Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alot of fender elminitaor kits dont offer the license plate light as an option. does anybody kno any websites that sale fender elminator kits with license plate lite that actually looks nice and not cheesy, or if possible how i can personally install some myself since the wire is still their after u take off the whole stock license plate bracket.

·
Registered
302 Posts
DaMnITKeNNy said:
alot of fender elminitaor kits dont offer the license plate light as an option. does anybody kno any websites that sale fender elminator kits with license plate lite that actually looks nice and not cheesy, or if possible how i can personally install some myself since the wire is still their after u take off the whole stock license plate bracket.
you dont want a lisence plate light :mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hahah i wouldnt but its illegal and i want to avoid cops harrassing as much as possible. any reply is appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
vfx pivot kit: either a blue or white LED light

tobefast.com sells a Libertek LED micro tag light for universal application

i'm sure there are much cheaper DIY solutions, but that's for someone else to address...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooh r6 grrrl u really came through with the suggestion of the vfx . that has ended so much hassle ive been dealing with and is exactly what i am looking for. thank you. although my other ?, it says its designed for the 2003 r6, but it says it can be used for the older model r6 if it has the same 5 hole pattern on the undertail.

other than that do you know what happens to the turn signals if you dont get those also? like does the wires for the turn signals disapear? or just set aside to never be used again? and doesnt that make the blinkers blink faster b/c they been removed. i plan on gettni integrated tail lights with blinkers in them so i wont need the stock turn signals, but iono how that works since modifing turn signals on cars/bikes make them blink faster.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
The turn signal wires split under the tail and would hook to an intergrater kit or aftermarket signals. So basically you wouldn't have a problem with them.

I understand your pain about not have a license plate light. I went through the same thing but I usually do not try riding at night so I really have no problem without one.

The one time that I did get pulled over at night (riding with 3 other bikes) the cop(s) - about 4-5... never said anything about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
DaMnITKeNNy said:
oooh r6 grrrl u really came through with the suggestion of the vfx . that has ended so much hassle ive been dealing with and is exactly what i am looking for. thank you. although my other ?, it says its designed for the 2003 r6, but it says it can be used for the older model r6 if it has the same 5 hole pattern on the undertail.

other than that do you know what happens to the turn signals if you dont get those also? like does the wires for the turn signals disapear? or just set aside to never be used again? and doesnt that make the blinkers blink faster b/c they been removed. i plan on gettni integrated tail lights with blinkers in them so i wont need the stock turn signals, but iono how that works since modifing turn signals on cars/bikes make them blink faster.

if you have any questions about the vfx products and compatibility, i suggest contacting them directly (toll-free)...there's a guy named Paras there who's extremely helpful and he can answer all your questions about their stuff more accurately.

yea basically what rhodes said. you can just leave the turn signal wires unattached and it won't affect anything. when you get the integrator, you can add a relay to keep the blink rate stock. i added the Dr. X integrator when i installed the Pivot kit, and that comes with a Flash Equalizer to handle the blinker flash rate... i have some pics posted of my vfx install at my site http://r6grrrl.scatterbrane.com -- better if you have broadband connection though (3MB flash movie).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
r6grrrrl why did u need the dr x integrator if all u have is the pivot kit, is it b.c u dont have side blinkers anymore for the license plate?also is the flash equalizer easy to install? bc they seem to be sold separatly. i checked out ur page but its not really step by step adn up close. also 1 big question did u get the white or blue leds? also does it shine good if its blue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
r6grrrrl why did u need the dr x integrator if all u have is the pivot kit, is it b.c u dont have side blinkers anymore for the license plate?also is the flash equalizer easy to install? bc they seem to be sold separatly. i checked out ur page but its not really step by step adn up close. also 1 big question did u get the white or blue leds? also does it shine good if its blue?

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have both the pivot kit and the Dr. X kit. the pivot kit is only a license plate holder with an LED light, and Dr. X integrates the rear turn signals into the taillight. the Dr. X PnP version comes with the flash equalizer, which is a breeze to install--you just stick it on the frame with provided doublesided tape. you can download the PDF instructions from their site (vfxkits.com) which are pretty much self explanatory and very accurate before you buy.

i went with the white LED for the pivot because i really don't want to deal with uncle dudley riding my ass all the time :roll:

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
On top of r6grrl's input, you can also purchase the
"Switchboard Assembly" which is just a switch which
allows you to utilize a couple of effects that is built in
the Dr. X Integrator which are: Hazard, and Strobe Effects.

I also recall that they were suppose to come out with
side bracket that bolts to the Fender eliminator if
you wanted to keep the stock signals instead of spending
more money for the Dr. X kit.

"SIDE BRACKETS
For those who do not have a LED taillight kit with turn signal capability, VFX will be offering SIDE BRACKETS to allow for optional mounting of sleek aftermarket turn signals onto the paddles of the Pivot kit R6.
- Side Brackets VFX Part No. VSPK-004-FB; Available August 2003"

Supposed to be released last year, Check with Paras for more info

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks alot guys, alot of helpful tips. i think ima just go with the pivot kit and install some aftermarket turning signals along side it. doesnt look too bad to need to buy the dr X kit. so save some $$ and be safer with distinguisheable turn signals. my other ? is that if i do this, i wouldnt need the the flash equalizer would i since everything is still stock with all the wires, but just cleaner looking. i just dont like that mud flap license plate holder thingy.

also r6grrrl i was wondering with alll that uve done to ur bike, is it still possible to install external blinkers on side of ur pivot kit since u said the rear turn signals are in the taillight? im just confused when u said that b/c i thinking that the stock wires for the turn signals are wired together with the drXkit so that you have no extra wire to install aftermarket turn signals. but iono, also is the blue led too blue or do they shine bright white with a white tint? im thinking of getting the blue

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
I also have the complete VFX Kit. The Pivot Kit (fender Elminator)
that I have has the Blue LED. It is bright blue and I had been around
the cops in traffic and never gotten pulled over for it (knocks on wood)
But I did got a warning from an off-duty officer when I was pulled over
from speeding regarding the blue LEDS and I also didn't get a ticket for
speeing, just a warning. I know it is illegal to have blue lights on your
car/bike here in Cali but it not so strict that they pull you over & issue
a ticket for it.

And regarding the "fast flash", I believe if you use the "Stock turn signals"
you wouldn't have to worry since the load on the wiring will still be the same since you are not really changing the connection. But if you end up
buying aftermarket stalk signals, then you might have the "fast flash"
issue. I kept mine with the "fast flash" since I noticed
it is more visible/noticeable to other motorists.

And "yes" that you can still add external signals but you will have to call
VFX and talk to Paras regarding the "Side Brackets" that they were
suppose to make for the Pivot fender eliminator kit. The stock connection
will be somewhat untouched for the Dr. X integrator since you will be
splicing the wires. So in other words, you can have the integrated effect
& external signals in tandem with each other for signals for visual & safety purposes.

If you really want to save more money, there are do-it-yourself home kits
that you can make. I will try to hunt down the link for you as someone
from this forum did it.
:cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks alot MIKEEY! when u say the blue led is bright blue, it must be noticeable to poeple that is is clearly just a blue dim light? hmmm also if u did get ticketed for the the blue leds, couldn't u just replace the blue led bulbs with white ones from any store that sales led bulbs, imthinking some bike shops must sale it at least radio shack. i didnt kno that aftermarket stalk signals might not have teh same load as stock signals causing fast flash, well whichever as long as all the turn signals flash fast, im happy witht hat, just dont want any wiring problems. and when u said splicing the wire for the signal lights, that cleared everything for me! great info, im set with my goals for now. thanks guys!

fyi i plan on getting the pivot kit with the blue leds, and getting some short stalk signals that are kinda square b/c the round and ovals look to tiny and dont match nice with the larger tail lights of the 01 r6. as long as everything goes i hope its a breeze with the installation of the pivot kit, blue leds for plate light, and aftermarket turn signals. thanks alot all of u. i should be good for cali rules with these legal mods. although the blue leds are still uncertain to me of how dim blue they are or if they are bright blue, or even bluish white. do u suggest gettin the blue leds or white leds. thats my last ? also, thanks.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
and for my 1000 post. at first i bought the pivot kit with blue leds. i got pulled over so much i ended up changing the blue leds to red. to me it looks good.

vfx does sell the kit with white/clear leds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if u got pulled over so many times with blue wouldn't u get pulled over jsut as much as with red leds? i guess im planning on getting the white leds

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
and for my 1000 post. at first i bought the pivot kit with blue leds. i got pulled over so much i ended up changing the blue leds to red. to me it looks good.

vfx does sell the kit with white/clear leds.
Stone, I remember the VFX having the red LEDs too!
I actually tried to get the red LEDs from VFX and talked to Paras.
He mentioned that they stopped using the red ones and they only
had the Blue or White LEDs for choices. That was early this year
so it might have changed already.

I suggest calling Paras @ VFX to get the inside scoop.
And if you are still worried with the blue LED, just go with the
white ones to eliminate any moer hassles.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of the VFX pivot kit on my bike
with the Blue LED lit. Dim light and totally dark. If you decide
for the blue one, you may want to avoid riding too much at after hours.
I think most cops will just give you a warning & a fix-er-up ticket.

I also recall that VFX will exchange the LED's for free.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here is an idea to roll around for those looking for a license plate light on their fender eliminator.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part.cfm?PartID=13670&PartFamilyID=583&SubCategoryID=316&CategoryID=26

I bought a fender eliminator that just had turn signals and a place to mount the license plate, then bought these light bolts. They are actually really bright at night. I live in an area of really picky cops and not once have I been pulled over for them not being bright enough. They look really good mounted up and allow you to keep your license plate tucked up closer because you dont have to mount a big light above it. Just an idea......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts