Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my first race this weekend. After doing three trackday in beginner group I decided to grow balls and get my race license. This weekend was the first weekend that I ever ran this track cw so I was looking to use all of practice to get some lines in. First practice session I low sided on a off camber uphill turn, known as crash hill. Cold tires and I was trying to follow some ama guys lol, bad mistake. Destroyed my left rearset and bent my clipon. My gas tank was also dented in, I guess my foot slid into my tank. Spent the entire day looking for parts to get my bike ready to race. I had to jimmy rig a Kawasaki shifter side rearset on to make it work. I ended up using Saturday race for a practice since I only had one lap all day on a track I never rode on. During the race the bike did not feel stable at all, so I rode at 80% for the race and still finished second to last? Not sure how but I didn’t end up last lol.

Sunday session, bike still feels unstable all day. Had shitty practices, I finally decided to double check EVERYTHING. I went to the Bridgestone booth and decided to cross reference their tire gauge to mine, turns out my gauge was 10 psi off. My R10s were 25 psi hot when they should have been around 35. I bumped up the pressure and went racing….turned in my best time at the track and finished 20 out of 25. Not bad considering I wasn’t going to run out there cause the bike felt like shit all weekend. Note to self, don’t crash cause it killed all my confidence.

Now I need to rebuild the bike, have to drill out my left side spool as it snapped in the swing arm. Put my stock left side rearset on and run the vortex right side rearset. Also, have to reweld a section of my subframe, and pickup eti sliders to cover the damaged side of the tank lol. Damage wasn't too bad overall.

Can’t wait for next month already. Racing was probably the best decision I have made, so much more fun than trackdays and it was fun riding with mellisa paris, jake holden, and a bunch of the pro ama guys and fast ass lil kids.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
it wasn't too bad, racing does help u drop the times. Managed my best times out there racing. Can't wait for next month to come.
What track?

And that's what everyone says about the times dropping during a race. I have run all my best times during mock races. Can't wait till the first race down here in May!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NICE!! Glad you made it out alive :laugh
Me too man, so much more funner than a trackday.

where's the video?!
Lol my gopro mount broke off in the next practice session. Next race I'll definitely have a video.

What track?

And that's what everyone says about the times dropping during a race. I have run all my best times during mock races. Can't wait till the first race down here in May!
Chuckwalla, Mellis Paris was out here with Josh Hayes. It was crazy riding with those ama guys, so fast. They were breaking records left and right. Racing is so much more fun than a trackday. Nothing like having the flag drop and 30 bikes rushing to one corner.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
fyi, a set of ETI tank sliders will cover that dent right up. :fact hit me up - i'll get ya squared away. :D

·
My R6 eats you.
7,565 Posts
Good on you for getting out and racing man!! Trackdays will seem relaxing in comparison now lol.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Me too man, so much more funner than a trackday.

Lol my gopro mount broke off in the next practice session. Next race I'll definitely have a video.

Chuckwalla, Mellis Paris was out here with Josh Hayes. It was crazy riding with those ama guys, so fast. They were breaking records left and right. Racing is so much more fun than a trackday. Nothing like having the flag drop and 30 bikes rushing to one corner.
That's sick bro. I've had the pleasure of riding on the track with a bunch of AMA racers and it's always fun. Dude's are FAST!!

What are they doing in your novice race group though?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fyi, a set of ETI tank sliders will cover that dent right up. :fact hit me up - i'll get ya squared away. :D
Got me a set from Iris coming! LOL I wish I had them sooner now haha.

Good on you for getting out and racing man!! Trackdays will seem relaxing in comparison now lol.
Hell yeah it is man, nothing like waiting for the flag to drop...so nervous on the grid lol. The final lap was nuts. Probably the best experience I had so far riding a motorcycle.

That's sick bro. I've had the pleasure of riding on the track with a bunch of AMA racers and it's always fun. Dude's are FAST!!

What are they doing in your novice race group though?
Novice and experts practice together, guess that's why there was so many crashes on sat lol. Novice here runs about a 2-2:15 pace. Experts were doing 1:52.

I'm just glad they separated the races, we usually run a two wave start. But I guess cause the novice and expert had 30 riders in each grid they figured this would be safer to have two separate races haha.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Got me a set from Iris coming! LOL I wish I had them sooner now haha.

Hell yeah it is man, nothing like waiting for the flag to drop...so nervous on the grid lol. The final lap was nuts. Probably the best experience I had so far riding a motorcycle.

Novice and experts practice together, guess that's why there was so many crashes on sat lol. Novice here runs about a 2-2:15 pace. Experts were doing 1:52.

I'm just glad they separated the races, we usually run a two wave start. But I guess cause the novice and expert had 30 riders in each grid they figured this would be safer to have two separate races haha.
OK, I understand now. I thought that you raced against these experts as a novice. :lmao

Good for you on getting right into racing. I decided to hold off until I felt I could be somewhat competitive.. I shoulda jumped in head first like you are though. It woulda been money better spent IMO.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Can’t wait for next month already. Racing was probably the best decision I have made, so much more fun than trackdays
Nice! That's the attitude. Remember, the key to your first few race weekends is just survival. If you spend a seasons-worth of entry fees and tire money fixing your bike from a couple stupid falls, it'll be a short, expensive season. :D

And yeah, there are some FAAAAAST suckers on there, huh? That's honestly one of my favorite aspects to the sport ... some people can be so quick on exactly the same hardware. Plus, the difference between the "slow" guys like me (a mid-pack expert) and your average street rider is even more dramatic.

Keep a journal this season so you can look back on how things went. And check out this new racer doc from our club. I wrote it along with our new Novice GTU champion at the end of the season a couple years back. Great info from a newbie who had great success: http://utahsba.com/docs/2011/newracerdoc.pdf

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Nice! That's the attitude. Remember, the key to your first few race weekends is just survival. If you spend a seasons-worth of entry fees and tire money fixing your bike from a couple stupid falls, it'll be a short, expensive season. :D

And yeah, there are some FAAAAAST suckers on there, huh? That's honestly one of my favorite aspects to the sport ... some people can be so quick on exactly the same hardware. Plus, the difference between the "slow" guys like me (a mid-pack expert) and your average street rider is even more dramatic.

Keep a journal this season so you can look back on how things went. And check out this new racer doc from our club. I wrote it along with our new Novice GTU champion at the end of the season a couple years back. Great info from a newbie who had great success: http://utahsba.com/docs/2011/newracerdoc.pdf

+1 My buddy practically swept it down at roebling this weekend. Sends me a pic of him fanning himself with plaques. He's unning 15's when guys like Stefano Mesa running 14.2. This is his second season. Started riding street the same month i did. :nono

It's amazing the talent you see out there.

This thread has me all pumped!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I understand now. I thought that you raced against these experts as a novice. :lmao

Good for you on getting right into racing. I decided to hold off until I felt I could be somewhat competitive.. I shoulda jumped in head first like you are though. It woulda been money better spent IMO.
haha that would of been bad for me, I would of gotten lapped several times lol! Racing probably the best decisions I've made. I'm just lucky my riding buddies are all racers and pushed me into it.

Thanks buddy! Lesson learned for me lol. Good thing my bike wasn't too damaged haha. Some of those kids out there was unreal. Wished I could of gotten into this earlier lol.

I was thinking about that too as well. Keeping a journal of pressure setup, things I did wrong, what sections of the track I need to work on.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
haha that would of been bad for me, I would of gotten lapped several times lol! Racing probably the best decisions I've made. I'm just lucky my riding buddies are all racers and pushed me into it.

Thanks buddy! Lesson learned for me lol. Good thing my bike wasn't too damaged haha. Some of those kids out there was unreal. Wished I could of gotten into this earlier lol.

I was thinking about that too as well. Keeping a journal of pressure setup, things I did wrong, what sections of the track I need to work on.
The kids are INSANE!! I get smoked regularly by a kid on a 125 2 stroke. He's 15 and just got back from trying out for the redbull cup in Spain. All these types of awesome riders that make me wish for my youth back. I've said it before, but these kids get racing lessons and I had golf lessons. :lmao

That's awesome you have racer friends. A handful of people I know just started and that's what's driving me to it. The desire to finish near Dieselboy is what drives me. :laugh

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
I'd jump in with the CMRA but since I'm active duty military I'd hate to see what happens if i get hurt, I've heard stories of UCMJ.....

OP you inspire me can't wait to get out on the track.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts