Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got hooked on riding track days a couple of years ago. Until recently my street bikes have been pulling double duty when it comes to track days. And as fun as my 1198 is on the track, I am starting to get to the point where I am getting faster and no longer want to take the risk with my beauty.

I will still take it to the track but on a much more limited basis. So this leads me to picking up a 2006 R6 for a pretty good price. The guy had dropped it and his wife wanted him to get rid of it.

With this build I wanted to do all the work myself and get the most bang for my buck. First thing first; tear it down and see what I was working with.

And while I was at it, install the AGG smog block off plates. Pretty easy install, once I was able to get all the crap out of the way.

Everything was in pretty good shape. The worst was cosmetic scratches to the stock bodywork (who cares, I am throwing some track bodywork on it) and some scratches on the stator cover. The guy I bought it from thought the forks were bent but they turned out to be just bound up funny in the triples. So score!

Next I threw some Spiegler stainless steel brake lines on it. From this...

To this...

And for the new sprocket kits, I picked up a Pit Bull 520 kit -1/+2.

Then it was time to load it up for her first track day. It was the first track day of the 2013 season. We made the long haul to Albuquerque to take part in the SMRI track day at Napa Speedway.

She performed amazingly! Especially for a mostly stock bike I picked up from a guy who neglected it. She would remain like this for the rest of the 2013 season. During the winter I was able to pick up most of the parts to further my build.

Clear double Bubble windscreen- Zero Gravity
New (shorter) frame sliders- Woodcraft Short Frame Sliders
Exhaust- Yoshimura TRS with M4 Mid-pipe
ECU reflashed- By Bauce Racing (amazing upgrade)
Fuel management- Bazzaz Z-Fi TC Reverse Shifting
Bodywork- Optimal Racing (Bauce racing hooked me up)

I am doing a track day April 6th, the first one of the 2014 season so I am finishing up everything right now. I will post more as I have more time.

·
Post count is gay........
245 Posts
:werd

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
:popcorn:

In for more progress!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Bazzaz is awesome. I have the base model 1198 (originally without traction control) and I have been running the TC unit on it for years. Its a phenomenal system. The quick shifter is super smooth and easy to adjust. The self mapping feature is nice. The traction control is a bit cryptic at first, being its a rate of change traction control system and not wheel speed differential. The baseline 5 map is way to conservative and will kill your drive out of the corners but once you start understanding how to program the traction control map its awesome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, one lesson I learned after installing my smog block off plates and riding it at the track; make sure you tuck the wiring harness for the coils out of the way. Some how the wire to my far left cylinder made its way into my radiator fan and got chowed up. The thing went into limp mode in the middle of turn one. Not cool. But it was an easy fix. Only missed two sessions before I was back on the track.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sweet, man!

I just recently converted the R6 for track duty only.

This year I'll be riding on a Traxxion Dynamics front and Penske rear. Can't wait to feel the benefits of a real suspension. Also excited to feel 115+HP from an R6.

Sweet Duc! My street-going bike is an R1. I am going to sell it next year to buy a motard, but before I do, I'll be tracking it as well. I'm going to bring both the 09 R1 and the 03 R6 and do 2 days at Brainerd International Raceway, and 2 days at Road America. For the other track days I'll just bring my R6.

Have an awesome summer!

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i was actually about to post "you need to sell the street trim now before it gets even more banged up." you can prolly get $400 for it all as it is. that's a good set of race tires. :D not that you need em yet, but when you're ready, that confidence boost is greatly appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts