Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
All about the corners
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it happened.. let me give you just a little background though.

Before I bought my R6 I was doing trackdays with the R1.. Great bike lots of power, best time I could muster at Cal Speedway was a 1:42..

People kept telling me to get the R6 to go faster.. Told me I'd be a better rider. A friend of mine had Damon Buckmaster's R6 from the previous year.. Told me to take it out to try it..he wanted me to buy it.. On the 4th lap, I turned a 1:41...

Well, I didn't want an 2004 R6, so I got the new one 2006, and made it into a track bike.. If you ever get the chance to buy a bike already set up, just do it... it costs way more to do it yourself..

Anyway, you've seen the evolution of my bike if you've been on this forum.. So the first time out to the track I was about equal with the R1.. a very good sign.. and I did get down to a 1:40..a 1:40.04 to be exact.. but the consistent times were 1:44's...

I decided I wanted to do a sub 40.. that was my goal.. went through tires, suspension settings, everything and was not making progress.. Worked on riding position, in fact, for two days in Reno, that's all I did.

Had Phil from Aftershocks set up the suspension settings for me, and that helped a ton!

So Saturday, at Cal speedway..the bike felt awesome... I was carrying more and more cornerspeed :YEA On the front straight, I had indicated speed of 173...so around 160 ish??.., but it was fast enough to draft some literbikes until they backed out of the gas and go right by them :nocontrol..

Was putting in some fast laps in the second session...1:42, 1:41, 1:40..

Then on the last lap of the second session, it happened.. Out of turn 9, three turns before the beacon, I glanced down at the split time and I was at a 1:29...I hammered the gas and posted a 1:39.96. :toocool:

I felt like I won a MotoGP race. It felt so good to break 1:40 at that track, and to be in the 30's now.. it's very good...

It wasn't a fluke either, I posted in the 30's 10 more times Saturday.. so I now have a new goal..... 37. :YEA

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
cool!
I don't know how guys do it but I feel like I'm on the very limit of my abilities running 1:24 and 1:23's at a local track while the fast guys are laying down 1:12's n shit. it boggles my mind they can go that much faster.

·
All about the corners
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Tell me about it... Ben Spies has the lap record at 1:22.. both he and Mat were doing 1:25's in the race.. Where the hell do they find 13 seconds!!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
haha i always seem to think that, how the hell does that bike in front go so fast lol.. anyway sounds like your having lots of fun over there, cant wait to get some track time soon. probs 3 times this year if i am lucky lol.. but i def wont be setting goals like that, just to stay alive and learn as much as i can haha. anyways take care and thanks for sharing lol

·
Knee Draggin Druggie
195 Posts
Dan, congrats bro!! That's f**king awesome! I'll finally be on the track at Mid-Ohio in Sept! can't wait! Once again, bro: mad respect! :werd

Keep Pushin!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Awesome dude, you should be very proud! My friend did the same thing he went from a R1 to a R6 and improved his lap times pretty drastically! Im going there for the first time in Sept. Im really looking forward to Ca Speedway, been wanting to get there for quite some time! Do you know what kind of times you run on Streets of Willow? My fastest was a 1:28.07 after I put some racetech springs and bought a ohlins steering dampner for my bike.

I just purchases a full Leo Vince Corsa system and PCIII which should be in on friday so Im dying to get that on my bike! :nocontrol

·
All about the corners
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll dig the full system..it really does liven up the bike..

I've been out to Streets only once, and that was my first track day ever on the FZ1..I have no idea what the times were..

You should definitely come out to Fontucky... It's a fun track, plus you feel like a pro being in the garages!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

·
Registered
339 Posts
What system do you have on your bike? and what do you think was the best upgrade you did to your's?

Right now I have racetech springs in the front forks, ohlins dampner, 520 kit, -1/+2 gearing, steel braded lines, BMC air filter, and a STM slipper clutch. And as I said before on friday I will have the Full Leo system and PCIII. I wanna do a valving kit next and race fairings. What do you suggest? Sorry to change topics, lol.

·
All about the corners
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R6LIFER said:
What system do you have on your bike? and what do you think was the best upgrade you did to your's?

Right now I have racetech springs in the front forks, ohlins dampner, 520 kit, -1/+2 gearing, steel braded lines, BMC air filter, and a STM slipper clutch. And as I said before on friday I will have the Full Leo system and PCIII. I wanna do a valving kit next and race fairings. What do you suggest? Sorry to change topics, lol.
Well,

Mods in order of actually doing them.. (Tires were the first to be fair)

1. GPR Dampener
2. GYTR Airfilter
3. SS Brake lines
4. Bodywork
5. 520 -1 in the front +1 rear
6. Exhaust/pcIII (Graves full ss system)
7. Suspension revalve
8. Rearsets/quickshifter

Best thing is by far getting the suspension dialed.. The bike is plenty powerful enough...you carry enough drive out of any corner, you'll embarrass any literbike :fact

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yea, thats why Im wanting the revalve kit next. I was already thinkin about the quick shifter too, how do you like that thing?

rear sets are in the works but not really a priority right now, have some crg shorty levers too that I absolutely love. I could tell a huge difference with I put the new springs in my bike, and probably the mod I liked the most would be the STM Slipper Clutch. Its how do you sayyyyyyyyyy "Verrrrry Nice?"

I bout a set of Power Races for the CA Speedway in Sept, it will be my first time on them. I love trying out different tires. So far my fav trackday tires are Pirelli Corsa III's. Only thing is they last one trackday and blue over so bad I'd be scared to use them again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Congrats Dan! I was out at willow the other day... 115 degrees with a cold... kind of sucked but man I love that track. Cant wait to see you on the track next year in WERA :)

·
All about the corners
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jrock7896 said:
Congrats Dan! I was out at willow the other day... 115 degrees with a cold... kind of sucked but man I love that track. Cant wait to see you on the track next year in WERA :)
Yeah...you'll still be kicken my ass :D

Did you get bumped to expert? (Oh please oh please)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts