Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey the last two times I have been out I had a problem getting it into first gear at a stop light. It wouldn't even go into neutral. Had to start in second then at the next stop it went into first fine. Ever happen to anyone else? It's only happend twice. Only have 300 miles on it? Big deal or what?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about, but I had something similar happen before:

I downshifted a few times with one clutch squeeze and got it into neutral, still holding the clutch in at the stop. When it was time to go I went to press it into 1st and it wouldn't. Then a friend told me to let go of the clutch and pull it back in and try. Like butter.
Not sure why this happens but it has happened a few times if I don't let the clutch out and re-squeeze.

My suggestion would be when you downshift from third to second, let the clutch out in second, then re-apply clutch for the second to neutral transition, and the same thing for neutral to first. Hope this helps...
:cheers

·
Insert witty comment here
2,787 Posts
try to let out the clutch a little while your in 2nd at the light to get the gears to spin some then try again to get it into first...i think there was another post on here somewhere that listed that....guys...correct me if im wrong on this but im pretty sure thats what ya want to try :burnout

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times too. What everyone is suggesting works. Also, if you just inch forward a little bit you can usually get it into 1st.

·
Registered
416 Posts
theres antoher thread about his .. search for it ... but basically downshift as u slow down and u won't run into taht problem ... if u do find u can't get into 1st/neu. then as they said let go of the cluth till u feel it catching pull it bak in then shift .... or u can roll the bike up .. wahtever wrks for u .. but like i said just downshift as u slow down :cheers

·
Registered
416 Posts
theres antoher thread about his .. search for it ... but basically downshift as u slow down and u won't run into taht problem ... if u do find u can't get into 1st/neu. then as they said let go of the cluth till u feel it catching pull it bak in then shift .... or u can roll the bike up .. wahtever wrks for u .. but like i said just downshift as u slow down :cheers

oh yeah if u want to test it get into 6th gear pull in the cluth and come to a stop .. try to shift into 1st (u won't be able to)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Haha.... cmon guys... best part about having a manual transmission is the downshifting and blipping... So do it ! None of this "i'm gonna be lazy and just shift down into 1st gear instead of going through the gears" balloney... Should be used only in panic/emergency stops
and if you have to stop like that at every light you're probably following too closely or going too fast for anyone's good.

Some benefits of shifting down through the gears would be:
Less brakepad wear
Sweet ass sound your bike makes when downshifting through the gears whilst slowing down (which in turn, can act as a good warning for people who aren't using their eyes to see the red brake lights)
Gets you into the habit of slowing down before so you might not even have to put it into 1st gear/neutral (less KA-CHUNK noises as you kick it into 1st again at the stop)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I had a light change on me and had to stop quick. I usually do downshift to slow down. Thanks for the info!
Glad to hear my tranny isn't the prob.

·
Something Clever
1,272 Posts
The rocking back and forth will help. Also, you can give it some gas with the clutch held in - just a little you don't have to rev it - and it will hop into 1st for ya.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It is caused because everthing in your trans is not lined up properly, just give it a bit of gas while letting out the cluth and it will all work itself out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
njk27 said:
It is caused because everthing in your trans is not lined up properly, just give it a bit of gas while letting out the cluth and it will all work itself out.
:stupic

You don't have to let the clutch out far. Just enough to when the bike starts to move a little bit. Then you can pull the clutch back in and downshift just fine.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Exactly, if it wont get out of N or basically into any gear just let the clutch out with a little gas come with it back in and it will be ready to rock and roll.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts