Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Healed.
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek5 Holy shnikes...

Work two jobs right now...Forecast for today - haze to burn off/chance of T-Showers possible.

So I took her (the R6) to my first job this morning, some fog but the sun was burning off and some blue skies showed up which was nice. When I left there and headed to my next job I saw the sky getting really dark ahead - decided to try to make it home quick and just take the cager to my next job - didn't make it - started sprinkling (but BIG DROPS) so I pulled over and put the rain pants on (not Motorcycle rain paints, just ones i have and keep in my backpack). While I was doing that a crazy flash of lightning and thunder started up as I headed back out onto the road. It was during lunch today, a Tuesday, so there was plenty of traffic and it started coming down like a mutha. MSF course taught me that the beginning of a rain storm is the most slick because of the fresh mix of oil and water so I was taking it REALLLL easy. Shield was fogging up with it completely closed so i had to have it open a little, and I don't have Rain X on it because it's mirror-ed out (not sure if the chemicals will take that off). Visibility got pretty bad and there was some serious water on the roads (it's back roads to my house) I kept 12+ sec distance of the car in front of me and my highbeam on. I was talking to her the whole time through it all and we held onto eachother tight (me and the 6 :) ) Although not a long ride, it was real intense, but I made it safely back home (where it was sunny! and only 15 min away), dried her and thanked her. Think I held my own aright out there for the first rain experience.

Craziest weather you've got caught/had to ride in??

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I hate getting stuck in the rain. One day I went to my bank to make a deposit & was all sunshiny. When get out it's pouring... wtf? I hate that crap. So does anyone know just how bad the rain is for a bike? For riding in rain vs letting it sit in the rain?

·
Registered
167 Posts
MSF is correct.

• Allow up to 30 mins for the rain to drain away that soup of slippery crap
  • Use Plexi to clean the visor
  • to shake off some of the rain, look either right or left when riding
  • stay dry--with the proper gear
  • give more distance for errors
  • realize that you have -- the most -- 80% of the traction in the rain

·
Healed.
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MSF is correct.

• Allow up to 30 mins for the rain to drain away that soup of slippery crap
  • Use Plexi to clean the visor
  • to shake off some of the rain, look either right or left when riding
  • stay dry--with the proper gear
  • give more distance for errors
  • realize that you have -- the most -- 80% of the traction in the rain
Looking to the left and right helped for sure.

·
I got an R6000
114 Posts
I got caught in something like your situation but no rain pants or anything and it was in city driving. The worst part was stopping at stop lights and feeling the rain run down my back and legs. There was some strong winds that really made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I just tried not to make a quick moves and keep visible.

Lets just say I want to NEVER do that again.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
about 3 or 4 weeks ago i saw some dark clouds ahead so i speed up to try and beat it home,well about 12 miles from my house it starts getting very windy and all the cars are getting on the brakes hard from 70 mph,so i am like wtf is going on.we see debris flying all over the road sand,trash,cups,bags.so im like oh man a hurricane or something is coming right.then the rain hits and starts pouring so i keep driving but very slow because the winds are so bad it was blowing me all over the freeway but i didnt want to stop on the side because the winds were so strong i thought it was going to blow me and the bike over.i get home turn on the news and they said 50 mph wind gust and heavy rains. that was the scariest ride ive ever had and it sucked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That sounds pretty F'ing intense! I gotta say, living in Hawaii I never have been through to bad of a storm. Just some rain here and there, it will be interesting when I move up to Houston.

·
Healed.
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
about 3 or 4 weeks ago i saw some dark clouds ahead so i speed up to try and beat it home,well about 12 miles from my house it starts getting very windy and all the cars are getting on the brakes hard from 70 mph,so i am like wtf is going on.we see debris flying all over the road sand,trash,cups,bags.so im like oh man a hurricane or something is coming right.then the rain hits and starts pouring so i keep driving but very slow because the winds are so bad it was blowing me all over the freeway but i didnt want to stop on the side because the winds were so strong i thought it was going to blow me and the bike over.i get home turn on the news and they said 50 mph wind gust and heavy rains. that was the scariest ride ive ever had and it sucked.
That's crazy. I've heard the storms in TX can make it seem like night in the middle of the day.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
riding the twisties in the rain is no fun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
yea... idk i ride pretty regular in the rain but thats also because i use the R6 as my DD

·
I love hot dogs.
144 Posts

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
I kinda like riding in the rain its like a big water ride. The worst weather I got caught in was in March. I live in Salt Lake City, and we got a ton of snow this winter. Anyway the roads were cleared up, and it was sunny outside. I took my bike to work in the morning for a meeting in the morning, but I was on late shift so I was going to ride back home in about an hour and take the car. On my way home its raining, and the rain turned into snow! So I was wet & cold from the rain already, and it got COLDER. My visor was all fogged up and I couldnt see anything. By the time I got home there was a layer of slushy snow on the ground.

·
Is my R6 cool like Phils?
297 Posts
i got caught for the first time in the rain the other day... live in memphis but parents live in a suburb east of there... well since weather here moves to the east and there was only like 30% chance of isolated showers i rode out there (very nice ride) then i walk outside and it was cloudy... decided to leave and well half way home RAIN... but surprisingly was not as bad as i thought - even tho first time was at night... just went speed limit and made sure i was FAR away from cagers...

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
sucks to ride in the rain with Race DOTs......damn power races, i wonder why they have grooves in the tires for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took the MSF Class awhile back, and ironically it rained for about 75% of the weekend. Completed the final test under a full down-pour. Let's just say that the rain was just an another growth experience to the excellent knowledge already delivered through the MSF.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts