Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
forgot to edit this. the owner Mike contacted me and explained they fill the bottles by weight and mentioned something I already realized using motul, ester clings to plastic more than regular oil. he suggested I can try standing the bottles on end for a little bit to get more out. and offered to send me a free bottle! which I declined because I'm not looking for a handout. that's a really nice offer you probably wont get with other companies. I have to accept maybe yamalube and motul over fill and yamaha built the sight glass a little high. the motul jug wouldn't fill the crankcase to the full line either. I just have one of those bikes that forces me to buy extra. unlike my 03 R6 that didn't need all the oil in 3 qts.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
They seem to be a "more is better" oil. While I am sure ot is not a bad oil, there are a number of things that make me question their claims:
Why load up on ZDDP and molybdenum if base stocks are so good?
They tout the high TBN of the oil but do not acknowledge that regardless of where the TBN starts, oil needs to be changed when the TBN reaches half the Virgin TBN. TBN and TAN are inversely proportional. That fact is glossed over. Loading up on calcium and magnesium will boost the TBN.
They run a fine line on recommending a particular oil where an API category is called for. Their 10-30 they recommend for API SN applications is over 1620ppm phosphorus!! Hope they will warranty a catalytic converter.
The claim on the ZDDP is flat false. The EPA did not mandate a "near 0 zinc level" in motor oil. The API wrote new standards in response to emissions equipment failures. If the EPA did mandate such then their oil could not contain such an additive.... But it does.
Their claim that API approved oils contain <0.1% ZDDP is false.
That is just a first look at them. I would love to see a VOA and UOA of the oil after 7000 or 10000 miles. It may change my mind.
they fill the bottles by weight........

maybe yamalube and motul over fill and yamaha built the sight glass a little high.
So.....they are selling you oil by the pound? Because a quart is not a measurement of weight. It is volume. That is a huge red flag to me.
I seriously doubt that a company that spends tens of billions of Yen in R&D put a sight glass in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
They seem to be a "more is better" oil. While I am sure ot is not a bad oil, there are a number of things that make me question their claims:
Why load up on ZDDP and molybdenum if base stocks are so good?
They tout the high TBN of the oil but do not acknowledge that regardless of where the TBN starts, oil needs to be changed when the TBN reaches half the Virgin TBN. TBN and TAN are inversely proportional. That fact is glossed over. Loading up on calcium and magnesium will boost the TBN.
They run a fine line on recommending a particular oil where an API category is called for. Their 10-30 they recommend for API SN applications is over 1620ppm phosphorus!! Hope they will warranty a catalytic converter.
The claim on the ZDDP is flat false. The EPA did not mandate a "near 0 zinc level" in motor oil. The API wrote new standards in response to emissions equipment failures. If the EPA did mandate such then their oil could not contain such an additive.... But it does.
Their claim that API approved oils contain <0.1% ZDDP is false.
That is just a first look at them. I would love to see a VOA and UOA of the oil after 7000 or 10000 miles. It may change my mind.

So.....they are selling you oil by the pound? Because a quart is not a measurement of weight. It is volume. That is a huge red flag to me.
I seriously doubt that a company that spends tens of billions of Yen in R&D put a sight glass in the wrong spot.
I worked at a swimming pool chemical company and they weighed the liquid shock gal bottles. so it's not unusual. and the motul gal didn't technically fill the engine either. it only filled it to half the sight glass. the full line is 1/4" higher. that's a lot of oil actually. I just forgot that I should have bought 5qts of motul also. but at least it's between the full and low marks. MPT wasn't enough to get to the low mark.

if they feel the need to add other stuff that just means the whole synthetic oil craze is bullshit then. wouldn't you agree? sorry but it would literally take me 2 years to get you a 10k mile sample lol. I just can't get out that much anymore.
it's not the epa that mandated near 0 zinc it was car manufactures because they claim it hurts converters. lots of changes have been made to motor oils over the years because of car manufactures recommendations. the zinc levels was one of them. so technically using newer oils in older engines can harm them. as for the tbn the bottle says they recommend you change the oil before the 30k it can run if you use it in older worn out engines or if it's operated in severe conditions etc.

I don't know if you've kept up with all the Euro 4 and 5 rules coming to motorcycles but it's going to suck. yamaha had to do away with the onboard diagnostics because of europe. the USA bikes will also be stripped of this and have a ODBII connector like your car has. which is basically useless. at least with the old diag mode you could test the electronics. and none of this had anything to do with our EPA. it's all europe. and we have to go by their rules too now.
just like all this, motor oils also had to adapt to new rules. there's a few articles online talking about how modern motor oils are actually worse than they used to be and you can destroy an old car engine with modern oils. modern engines have had to come up with different materials for the bearings etc just to keep them from being destroyed.

anyway, if synthetics are actually best, then this oil should be fantastic. just like motul and yamalube. it's green like 300v. and has none of the normal crude oil smell. it has a fruity smell like motul 300v. i had a sample result from the motul 7100 i ran before but I can't find it on my desktop or laptop. I guess I deleted it by accident. I don't recall what it had for zinc etc. but from what I've been seeing online most of these expensive oils have about the same zinc levels.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
ok so I'm an idiot and owe MPT and apology. . the manual calls for 4.33qt. shit. that's an odd amount. **** me, this whole time I thought it said 4. :dunce: that means motul and yamalube are over filling their bottles since they come up to half way in the sight glass.

Attachments

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Motul 7100 is 1065 Phos and 975 Z from the start. The 300V is about the same, although with a healthy dose of Moly.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
ok so I'm an idiot and owe MPT and apology. . the manual calls for 4.33qt. shit. that's an odd amount. **** me, this whole time I thought it said 4. :dunce: that means motul and yamalube are over filling their bottles since they come up to half way in the sight glass.
Ha! Good on ya for speaking up. I'm not sure where the 4.33 comes from either. Metric isn't even a round number because that is 4.1 liters.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
just a little update since I've been out riding. put about 400 miles on it so far the shifting is pretty good. seems a lot better than 300v. I felt it to be a little more stiff with 300v. especially 1st to 2nd hitting N because it was harder to move the lever.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts