Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, just picked up my first street bike, a 2002 YZFR6. It does not run, I do not know the mileage (cluster was replaced), and it needs some TLC, but picked it up for a steal. Allegedly it was running and started to blow the ignition fuse every time it started. Hopefully not a bad ECU, I have to check the rectifier and look over the wiring harness in general. I am going to mostly tear the bike down and check the compression and pull the carbs out to see what jets and needles it is running etc. and familiarize myself with how my new bike is setup. I have been reading the factory service manual to familiarize myself with everything.

Here's a pic from the seller:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

And here's a pic trailering it home with my other blue 2002 vehicle (WRX):
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

This is a HF folding trailer I have modified for hauling dirtbikes.

I have been riding motocross since 2010 when I was 18, first trail riding and then a few years later going to motocross tracks very regularly during the warmer months. I have a 2017 YZ125 that I ride, and a 2004 YZ125 that my girlfriend has been riding now for a couple years. I am very comfortable sliding around turns and with general motorcycle control over all kinds of terrain.

My gf has a 2012 GSXR600 and has been riding that probably as long as I have been riding motocross. I have serviced her bike a bit, rebuilding the forks and general maintenance. I like riding her bike and I am comfortable on it at this point, but I have not ventured too much into deep turns and really getting the bike very leaned over. I am however comfortable moving around on the seat and getting my weight to the inside of the turn while keeping the bike more up-right. From motocross I am used to squeezing the bike hard with my legs and steering the bike with my lower body/foot pegs, and this has translated nicely to the street bike and keeps my hands nice and loose on the grips. I have read a Twist of the Wrist, and I am pretty analytical about my riding in general. I have my permit and intend to get my license via MSF for the insurance discounts.

My goal is to have fun and not crash, and get to ride with my gf. I enjoy maintaining and modifying vehicles, and I am excited to finally have a motorcycle. I have specifically wanted a 2001-02 R6 for years now, I love the styling and also think it would be really fun to upgrade the forks and possibly swap in an FI motor if I ever get sick of the carbs, but I am used to tuning carbs for the dirtbikes.

I will update this thread with the work I do on the new bike and with questions about riding for all you experienced riders.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
gf got a sister?

Joking of course. Welcome Zhen. Counter-steering works well for the road... can in-act turns almost instantaneously with minimal input.

If the fuse blows instantly, I'd poke some straight pins through those wires then use a volt-meter to test for short(s) to ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funnily enough she has an identical twin, though she is into horses and engaged lol.

I definitely need to practice making counter steering second nature, I think that I do it, but I would like to be more aware of it. Steering with lower body definitely seems to do much less when the speeds get higher, but if nothing else my muscle memory to weight the outside peg in a turn will help with rear wheel traction.

I checked out the rectifier recently and it looks pretty mint, the wires all look good and the connector is not melted at all. I want to 3D print a little scoop to direct air at it. But this also means it is probably not the issue, so I will definitely be checking for shorts to ground in the harness, I will try the pin method you recommend.

@DeadizBetter - I just read through my 02 Service Manual and it calls out fuel injection though all the other information is correct. I just did a search and found a manual for a 1999 here.

Here is a screenshot of the relevant page regarding fuel level (driven by float height).

Font Parallel Rectangle Engineering Paper

Looks like you need a special tool to set this the way they do in the manual, I found several different opinions on what the float height should be when measured with calipers from the gasket surface so I am not sure what it should be. It does seem like the jetting kits you can buy come with specified float heights measured from the gasket surfaces, but depending on the kit the specification is different.

Here is a link to the tool from Yamaha, it looks extremely simple to reproduce for a couple bucks and I will probably just end up making one if I ever need to confirm fuel height level, though I will probably just get a jetting kit and follow their instructions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funnily enough she has an identical twin, though she is into horses and engaged lol.

I definitely need to practice making counter steering second nature, I think that I do it, but I would like to be more aware of it. Steering with lower body definitely seems to do much less when the speeds get higher, but if nothing else my muscle memory to weight the outside peg in a turn will help with rear wheel traction.

I checked out the rectifier recently and it looks pretty mint, the wires all look good and the connector is not melted at all. I want to 3D print a little scoop to direct air at it. But this also means it is probably not the issue, so I will definitely be checking for shorts to ground in the harness, I will try the pin method you recommend.

@DeadizBetter - I just read through my 02 Service Manual and it calls out fuel injection though all the other information is correct. I just did a search and found a manual for a 1999 here.

Here is a screenshot of the relevant page regarding fuel level (driven by float height).

View attachment 379530

Looks like you need a special tool to set this the way they do in the manual, I found several different opinions on what the float height should be when measured with calipers from the gasket surface so I am not sure what it should be. It does seem like the jetting kits you can buy come with specified float heights measured from the gasket surfaces, but depending on the kit the specification is different.

Here is a link to the tool from Yamaha, it looks extremely simple to reproduce for a couple bucks and I will probably just end up making one if I ever need to confirm fuel height level, though I will probably just get a jetting kit and follow their instructions.
Dude thank you!!!! I'm gonna get that little tool Holy crap I'm so excited thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice! I bought an 02 new and kept it until 2016 then sadly sold it with only 12K miles... it was such a blast! These are great bikes, I like the look of the Gen 1 series for some reason.
I've never had any issues with mine but you'll need to drain those carbs or run good non ethanol gas (in case you're going to store it several months through the winter). Good luck in getting it sorted out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are welcome, I wanted to figure it out for myself anyways so NBD.

Thanks for the tips, I could fill it with 110 leaded ethanol free gas before storing it for the winter. I also love the looks of the Gen 1, probably the main reason I got it, otherwise I would have gotten an 05.

If anyone has a dent-less good condition tank (in any color) let me know, I have not come across any on the internet so far.

I move into my new place this weekend (where my R6 is stored right now), and I will get cracking on getting it up and running to enjoy the end of the NE riding season. I have already received a bunch of parts for it, plastic bits that are missing or cracked, and I got a tool to remove the steering stem bearings and replace them. When I last moved the bike and was using the front brake going down the ramp from my trailer, the front end juddered quite a bit, and I suspect the steering stem bearings should be replaced. Was planning to get the All-Balls kit, I use them on my dirtbikes with great success, but let me know if there is a better option for these bikes.

The clutch cable is adjusted all the way out currently and it only feels like the clutch is disengaging in the last 30% of lever travel. Maybe it is a stretched cable, maybe it is a bad clutch, maybe the clutch cover was taken off and when put back on, the arm was adjusted poorly. The previous owner talked of new covers on the motor yada yada BS BS that the previous owner had told him about. So possible but not probable. I will probably buy a new cable for it because it is cheap, and then figure out if it is adjusted poorly in the clutch cover or whether I need a new clutch. I have all the tools to do the clutch already from my YZs, and the clutch disks are surprisingly affordable so either way, whatever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts