Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got pulled over a couple weeks ago and the cop was complaining about my motorcycle being heavily modified (which it's not). Said that my license plate and brake light weren't street legal and wrote me up a ticket.

Not sure if I should fight it or pay it.. I haven't made any mods. Bought it from the dealer just the way it is.

-Los Angeles

Attachments

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I know here in ga that's illegal. That doesn't help you much tho. I'd go to court, but I wouldn't bet on winning.

·
2003 R6
141 Posts
I got pulled over a couple weeks ago and the cop was complaining about my motorcycle being heavily modified (which it's not). Said that my license plate and brake light weren't street legal and wrote me up a ticket.

Not sure if I should fight it or pay it.. I haven't made any mods. Bought it from the dealer just the way it is.

-Los Angeles

Check your state law and how it is written. I'm in Az. and the law says the license plate needs to be visible not legible, 2 totally different things in the eyes of the law. Ones being able to see it, the other to read it. I got that same ticket. Cop was wearing a video camera and recorded the stop as he pulled me over (from behind the motorcycle). With the video, judge felt license plate was visible and dropped the charges. Good luck.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
OP is located in California according to his profile. So anyone that has input based upon another state's motor vehicle laws can zip it.

What was the specific violation?
OP, look on your copy of the ticket and post the CVC code he wrote down.

Judging from the photos you are probably in violation of 24601, 5201, 24607, and your integrated tail light/turn signal violates federal vehicle code Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108 and can also be written up under a few different ca codes.

·
2003 R6
141 Posts
OP is located in California according to his profile. So anyone that has input based upon another state's motor vehicle laws can zip it.

I dont care where you are, you ask a general question, you get a general answer. If the OP really wants to get correct information, dont post on a mtorcycle site, go to your states website of go talk to a lawyer.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
btw, OP, just because you bought it from the dealer that way, doesn't mean it's legal.

I dont care where you are, you ask a general question, you get a general answer. If the OP really wants to get correct information, dont post on a mtorcycle site, go to your states website of go talk to a lawyer.
No. It's not a general question. He is specifically asking about being cited for motor vehicle infractions where he rides, which is California.

Your input on the the law in AZ is of absolutely no help because he wasn't cited in AZ.

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
I know blinkers have to be 7 (?) inches apart or so. So that integrated blinker is a no go. However, cops don't usually pull you over for that. You were probably riding like a dick and he didn't get a chance to get you on radar.

inb4 this place is bomb for legal info

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do live close to you and do have similar mods on my R6 (except i do have 2 small additional side blinkers as part of fender el.) California blinkers do have to be couple of inches apart (i don't remember how many), which you'rs don't appear to be. Did he write the exact reason for the ticket on it?

Definitely don't pay it, and let us know the outcome. if you win (which i think you should), this moron will stop writing tickets for the rest of us lol

-Los Angeles

·
Registered
32 Posts
here you go;

Motorcycles manufactured and first registered
on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles if speed
attainable in one mile is 30 mph or less, are required to be
equipped with turn signal systems with the front turn signal
lamps spaced at least 16 inches apart and the rear turn signal
lamps spaced at least 9 inches apart.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp888.pdf

there is also something about the license plate lamp

good luck.

-Los Angeles

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
You're definitely in violation of that blinker requirement, so if he wrote that up there's no point fighting that one. The license plate lamp is required, but only at night.

Is it just a fix-it ticket? The times I've been written up for stuff like that I just had to correct it, get it signed off, and then pay some BS processing fee. Something like $20. No fine.

·
Chicks Dig Scars
740 Posts
Here's my logic, I used to have my plate mounted like that but I kept getting stopped and I paid for it twice. So I made a custom bracket to move it back to the original location. Problem solved. If I were to get stopped for the lights i'd probably just pay it and move on since i vaguely remember the box saying "For off road use only". Plus I've had these lights for years and I've never had a problem so there's a good chance I wont be stopped again for a while.

The way I see it, just because most cops choose not to enforce a law doesn't make the law invalid. When one decides to enforce that law you have to pay. Almost every mod done to a vehicle is illegal but enforcement vary by officers discretion. If I were you, i'd check the legality of those mods and if it is illegal I'd just pay the fine and keep it moving. Try to determine how often you'd be harassed for those mods and decide whether or not to keep them. Considering you're in CA, it's probably very illegal...:sing

·
Chicks Dig Scars
740 Posts
The license plate lamp is required, but only at night.
Here is NY, it doesn't matter what time of day it is. If something is required, even if it's not in use or needed at the time it's still ticket-able. Not sure about CA but you might want to look into that.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Here is NY, it doesn't matter what time of day it is. If something is required, even if it's not in use or needed at the time it's still ticket-able. Not sure about CA but you might want to look into that.
I did. Here, even tail lights (aside from stop lights) are not required if you're operating the vehicle at a time when they are not required to be illuminated.

·
make the snow go away!!
215 Posts
If you do decide to fight it, even if it is illegal which it sounds like it is, you could try explaining to the person hearing your case that you bought it that way and they could decide to drop it or at least reduce it to a faulty equipment ticket. It's really up to whether you want to take the hours out of your day to sit in the courthouse just to save a little money. Worst case they do nothing and you still have to pay, but you lost time to could have spent doing something else.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
To the people that keep saying "fight it."

Do you realize that this is not a moving violation. There is no "fight it" per se. A judge will not throw out the case, nor will he go outside to look at your bike. He will not throw it out because "you bought it like that."

I did have an exception to this, when I was driving a car that belonged to someone else. Officer wrote the ticket to me, when he was supposed to issue the ticket to the owner. I explained to the judge that I cannot modify a car that belongs to someone else. He threw it out.

OP. Buy a stock tail on the forum. They cost about $35-50. Put it on, and go to a police station. They will sign the ticket off for you. Take it to court before your court date and they will charge $25/per VC that you corrected. And that will be that.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i got the same set up as you, i got pulled over about the integrated tail lights but the cop only gave me a warning. he said that the left /right blinkers have to be 8? inches apart. as for your fender eliminator, it is too far down. both are not really a big deal unless you get pulled over by an douchebag cop. its just a fixing ticket right?

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts

OP, look on your copy of the ticket and post the CVC code he wrote down.

Judging from the photos you are probably in violation of 24601, 5201, 24607, and your integrated tail light/turn signal violates federal vehicle code Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108 and can also be written up under a few different ca codes.
So the OP is only allowed to ride in his home state? :poke

1 - 20 of 36 Posts