Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Here are some general information that may or may not matter. My boots are sidi vortice and rearsets are from lightech; also I am running gp shift and I am 5'10"

My dilemma is this: I can't seem to find a consensus height that will give me comfortable use of the rear break AND the shift lever.

The bike is currently setup with both pegs at the same height and after adjusting the shift rod, the whole setup is pretty ok (it could probably be better). I say this because during downshifts, the gear lever hurts my big toe bone, but it isn't unbearable. The tradeoff is that I have better control over the rear brake and I'm not having to lift my right foot just to get over the brake lever - I can just slide down from peg.

Now, there is another feet position setup that I tried and it gives me the best of both worlds, but I'm unsure if there is a downside.

This setup has me keeping the right peg at the same height, but dropping the left peg one notch down. Of course, dropping that peg down one notch, I will have to adjust the shift rod again, but the result is actually more comfortable. During downshifts, my foot doesn't feel wedged between the shift lever, nor does the big toe bone feel any pain, and I can still just slide my foot down from the peg to make the upshift.

My question is if there is a drawback to having different height pegs. Only reason why I'm not dropping the right peg down a notch is because it would make slow speed maneuvers more tedious having to make a longer motion with my foot to reach the brake lever.

Intuition tells me that at the track I can just drop the right peg down one notch just to have both sides at equal height because I wouldn't be using the rear brake, if any, at all.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
It's fine. The idea is to have the bike be as comfortable as possible for YOU. Leave them different on each side. It's like 1/4 difference and isn't going to change anything as far as weight distribution etc. I haven't use light techs on my bike, but what you describe on the shifter side sounds like you should be able to adjust the shift pedal itself to get the same result. But if not, do what works for you. It's fine

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's fine. The idea is to have the bike be as comfortable as possible for YOU. Leave them different on each side. It's like 1/4 difference and isn't going to change anything as far as weight distribution etc. I haven't use light techs on my bike, but what you describe on the shifter side sounds like you should be able to adjust the shift pedal itself to get the same result. But if not, do what works for you. It's fine
thanks! if anything are you supposed to adjust the rearsets to fit during a full tuck? Currently with this setup, my knees touch my elbows which makes me question if the pegs are setup a bit too high.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
thanks! if anything are you supposed to adjust the rearsets to fit during a full tuck? Currently with this setup, my knees touch my elbows which makes me question if the pegs are setup a bit too high.
I set them so when I lean off the bike for a turn my outside leg locks into the tank easily. Too low and you have to point your toe down and lift your heel to lock the outside leg into the tank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I set them so when I lean off the bike for a turn my outside leg locks into the tank easily. Too low and you have to point your toe down and lift your heel to lock the outside leg into the tank.
could i just throw the bike on a rear stand and see where my outside leg is during a lean or would that not be as accurate as doing a lean at the track?

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Just bring your tools to the track and adjust it there. You can try it at home to get close, but actually being on the track is the best way to tell if you like it.

Shit, my elbows are down past my knees. Again, it doesn't really matter as long as you are comfortable. For me, I'd rather worry about being comfortable during the corners and setting up for the corners.

You spend much less time in a full tuck, and there really isn't much that can go wrong in a full tuck, vs being in an uncomfortable/not optimal position during a corner or setting up for one.

And I agree that it sounds like you should try adjusting the pedal more. Do you have GP shift?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just bring your tools to the track and adjust it there. You can try it at home to get close, but actually being on the track is the best way to tell if you like it.

Shit, my elbows are down past my knees. Again, it doesn't really matter as long as you are comfortable. For me, I'd rather worry about being comfortable during the corners and setting up for the corners.

You spend much less time in a full tuck, and there really isn't much that can go wrong in a full tuck, vs being in an uncomfortable/not optimal position during a corner or setting up for one.

And I agree that it sounds like you should try adjusting the pedal more. Do you have GP shift?
Yes I am running gp shift. I only bring this up because the knees touching my elbow throws me off during a slow speed maneuver on the street when I'm using my rear brake to drop the rear down. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't care. Thinking back I should probably just move both pegs forward and down which makes me feel less cramped in a fetal position lol. Only problem with this is that I'll have less control over the rear brake, which may not be too big of an issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts