Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just like it says when I'm leaning it feels like the rear tire walks around as if it were way out of alignment. I checked the marks on the rear and they all look good. Bike has not been down and everything is tight as far as the axle bolt, and tensioners. It feels fine when I'm going straight. It's got a new rear tire to. Any ideas would be helpful thanks Mike

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Is this your first new tire? Going from a shagged out tire to a brand new one will always take a little while to readjust yourself. That may be all it is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't put any new tires on it. Honestly it just felt wobbly through turns one day and now I really feel it. I run 35-40psi, more towards 40 due to heat while riding. Does any one know that way to align tires with string or something? I saw a write up on that once.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
...It feels fine when I'm going straight. It's got a new rear tire to.
When you said it's got a new rear tire, I assumed you had just gotten it installed and then the problem started.

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Walking around isn't an alignment issue. You may have to much rebound damping dialed into your back shock.
+1 on this^^^^. Also, you should take out some pressure. Run about 36 cold. Also, check the tire for flat spots. May want to try balancing, but It should be fine. If that has not fixed the problem, it's probably a tire issue. Dismount the tire and check the inside.

·
Registered
45 Posts
+1 on this^^^^. Also, you should take out some pressure. Run about 36 cold. Also, check the tire for flat spots. May want to try balancing, but It should be fine. If that has not fixed the problem, it's probably a tire issue. Dismount the tire and check the inside.
+2 on this.

For me it used to feel really loose.. especially if I were to grab a handful of the front brakes.. the rear would feel real loose. Like I hit an oil spot, but just in the rear. Also, it felt like if I were to use any type of moderate pressure on the rear brakes that it would lock easy.

So, I had the suspension dialed in for me.. (should cost you like $40 at most suspension places, if that).

Now, the bike feels very secure and sure footed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+2 on this.

For me it used to feel really loose.. especially if I were to grab a handful of the front brakes.. the rear would feel real loose. Like I hit an oil spot, but just in the rear. Also, it felt like if I were to use any type of moderate pressure on the rear brakes that it would lock easy.

So, I had the suspension dialed in for me.. (should cost you like $40 at most suspension places, if that).

Now, the bike feels very secure and sure footed.
:toocool:Thanks for that info. I had a pretty worn out tire on and thought the situation that you spoke of was caused by the worn tire. I'll break in my new tire and see if it still does it. Then I'll have the suspension looked at. You said dialed in...loose or tightened?:nocontrol

·
Registered
45 Posts
:toocool:Thanks for that info. I had a pretty worn out tire on and thought the situation that you spoke of was caused by the worn tire. I'll break in my new tire and see if it still does it. Then I'll have the suspension looked at. You said dialed in...loose or tightened?:nocontrol
Both. When I first got the bike, the guy before me had some weird settings and the forks / tree / clipons / swingarm were a little off skew.

After straightening it all out, I put the suspension settings back to default. As OEM never really gets it right for anyone... I took it to a Suspension Shop locally and they dialed it in good.

The front was too soft and the rear was too hard. So, this caused (when applying front brakes) the front to dive easier and the rear to come up easier. Which gave the loosy goosy feeling.

Right now, the bike feels nice and planted. Having your bike set for your height and weight and riding style is, for me, one of the most important mods to make on any bike. Then comes track time.

Let us know how your bike feels after the new tire and suspension settings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I haven't really had a chance to test it yet. I set the psi at 36 and adjusted the chain, not shur if the chain could cause it but needed done. I don't notice it until I'm really leaning the bike hard. I looked over the tire theres no visible flat spots or anything. I'm going to get the sag set this weekend at a shop since I don't own a spanner wrench large enough for the rear shock adjustment. Thanks for the input I'll let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Well I haven't really had a chance to test it yet. I set the psi at 36 and adjusted the chain, not shur if the chain could cause it but needed done. I don't notice it until I'm really leaning the bike hard. I looked over the tire theres no visible flat spots or anything. I'm going to get the sag set this weekend at a shop since I don't own a spanner wrench large enough for the rear shock adjustment. Thanks for the input I'll let you all know what happens.
possibly a technique issue??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I suppose it could be a technique issue. If so any suggestions on what to do diffrently? I'm a fairy new rider but I've pushed the bike hard enough to scrape a peg. I plan on taking it through some twisties after work hopefully all is well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts