Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Is there a need for a Federal helmet law?

• Yes to a Federal helmet law!

Votes: 71 68.3%
  • No I want to choose!

Votes: 33 31.7%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my good friend almost became a vegetable for the rest of his life I wanted to take a poll. His accident changed me, and I'll never go without a helmet again. I don't understand how the Government can make a seat belt law for a enclosed car, but no helmet law? I would like to see a vote on this, and everyones opinion. :popcorn:

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
I think a helmet law is def in good thing. If your goal is to look cool on a bike, then you should spend your money on something else. They make helmets for a reason, they save lives. You make a good point about seat belts, that law should go hand in hand with helmets.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I think it should be up to people whether they want to wear one or not. If they want to be stupid, let them be stupid and remove themselves from the gene pool and prove the true value of a helmet and all the wonderful things they can do for us. I see soooo many "badasses" riding around w/ wife beaters and bandanas on their heads tryin to look tough, we'll see how tough you are when your head hits that pavement buddy...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm for the helmet law...:YEA

·
RU R6
1,206 Posts
I'm all for helmets and I'll still wear a helmet in states that don't require it. But I think in those boondock flat farmland states it shouldn't be required. And honestly, there's really no point for helmet laws with those worthless helf-shells being legal....and what's up with the leather vests HD guys wear? What good is that?

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
I'm all for helmets and I'll still wear a helmet in states that don't require it. But I think in those boondock flat farmland states it shouldn't be required. And honestly, there's really no point for helmet laws with those worthless helf-shells being legal....and what's up with the leather vests HD guys wear? What good is that?
lol everytime i see a harley guy wearing one of those half shell's, i laugh. The only thing there good for is so the paramedics can scoop up your brain after your crash. The leather vests...i won't even mention those.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm against it. This is supposed to be a free country.

The answer isn't turning to the federal government, it's turning to the motorcycling community. As a member of the motorcycling community it is your responsibility to help raise awareness of the risks of riding without a helmet. We need to continuously and consistently reach out and spread the word about safety. Asking the government is shirking our own responsibilities. I'm not saying that the motorcycling community needs to accept all those who wear helmets, and reject those who don't, we just need to make sure everyone who rides is aware of the risk. But in the end, we want people to make their own decision.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
:lmao @ half shellz.:wtf

Leather Vests::throwup Sooo damn badass that the world moves out of your way when you fall down and slows down to cushion your fall because you're just so damn bad that the earth is afraid you'll hurt it...

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I'm against it. This is supposed to be a free country.

The answer isn't turning to the federal government, it's turning to the motorcycling community. As a member of the motorcycling community it is your responsibility to help raise awareness of the risks of riding without a helmet. We need to continuously and consistently reach out and spread the word about safety. Asking the government is shirking our own responsibilities. I'm not saying that the motorcycling community needs to accept all those who wear helmets, and reject those who don't, we just need to make sure everyone who rides is aware of the risk. But in the end, we want people to make their own decision.
:werd I think that may have been what I tried to say in my first post...but I haven't gotten to sleep for 2 1/2 days straight...:nono

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
It shouldnt be a law, but it is a smart idea to wear a helmet. I wear almost full gear (helmet, protective gloves, and full length boots) 95% of the time im on the bike. I cruise to the gas station, around the block, or sometimes even to work (its a very short ride of 35 MPH zones) with no lid. I like the option. It shouldnt be a law that you HAVE to.

·
R6 Poser
77 Posts
i say it should be the choice of the rider to wear a helmet or not. but, if a rider chooses to not wear a helmet, that same rider waives all rights to county or state assistance, etc, in the event they are hurt, paralyzed, or killed in an accident that is deemed their fault.

sounds harsh, but why should my tax dollars got to taking care of someone when ample protection exists that possibly could keep them from ending up injured in the first place?

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
i say it should be the choice of the rider to wear a helmet or not. but, if a rider chooses to not wear a helmet, that same rider waives all rights to county or state assistance, etc, in the event they are hurt, paralyzed, or killed in an accident that is deemed their fault.

sounds harsh, but why should my tax dollars got to taking care of someone when ample protection exists that possibly could keep them from ending up injured in the first place?
:stupic

·
Registered
378 Posts
I do not think it should be a law. The goverment controls enough already.

I am in the Army and do not have a choice anyway.

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
Make it a law already. You gotta wear your seatbelt right? Would more lives be saved if everyone wore their helmets? Yes? Medical costs go down? Yes?

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
More laws = Less freedoms.

Don't you guys realize that yet? Soon enough this country will be a republic.

If you want to ride without a helmet, and take a chance at dying sooner... You made the choice. Deal with it. If You don't like me riding without a helmet on. F off. Although I DO make MY desicion to wear a helmet every time, You're not going to here ME bitch at YOU for not wearing your lid

Here's how I feel....Is it gonna be me that dies if you fall off your bike at 65 MPH and do a brain blaster nose dive with 5 and a half twists and an 85 ft asphalt surf? Nope.

Ask me if I'm gonna feel bad for your stupid arse for not wearing a helmet. Ummmm... let me think. NOPE! I'm not. But, will you see me cruising around town with no helmet on. NO.

I wear my gear every time I ride, but I'm not gonna make you wear yours. People can make their own decisions. It's part of life. All you "make it a law" type of people need to get a frigging clue.

People came to America to have FREEDOMS. So, how "american" are you for wanting to make MORE laws......
I mean Really?

*I'm not it a good mood tonight excuse me if I offend*

·
Motorcycle Drive By
791 Posts
Jerry Sienfield said something along the lines of this...

"The only thing dummer then a helmet is the helmet law, the point is which to protect a brain that is functioning so poorly its not even trying to stop the cracking of which it's in."

If you're hoping on a bike without a helmet, thats your choice. I for one am not going to risk it, but thats my choice.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree that there should be a choice in this country. I also agree that the insurance companies should give you a discount if you do wear a helmet. But my point is this. If we all have to wear seatbelts across the country, why not helmets for bikers? I see that about 95 percent of people that have written on here wear a helmet. What's the difference if there is a law then? Yeah am I pissed because the government says I have to wear a seat belt, yes. Will I appreciate it when I wreck, yes. Do I like the Government, hell no.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts