Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Insert nonsense here
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a bit of an issue that i think you can help me with. My first bike was a 1997 CBR F3 years ago. I had dropped it a few times (not laid it down) being my first bike and all. Not long before i sold it though, i was pulling into my yard (all grass with some dirt spots) like i always do at around 10 mph, when all of a sudden the front end hit a loose patch of dirt and the bike slipped out from under me. I went off the bike and flipped once or twice as the bike slammed on its side and slid a short bit. Messed up my brand new paint and all! lol. Anyhow, to the point. Ever since then i FREAK when i am on the street riding coming into any kind of turn...fast or slow...with any form of loose dirt or gravel. To the point where i try to stand the bike up to ride straight through it. This has almost caused me to wreck or run off the road a few times. The CBR incident happened over a year ago and it's still in my mind. Should I just calm down and ride through it, or are my fears well founded? I just feel like the bike will slip from under me if i put and kind of angle on the bike through loose stuff. I'm super confident through high speed turns on clean pavement though.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol...bribery wont work on this one! She will be added to the wives/girlfriends thread soon enough though. I mentioned it to her about a month ago, and she has been begging me to take more pics of her on the bike. No time yet though. So any real help? :D

·
Insert nonsense here
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The question i am asking can be answered. I made a simple question too involved i suppose. Is it better to ride through the dirt or gravel continuing on my projected path, or do everything i can to avoid it? Will the bike give way, or was what happen to me a simple accident.

·
R6=GO!!!!!!!!
571 Posts
The question i am asking can be answered. I made a simple question too involved i suppose. Is it better to ride through the dirt or gravel continuing on my projected path, or do everything i can to avoid it? Will the bike give way, or was what happen to me a simple accident.
Never been in the situation, I would assume avoiding it if all possible.sorry not much help here. But i do enjoy looking at your avatar:hump

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Just try to avoid those areas and know where the gravel is when you go somewhere. Look ahead and dont make the bike surpass your limits to ride it. Know to take it easy if you are uncomfortable on the road. That is all.:YEA

·
Nut 'N Bitch
1,736 Posts
Just close ur eyes and give it throttle as ur going through the turn. Hopefully it works out :popcorn:

P.S. :boob........:hump

·
Nut 'N Bitch
1,736 Posts
Bike.....? or Girlfriend.....?

·
Insert nonsense here
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike with girlfriend on it

And thanks for all the other info. I did notice that if i see it i do fix my gaze on it. I know better too. That was one of the first things i learned riding way back when. Look around the curve, not at it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
The answer to this one really depends on speed and lean angle. If you have the bike really leaned over and you hit sand or gravel chances are you are going to lose the front or rear (or both). You can be leaned over a bit and the bike will just slide around a bit which will feel like your going down but you can just ride it out. Where I live there is sand and gravel on corners all the time because cars will hit the inside shoulder and it pulls it on the road. This is always unexpected since a clear road the day before can be covered in $#!t the next. In all of my experiences being surprised mid corner I just weight my outside peg, stay steady on the throttle, dont freak out, and just ride it out. This can get pretty sketchy sometimes but is almost always better then standing the bike up and running off the road. I have actually lost both front and rear tires and the bike kind of side stepped about a foot in my lane then regained traction and I went on my merry way. (quickly home to change my undies). If you are going too fast your only option might be to try and swerve and hope for the best. Basically what I am saying is just relax, you can lose traction and just keep on riding.

·
Yes
5,487 Posts
You'd be suprised the correction of steerng input that be made when in a turn. If you aren't traveling at a blistering pace it's not difficult to make a correction in mid turn to avoid the obstacle. If you can't and it's not a large patch of sand try and scrub off a small amount of speed, and I'm not saying grab brakes. Ease on them

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
dont grab brakes try to steer around if possible or hold your line and steer tru if you hold your line the bike will hook up. might slide a little but beats standing up and going into the othe lane. (ouch) or off the road (ouch again.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Look where you want to go.
keep the throttle steady. stay off the brakes until you get to tarmac. Its not a race to get out from where you park the bike. You wont impress anyone by going like a bat out of hell or falling off.
be sensible and also dont lean the bike too much on loose surfaces.
Other option is get a trial bike if you want to ride on that kind of surface

·
Insert nonsense here
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone!!! The responses here as of lately have given me the confidence to keep it steady and not worry so much as to focus on the gravel. I took her out the other day and the roads were slightly wet. I usually don't try any high speed turns in these conditions, but i told myself i had to over come the anxiety and did it. A few spots of loose dirt even got in the way of my line and i rode right through it! Not too bad. Plus, the pics will be coming, She had to go home to go back to work without me knowing, so the shots haven't been taken yet. Here is just a sample to tie things down a bit. The rest will most likely be posted in the Wives/GF thread as i don't want to take away from this one...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts