Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a first bike i would like to get an r6 but i am thinking that maybe i shouldnt get a good bike for the first one. Anyone got any thoughts on what i should buy. My friend has a 96 zx6r hes tellin me to get one of those

·
Registered
257 Posts
well, whether u get an r6 or zx6, ur gonna have to change ur forum name :!: j/k maybe try riding them and see which one fits u better. you dont wanna end up getting one, and then wishing u woulda got the other. always best to look into it before making a purchase.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just got an 02 r6 for my first bike. I was going to get an 05 but my brother in laws who ride said that I would probaly drop it and so to get something older so that I didn't lose as much when I did. They were right, I did drop it. Very little damage but still glad that I didn' t have a brand new 05. Also I think that if I did have something newer I would be so afraid of dropping it that I would never learn to ride to my full potential. I am not even going to bother fixing the plastic on my bike until I learn to ride better that way I only have to think about my safety and not my paint job. Just my opinion.

Also my brother in law used to have a 97 zx6r and he loved it. Sometimes he wishes that he still had it instead of his r1.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I sat on about 50 bikes or so before i choose my first bike....shouldnt comfort come first?

Most bike shops have no problem with you sitting on them and they usually support the front wheel/bars for you so that you can sit in a riding position to get the true feeling of what it would be like.

my .02 cents

·
Registered
112 Posts
picass1850 said:
I sat on about 50 bikes or so before i choose my first bike....shouldnt comfort come first?

:stupic

Ding ding ding we have a winner.... Comfort is one of the top three things I look for in a bike.

·
Registered
302 Posts
gsxkid said:
I am going to be buying a first bike i would like to get an r6 but i am thinking that maybe i shouldnt get a good bike for the first one. Anyone got any thoughts on what i should buy. My friend has a 96 zx6r hes tellin me to get one of those
Get a good bike, but what do you classify as good, I say the 96ZX6R is a good bike, and most likely you will be hooked on riding, so you don't want to be thinking of upgrading, 2 months after buying a "bad" one.

I'd aim for a 99-02R6, or an F3-F4-F4I: Honda and Yamaha are my top choices, but that 96ZX6R, depending on condition and miles ofcourse could be a good bike.

I'm not a fan of Suzuki at all, but AWD turbo is good :cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would say comfort is #1. Before I bought my 03 R6 I wanted a honda F4I. So I went to all the bike shops in town and sat on tons of bikes. I desided that the Honda didn't fit my body size or posture so I broadend my horizons and pretty much sat on every different model and make. The more comfortable you are them more time you will spend in the saddle.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I always liked Yamaha, but I was choosing between the gixxer and the r6. The R6 seemed lighter and more nimble to me. To me the R6 had styling all on its own too, all the other bikes kind of resembles=d each other. Now look at Kaw and Honda they are all making their bikes similar to yamaha. I guess they say if you can't beat em join em.

·
Registered
250 Posts
z31maniac said:
It's not like ANY Race Replica SPORTbike is that comfortable anyway. I don't include YZF600R or Fazer's and stuff as REAL sportbikes.
yeah, you want comfort, buy a cruiser. Of all the 600's though, I agree with most people in that the R6 is the most comfortable to ride.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
My 05 R6, is my first bike. It's comfortable, and so far there isn't one thing I don't like about it. I can't really compare it with other bikes though, cuz I didn't really look into it too much. I mainly compared it with the CBR600RR, and I went with the R6, becuase I like the styling better plus it was lighter in weight.

I have no regrets at all about getting my R6.

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
My 'o4 is my first bike and at first it was just the styling of the bike that made me want it more than any other supersport model. After I got my 6, I sat on my buddies 600RR (my second choice in bike) and I have to say that our 6's are MUCH more comfortable than those bikes. It felt like I was sitting on a piece of cardboard rather than a seat. If you get the R6... you won't be let down.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
my first bike was a 98' yzf 600, not the r6. anyway, i fell in love with the blue, then i trashed it on some desert road in So Cal. after that it was up in the air between ducati and the r6/r1. as it turns out, i can only afford the r6! so that made my choice. plus insurance was cheaper on the 6.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My first bike was a '98 Suzuki Katana. It was heavy and slow, but a good bike to learn on. One Summer and i was ready for my R6. Best move I ever made.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Test rode my friends cbr 600 f4i and gsxr 750 '02, the R6 was what I got and besides the head shake which can be fixed with a damper the 6 is comfortable, light, and f*&^ing awesome.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts