Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d make a thread on my bike rebuild so far.
Picked up a 1999 r6 back in September of 2021. Already had it planned as a project bike as the harness was absolutely destroyed. However I didn’t spend enough time looking over everything and didn’t realize how truly ratty the bike was. Got it home and started disassembling all the trashed fairings and ran into quite a few surprises, fog light in the ram air hole, headlight mounting backer held together with scrap metal and self tappers, sears snd tail fairing held on with wood screws.
So stripped every piece of plastic off and started getting parts ordered for it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

After getting the bike disassembled I realized the entire bike got the rattle can special and that apparently the didn’t know about tape and newspaper as every inch of the frame, motor, brakes, and even the gauge cluster had spray on it, spent some time cleaning it up and got a new harness installed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About the time I was getting it to crank over on its own and still solving a few electrical gremlins, about 2-3 months later(ebay shipping times was killing me in the beginning) my dad decided he wanted a new bike and would sell me his real cheap. I was already in love with his bike (01 Zx9r) and so I told him I would buy it when he was ready to sell it. With that in mind I lost interest in the r6 as a project and it sat for about 3 months. Come feb of 2022 I bought the bike off of him but he ended up totaling it the very next day. After that died down (he’s alright now, grumpy that he can’t ride a bike for awhile because he broke his femur in the crash) my interest peaked for the r6 again, so I began scouting for parts again and actually came across a parts bike for sale local to me that had a bunch of stuff I needed and was selling it very cheap

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

Got the parts bike home and after looking over it, seeing it had all the electronics in good condition and an r1 fork swap on it. I decided to just swap motors into the non rattle can frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Rim

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle fork Motor vehicle Bicycle frame

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

took about 2 days to swap the motors and let me tell you getting it in is a lot harder than getting it out. Took another day to get the harness all plugged back in and cleaned up. Spent some time cleaning up the carbs and figuring out vacuum lines and got it all bolted Back up. Decided to test start (radiator isn’t back on yet just wanted to hear it try to start, got it to run with a little gas in the carb and some starting fluid and the motor sounded good. So filled up the gas tank and hung it to side, after some persistence and giving the carbs some much needed workout, it finally fired under its own power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dirty motor is the good motor so ended up cleaning that one up with rags and some cleaner and then ordering a gasket kit and swapping covers to get rid of some of the rattle can special. Spent some time redoing the handle bars and just overall getting all the little stuff bolted up. Gauge harness and rectifier showed up today. Need to do an oil change and get the radiator mounted back up. Going to work on it some more tomorrow but it’s been some solid progress so far and I hope to get back riding soon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ran into my first real problem, I can’t get the clutch to dis engage. I can move the arm till it bottoms out and it still won’t let me freely spin the output shaft and sproket. Brand new clutch cable, no slack on the line or clutch lever. And I can see the plate being pulled back when I move it. Anybody know what’s going on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Waiting on a water pump cover o-ring but so far got it running good enough that the next step is getting it sent in for a carb sync and get the front forks serviced. Took it around the block and got her up to 10k rpm and she felt solid. Ran into some minor issues that got fixed. Had excessive crankcase preassure that turned out to be from a piece of plastic lodged in the breather hose, replaced that and it no longer smokes. Just finished replacing the neutral switch today as the one that was in was registering neutral at all. But overall still making progress and it. Very happy to finally ride it

·
Registered
112 Posts
Waiting on a water pump cover o-ring but so far got it running good enough that the next step is getting it sent in for a carb sync and get the front forks serviced. Took it around the block and got her up to 10k rpm and she felt solid. Ran into some minor issues that got fixed. Had excessive crankcase preassure that turned out to be from a piece of plastic lodged in the breather hose, replaced that and it no longer smokes. Just finished replacing the neutral switch today as the one that was in was registering neutral at all. But overall still making progress and it. Very happy to finally ride it
is good to hear that. been there before and get it back to ride is priceless. mine its still running strong. giving a good maintenance to it is all about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so I’m ordering fairings and a fairing bolt kit tomorrow. There was nothing salvageable from the old bike as everything was held together with wood screws. Now my question, I’ve never installed fairings, this is my first bike that actually has fairings. So is there any things I need to look out for or any tips for putting them on?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts