Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'd like to take the time and do a small write up on my first race weekend.

Friday - Novice Practice Group
Friday starts and I am seemingly alone with most of the people there I didnt know. I start off slow for the first couple sessions. I pushed and pushed trying to see a 1:53 but the best I could do was 1:55.8. Tire was starting to look a little thin so I decided to go ahead and get new rubber for the Sunday races.

Sunday - Practice Sessions
Tension is definitely starting to build. I become a little nervous and shaky, wondering how well I am going to place. The first session I take it easy so I can scrub in the new SC1 that SCRC put on. Second session out we go out and i start turning some seemingly faster laps when the session gets red flagged. I come in thinking practice is done so i put the bike on the warmers. They call us back out and by time i hit the track I got one or two more laps in. Last practice, I just go out and try and calm myself.

Race #3 SSB NV
I go for the warmup lap and slowly coast through hot pit. I see Thomas standing on the left at my row to help me with my grid position, 11-L. I breathe deep trying to relieve any nervousness so i could just focus on getting to the front pack and not crashing. First wave takes off. I grab half throttle. Green flag is up and I take off. YES! I was in the front of the second wave before turn 1. I start to feel the front end push a little and i know its the front tire being cold so i pay no attention and keep pushing. Pass after pass I make my way up to 7th place with no one in sight at the time. I hold my line for the remaining laps and get a great finish considering my start position

Race #6 SSC NV
Pretty much felt like Race #3 except I got meatballed for a jumpstart, didnt see it, kept going, and got penalized a lap so I ended up 43rd even though I believe I was 6th or 7th.

Race #7 SSA EX/NV
Uh oh, rolling with the liter bikes on the fastest track in Texas. This should be fun. I get a decent start, dicing through the pack making a few passes into turn one. I pass another on the brakes into 3 and twist the throttle. oops tire is slipping. Being a Prov Nov, last thing I wanted to do was crash, so i pretty much gave up at turn 6. I was putting around for a few seconds and thought, I bet the tire just cooled down from no warm up lap. Sure enough, I grab a fist full and she sticks. I put my head down and start making my way back through the guys that re-passed me. I see Guillermo in front of me and another just in front of him. two laps left i push. I catch up at the last half of the last lap. I am thinking how to set up Guillermo for the pass. So i decide to get him on the brakes into 13/14/15. I made it. Up to 6th. i crack the throttle coming onto the front straight and as i see the line, I see Guillermo's R1 barely nose me at the checker. I was happy and learned to take the low line on the last lap :facepalm:

Race #18 SBC NV
Final Race. Im loose. I start in row 7 with no wave start this time. No excuses for me not to be up close to the front. Take off, I go from 16th to 5th before turn 1 out of pit road. I think, YES! Ive got this. I know two of the guys in front of me I can pass. Get those two and try to hang onto 1st and 2nd. They put a little distance on me and I try my best to hold on to Donny Baker. He ends up tucking the front going into the chicane on lap 1. OMG! :eek:mg: Im in 2nd place!!! I cant believe it. I just try and keep myself composed and just try not to crash. Lap 3, going into turn 3, here comes Jon Krez. Oh hell no am I gonna let another Prov Nov beat me so I latch on. he puts some distance on me and I reel it right back in. I could tell where his weak points were (as I am sure he knew mine) so I had to decided where to set up for a pass. The chicane is where I had made some great passes and I was seemingly faster than most of the other Novices there. He blows turn 4 and runs wide so I try and get up under him, but I chickened out and let off the gas for fear of hitting him. So i keep up keep up... I am right on his tail going into the horseshoe. Now i play the waiting game, he takes a slower line through the chicane as I expected and I get a good drive coming onto the straight. I tuck in behind him and use his draft to slingshot me back into second place for turn one. I pushed and pushed. One lap left. I keep pushing. here comes the final turn. I stay low because there was no way I was gonna lose a race to the checker again! And BOOM! My first race weekend and I take home second place.

All in all I had a blast and I cant WAIT to go to ECR next month!

Thanks to:
Thomas Delaney - Could NOT have done it without you man!
P-1 Racing
SCRC
My Family
WFORiders.com
Kirk, Dirk, Blake, AJ, Jimmy, Jose, Brandt, Will, Eddie T
Yamaha
Pirelli
CMRA
Ridesmart Motorcycle School
and last but not least, Hart Photography for the kick ass photos!!!

All Photos:

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JPDeal06/CMRA 4-3-11/

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JPDeal06/CMRA 4-1-11/

·
EMT/FF/Rider
1,563 Posts
Nice dude, sounds like a blast. I'm upset I never got to bring my 6 down to Texas. Would have been a completely different college experience being able to ride with people on the forum and do track days with WFO. Grats on 2nd

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... and I'll tell you something. All the tracks in Texas suffer from bad asphalt (a lot of bumps, seepage, grooves, patch work) and it will definitely make you a better rider and teach you how to control your bike in bad/sticky situations!

·
You see me trollin'
1,910 Posts
Great write up! Sounds like good times.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Thanks... and I'll tell you something. All the tracks in Texas suffer from bad asphalt (a lot of bumps, seepage, grooves, patch work) and it will definitely make you a better rider and teach you how to control your bike in bad/sticky situations!
I noticed that in the videos man. The track has tar snakes everywhere and looks pretty bumpy! You were passing people left and right! VERY badass!

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
thomas delaney = thomass on here, just fyi. ;)

and thanks to agg racing, you could check your pressures and have type 4 lines. :laugh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts