain that but I start getting cocky, taking corners faster, wheeling away from intersections and just plain foolish riding for city streets. I know its not a good situation.

I just turn around and head home when I get in these moods. I don't need to hurt myself or anyone else or get any more tickets. The bike will be there tomorrow when I come back to reality and realize im not a motoGP racer.

·
my R6 tickles me.
465 Posts
We are all gunna die in 2012 anyway so go balls to the wall! Just kidding but seriously riding a motorcycle is just inherently more dangerous than being in a cage but I think seat time will help you.I always understand that anything can happen but I also have confidence in myself as a rider to be able to overcome most anything that is thrown at me.I can't stop everything but most things.I'm also kkinda different because I am going to be a cop soon so I'm more focused on not getting shot by a crack head then wiping out on my bike.
:fact

·
VVV That is my Gramps!
472 Posts
I’m going to have to say if you’re dead scared, then maybe riding is just too much for you, however maybe you just need to start off slow with some quite slow rides around your neighborhood, get use to the bike, and riding at slower speeds. Then slowly work your way up to riding in different environments that challenge you, and keep doing that. When you get comfortable, and then dial up the difficulty till you’re comfortable in all situations. Always go with your gut feeling though, I know one time I didn’t feel right about riding and I end up in a crash, I even stopped once to see if something was wrong with the bike and then continued on thinking it was in my head… I should have gone with my gut. The do say that there are 2 types of riders though, ones who have crashed, and ones who are going to:fact, so keep the rubber side down, and always dress for the crash not for the ride.

·
Registered
561 Posts
when i started riding i was pretty fearful whenever i was around cars but that's faded. i still get nervous about going out sometimes just because the risk is always there. when i think about all the corners with gravel on them, all the weird bumps and cracks in the road, and all of the idiot drivers out there i do get scared but i just figure i have the bike to ride it and if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen.

there's a quote that i heard a while back that i try and remember that eases my mind

"i refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death"

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Just to add to this, there are three things you can do to your bike to lessen the feeling of “not in control” when you come to that “oh shit” moment.

1. Get better tires. There are going to be preferences from each person. There are also companies out there that are well advertised which make their tires a bit pricier. I’ve tried numerous brands of tires from BStones to Michelin and now I am hooked on Dunlop Q2. I come to realize that some of the BStones have way softer edge which makes it feel “mushy” in the corners. I don’t like that feeling and I will tell you why in a bit. The Michelin profile makes it “want to turn” in the corners. I want to make it turn when I want to. Again, I don’t like this. I like the Q2s for two reasons. It has a bigger contact patch and the feedback is amazing. The BStones felt sticky but I like feedback when and if my tires are sliding a bit so that I can adjust accordingly.

2. Get your suspension set up properly for “YOU”. If you come in hot in the corner and your suspension takes longer to settle or worse it does not settle, the feeling of “Oh SHIT” is going to happen. A properly set up suspension will make you feel planted in the corner which makes you feel “in control”.

3. Brakes. Steel Braided lines, better brake fluids, and better pads make a difference. Once again, the feeling of in control is what you want.

Most people here in the forum will chime in on fancy exhausts, extra HP, and myriads of different things. Each to their own in making their rides better looking for whatever reasons they may have. I too like those things but I prefer to get my bike setup for me which makes me a safer and better rider. I’ve ridden my STOCK R6 with just the items listed above and beaten liter bikes around the track. Not because my bike is faster but rather it is setup for me which makes me ride her better and my confidence is much higher. Remember to ride your bike rather than your bike riding you. Understand what you did wrong each time you ride and work on that the next time you ride. My .02

Cheers,
Robin

1 - 20 of 64 Posts