Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I got really mad cause I saw a couple of bikers run up and down my street going all fast and shit. One of them emptied out 1st gear, or at least it sounded like he did, and so I was thinking if he had done a wheelie, since 1st gear, it could lift. I went and got on my bike, I went to a very safe place, got in 1st gear, went to 10k rpm, got off the gas, and right away got on, but not too much, and the front just slowly came up, and I just held it there, came to shift to 2nd, I let go of the gas, and it came back down very smooth! :) It feels pretty good!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha..just be careful when you do it...and when if ur going to do it, first couple of times, get off the gas at like 7 and then get back on just a little hard, but not all the way..and it might or probably should lift just a little in the front...once u feel the front starting to feel light is when its ur que to take it from there! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried to do it a few times the other day at around 7500 to 8000 in 2nd at around 10 to 15ks the front comes up just nicely. I find doing it up hills helps with confidence as it washes off speed easier and the angle helps get the front up.

Most of my wheelie experience has been on the dirt in which case you can usually just throw the bike if it goes too far resulting in either a ripped seat or broken lever.So if you can try and get hold of a mates(or your own) and practice there. Any 250 2 stroke is perfect.dont bother on a 125 if your over 75 kilos.

I find its twice as hard on the R6 as well, the front feels way heavier and when it drops again its real sudden.Keep your back brake handy too. it may mean the difference between $2000 worth of damage.

Gotta love wheelies. :jump

good luck

·
Registered
293 Posts
hey i never tried them like that. :poke i always go around 20mph in first, pull in the clutch, rev it to around 8-10, then let it out quick but smooth. that seems to work well but ill have to try this way :mrgreen:

·
Registered
293 Posts
if you let the clutch out pretty fast but smooth it will bring the wheel up smooth. isnt there any tire skip when you let off the throttle in first at 10k? you must be going at least 40 right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
success?

Yayo,
any success with the wheelies?
I got a office politics battle at work going on right now so I don't think that I am in the best state of mind to start learning how to wheelie.
But I'd def like to start after the monkey shit storm ends.

So get the bike moving in first, after 7-8, dump clutch and open her up?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
"hahaha "monkey shit storm" that is hilarious"

yea that's funny :roll:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nah, i'm too scared. LOL
That and it's been raining the last number of days. :-\ It' suppose to be sunny Sat tho. maybe i'll give 'er a whirl then. :-D

Alden

·
Registered
293 Posts
give it some more gas. it will seem like too much but it will be good. you wont flip over trust me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
:cuss Keep getting the little headlight wheelies. The kind that brings the wheel off about an inch. :cuss

Plus I get the wiggles on the way down, tank slapper style. I feel like i'm gonna crash. I think i need to give it some more gas? Help :?: :!: :?:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Monkey Shit Storm

After the stench and bad taste left in your mouth, them the only words I could think of to describe it.

But could one of you be kind enuf to us newbies on exactly how to pull off a wheelie?

U get the bike moving, to 7-8k rpm on 1st, pull the clutch, rev above 10 and let go of clutch? Do u just literally open the clutch?

Sorry to be so lame but gotta learn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wheelies!

Ok, here is my take on the wheelie situation. Revving the engine and dumping the clutch is not only bad for the bike, but dangerous: I've seen a guy go over backwards doing just that on his R1. I've found taking the engine up to about 8500 RPM, letting off the throttle slightly, then cracking the throttle about 1/2 way very quickly will lift the front end. You have to be careful about how much you leave the throttle open, or you will soon be bouncing off the rev limiter. Just remember, if it feels vertical, you are only a little bit off the ground. Remember, practice makes perfect.

Shiny side up!

·
Registered
293 Posts
yea the guy flipped over on his R1 which has 400cc more power and the same wheel base. it is a lot easier to do a wheelie on an r1, you can just hit the gas even in third and still bring it up! we are on 6s so you are not going to flip it unless you rev it to like 15 and let the clutch out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wheelies eh ,i find the r 6 one of the easyest 600s to mono yet .
virtually any revs in first drop the throttle then crack the throttle,and up she comes ,could do with some advice on suspension set up mines as twithcy as hell`! any advice?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Whacking the throttle works well only in first gear. When you are in first gear, the bike will be very twitchey especially on one wheel.

Also, you will usually hit the rev limiter in first and have to bring it down

Also, first gear wheelies do not work past like 55mph.

Eventually you will want to clutch tem up in second.

BENEFITS:
Clutching up is WAY more predictable
Second gear is much less twitchy in a wheelie
Clutching up is not as bad for your bike as it seems, if you do it in a
controlled, smooth fashion
You don't have to worry about setting your suspension up to do wheelies
It looks smoother...therefore COOLER

Good luck

1 - 20 of 41 Posts