Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone ,

tomorrow im goin to the canyons for the first time. Im excited but a little nerves as well ( not gonna lie ) .

i just changed my rear tire and now both tires are new pilot tires.

throw some "to do" and not "to do stuff" at me

help a brother out . thanks :toocool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
How long have you been riding for?

The best advice i could give you would be ride at your own pace. Who cares if you're slow or holding up people behind you.

If you are following someone don't just get stuck staring at the rider in front of you. Look past him and at the road/upcoming turns. Always be aware of whats coming up a head.

Since you have new tires take it slow and scrub them in first before really getting on them.

Don't follow too close to the rider in front of you, give yourself enough room for anything.

Never cross the double yellow lines! stay on your own lane.

Other then that have a blast!

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
Just ride safe and slow. I cruise thru the canyons.

I ride to the right side of the lane so riders can past on the left.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,411 Posts
I retired from the canyons.

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
Go to the track instead. :hammer

Ride at YOUR pace. Look as far ahead as you can through the turns. If the bike runs wider than you expect, don't panic, stay loose, and push on that inside clip-on. The bike will lean more. I promise.

·
Needs a ride to the track
1,113 Posts
How long have you been riding for?

The best advice i could give you would be ride at your own pace. Who cares if you're slow or holding up people behind you.

If you are following someone don't just get stuck staring at the rider in front of you. Look past him and at the road/upcoming turns. Always be aware of whats coming up a head.

Since you have new tires take it slow and scrub them in first before really getting on them.

Don't follow too close to the rider in front of you, give yourself enough room for anything.

Never cross the double yellow lines! stay on your own lane.

Other then that have a blast!
good info, and good info from everyone. Never try and keep up with more experienced riders. :fact

If you are going as fast you can slow down to about 60 70% of what you can ride at. I can ride the canyons a lot faster then what I do and I have rode Angels crest highway a lot for only riding a year and half. The canyons are not the place to race or prove yourself to anyone.

Sure the guys that have been riding for years longer will poke a little fun every now and then but hey that comes with the turf of being the newb in anything.

You need to be ready for a lot of circumstances that are out of your control for instance you may and this happened to me not long ago. Come in to corner and there be a big as rock in your line. You need to be comfortable enough to avoid anything.

Also if you are a new rider I suggest watching twist of the wrist 2 before you even head to the canyon. It just may safe you from a crash. A lot of guys that are newer riders get up there and will be heading into a turn and since not experienced think that are not going to make it and Target fixate on a huge boulder that is 3 feet from the edge of your lane. Happened to me got lucky and reacted the right way off the brake back on the gas and lean the bike over.

Also go with a good group of guys it makes all the difference. Having a good rider in front of you willing to ride slow and help and you. I have been riding canyons for over a year now and still on Tuesday have a way more experience guy follow me half way up the crest stop and give me pointers like. For instance I always turn in to early on my lefts after him repeating this week after week you are aware of it and start fixing the problem.

Then halfway up he will pass me and I follow his lines to see the difference if he diecides to ride to his potential to have some fun. I would never dare let my Ego get in the way and try and keep up :nono

If you are in the La area add me as friend and when we go if you want you are welcome to go with us. I am not riding canyons right now but will be starting again very shortly. As soon as I can get my reg taken care of and new tires. Cheers and enjoy the ride. :cheers

·
R6 noob
48 Posts
This! I remember my first time in the canyons. I had a bad habit of staring at the rider in front of me. Just beware of your surroundings and look past him ;) Besides that, ride at your skill level and have fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys i appreciate all the tips and advices. i really do.

so i went on friday and i loved it . i was going 50 max at some corners, but mostly between 35- 45 .

i loved it big time. im planning to go every weekend to practice more and get better

thank you guys again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.