Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i been riding for a little over 2 years now and no matter how hard i push i always do better while following someone else. when i'm by myself i'm always afraid of losing traction in the corners, but when someone else is in front, bike or car, I can always go as fast as them without any fear what so ever, no matter how much faster it is than my normal cornering pace.

i know this is probably bad practice, especially if the leader doesn't know what there doing, but does anyone else have this problem? anyone have advice ?

p.s. i think i've read every article on riding technique on the internet during the winter.

·
I heart my R6
464 Posts
I feel the same way...Whenever i ride behind my buddy i feel more confident..

I think its just because you are watching them and know whats coming ahead and know what to expect ect

·
Registered
458 Posts
I do the same thing I know its prolly bad habit but I ride much harder all around when I'm with one or other riders

·
Do or do not...
202 Posts
It helps me to pick a line. I am fairly good at judgeing where I should place myself within a turn, however if I see someone else go before me, I can see where he/she is slow through the turn, and I can adjust so I am faster. Problem, I pick the faster line, I end up riding up their ass.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I always ride alot more aggressively when I'm by myself, when Im with another buddy I always have to slow down for him to catch up. Or when I'm following being a car I stay at speed.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
your supposed to look past someone in front of you. If you are following them and they happen to go wide, where are you going to go?? Probaly right off the road with them.

·
wants to drag knee
144 Posts
i do the exact same thing as the O.P.

·
Registered
394 Posts
ride ur own lines/speeds, especially at corners, u cud run off the road like the lead guy very easily, many such vids on youtube (including harleys), find out ur limits and ride within them
Good point!

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know all about the "you go where you look" and "when in doubt, gas it" quotes, and they have saved my a$$ dozens of times. i don't watch the car/bike in front, but if they are there it's almost like i use them as a measurement of what is possible for that corner as far as speed goes, otherwise i go into the corners way slower than necessary.

I do kinda have a phobia of gravel, dirt, and bumps on the roads though, is there a way to lessen this fear? and no theres no tracks nearby

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i know all about the "you go where you look" and "when in doubt, gas it" quotes, and they have saved my a$$ dozens of times. i don't watch the car/bike in front, but if they are there it's almost like i use them as a measurement of what is possible for that corner as far as speed goes, otherwise i go into the corners way slower than necessary.

I do kinda have a phobia of gravel, dirt, and bumps on the roads though, is there a way to lessen this fear? and no theres no tracks nearby
if you go into the corners slow, just gas it harder coming out :D

i crashed because of gravel...you'll get over it eventually

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know exactly what you mean bro. I NEVER EVER lead. But when i'm riding behind somebody, I have absolutely no problem stayin on his ass. Someone made the comment about how it's not good cause what if he goes wide. Yeah, I follow somebody without any problems but i'm still looking past him. He's there as a gauge to know how fast you can go thru the turn. Of course the guys I ride with know the area and turns a lot better than me which helps. It's just one of those things that helps you get better A LOT. I'm slow as balls if I try to lead 'cause my i'm worrying too much about shit. Its gotta be the fact that If I see with my own eyes that he made it thru...then I can make it thru. If i'm leading...I have no idea really if I can make it thru..plus having to worry about gravel, deer, cops, all that crap....

·
Registered
65 Posts
r6rammy - I wasn't knocking your comment at all and my bad if it sounded like i was. Your comment was definitely a good point of course. I have to remind the newer riders we ride with the same exact thing...to not fixate on whoever is right in front of you..'cause I know that's what they're doing at first. Shoot...I did. I was just explaining how it is for me nowadays.

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
I'll ride a little faster when i'm ahead, but am constantly watching out for gravel and stuff in the road. I keep a good distance when following, so i'll hit corners a little harder if i see someone ahead of me.

·
AFM #327
15,210 Posts
hey no offense taken.... all in good spirits...

i've seen two people go down when we were riding in a group and they were right behind me, and i really dont know if they were trying to keep up with the group ahead and they both went down in corners (one at a ~65mph corner and broke both his arms and the other at a 25mph turn)

dont wann see anyone else go down... it's just too ugly

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
i been riding for a little over 2 years now and no matter how hard i push i always do better while following someone else. when i'm by myself i'm always afraid of losing traction in the corners, but when someone else is in front, bike or car, I can always go as fast as them without any fear what so ever, no matter how much faster it is than my normal cornering pace.

i know this is probably bad practice, especially if the leader doesn't know what there doing, but does anyone else have this problem? anyone have advice ?

p.s. i think i've read every article on riding technique on the internet during the winter.
get to the track and try stay behind a faster rider... you won't in 1 of two ways. 1) you'll just shake your head and won't understand how the **** they are so fast or 2) you will try to make up speed with your throttle and land on your ass.

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
get to the track and try stay behind a faster rider... you won't in 1 of two ways. 1) you'll just shake your head and won't understand how the **** they are so fast or 2) you will try to make up speed with your throttle and land on your ass.
i would die happy if i could ride an actual race track thats nice and clean. the nearest track is miller motorsports complex in utah, thats......way to far for a college student, plus they have hefty entrance fees.

i'm not pro i know that for sure..... i think lol, but i think i would do ok on a track, i'm very well educated and pretty experienced with all the aspects of riding, just scared of these dirty roads around here. the only thing i don't have experience with is braking AND cornering at the same time, i need a clean track environment to practice that.

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
Go to a parking lot at night... That's what I've done, it's similar to turning in a vehicle, just don't use the back break... and you don't push it enough where it will actually slow ur ass down enough to grab something on the ground and spill on ur face. at least that's my opinion, I've only been riding for a month (MSF course on the 5th of next month btw)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts