Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a chunk out of my lower armour bodies. It didn't go all the way thru all the way just a bad scratch. you think I should just bondo it or lay some fiberglass on it?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. It cut into the fiber a bit but nothing structurally damaging imo. Loading the bike into the truck with shit ramps and it bottomed out

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
I wouldn't even fix it. Mine has a similar chunk of resin missing from the bottom, also from scraping a ramp. It's been like that since I got it 2 years ago and it hasn't gotten any worse.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't bother me at all, it's a track bike they aren't suppose to be pretty lol. I'm thinking about paint the bike and wanted to clean that scratch up

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I'd probably just leave it alone. Only issue is that if it is damaged, and you hit it in the same exact spot again, it might punch a hole depending on how many layers of fiberglass there are. Does it feel noticeably softer than the surrounding fiberglass when you push on it?

If you want to repair it, I would just lay another section (maybe an inch or two bigger than the damage) on the inside a couple layers thick, and then a thin layer of body filler on the outside to smooth it out.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These armour bodies flex like hell. I can push on the hole till it hits the header and nothing happens. Only reason it scratched like that is because it was stuck between the header and my ramp.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
Did you plasti-dip your track fairings? Is that what's peeled back on the sides?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup plasti dip. Works real good on the fairings but you can't tape off lines, it'll pull the plasti dip off.
I wasn't sure how I wanted it painted do I used the dip to get an idea if what I wanted before dropping big money on a paint job

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
couldn't you pull the stripe before it dries?
I tried that and failed. If you spray a base color and want another color joined up to that one how do you not tape dry paint.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
Yup plasti dip. Works real good on the fairings but you can't tape off lines, it'll pull the plasti dip off.
I wasn't sure how I wanted it painted do I used the dip to get an idea if what I wanted before dropping big money on a paint job
Did you just paint it all one color then? or how did you use different colors?

Pics please?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you just paint it all one color then? or how did you use different colors?

Pics please?
You must use a white base coat!! even on the grey primer the colors looked dark. I used a white base let it dry then sprayed the orange then black. I let it dry and used painters tape and news paper to make lines but found it pulled up the plasti dip in some spots. I think if you lightly put the tape on it'll pull off no problem, I poised the tape on hard... For most of the straighter lines I just held up a piece of construction paper and held it like a template. I ran out of paint to so the blue could use more. for a 60$ paint job it looks good

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
You must use a white base coat!! even on the grey primer the colors looked dark. I used a white base let it dry then sprayed the orange then black. I let it dry and used painters tape and news paper to make lines but found it pulled up the plasti dip in some spots. I think if you lightly put the tape on it'll pull off no problem, I poised the tape on hard... For most of the straighter lines I just held up a piece of construction paper and held it like a template. I ran out of paint to so the blue could use more. for a 60$ paint job it looks good

Dang that's hot!!! I like it. so plasti-dip it is then! how has it held up to all the wear and tear of the track? and how many cans did you use for all that? yeah i was thinking news paper for the lines or something like that!

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used 2 cans of white and 1 of everything else, just depends how thick you go with it.
It's rubbed off where my knees rub but other than that it's all good. Gas, brake clean, those kind of things take plasti dip off. They make a clear coat for plasti dip that sounds pretty cool

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Example of the blaze colors minus yellow and purple. White base coat also.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
I like that blue green combo!!! I think i know what i'll be doing now! That sucks about taping it tho, i'll try and figure out a solution to that.

You tried blue painter's tape?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On my bike where you can see blue it's green on the other side. I used the green 3m painters tape

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The thicker you spray it the easier it'll be to remove.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts